Author Topic: Shudall Family  (Read 30917 times)

Offline Angil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shudall Family
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 17:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry I forgot to put in that the Hogans as far as I know belonged to the Mackeys.  Angie

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 00:17 BST (UK) »
The death of a Mary Shudall was registered in the Wexford district last quarter of 1937. (4/432) Estimated birth year seems a bit out though (1840)

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 00:22 BST (UK) »
Ah, so it looks like you have a good bit of information on the next generation.  Perhaps you even know if this 21 South Main St address ties to the later Shudall's shop at 68 South Main St.?  What's this ledger - is it from a shop?   Perhaps you know what became of this George junior?  Perhaps you know the Mackey + Hogan connection?  Neither name is common in Wexford so you may be able to trace that.  

As for tracing the death the main thing to remember is that Shudall can be spelled in a lot of different ways depending on who was writing it down at the time.  So I suspect her death was registered, but the spelling might make the search difficult.  There is a 1937 death registration for a Mary Shudall but it shows her to have been born in 1840 so that can't be your g.grandmother; though I suspect this age of 97 is incorrect; so you could get that certificate to see if the residence at the time matches your line.

Do you know if anyone was left in Cullenstown after Thomas' 1923 death?  And yes, the Shudalls were Protestant, but some of them changed to Catholicism.  Those living are of both religions.

From what you say here, the main question is, how do you know this Mary (not Mac Evay) is Mary Mackay not Mary Shudall?  I presume you have more information which I guess came from oral history?  Perhaps you know Mary Shudall married someone else?

Meanwhile can you tell me the details on the Mary + Thomas marriage certificate?
e
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline Angil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 19 May 11 19:06 BST (UK) »
The marriege cert. of Thomas and Mary Shudall contains: They were married on the 23rd October 1899 in the Chapel of Bannow in Bannow. They don't give their age, just full age. He was a Widower and she was spinster. He worked as a Labourer. He lived in Cullenstown and she was from Grange. Both their fathers George Shudall and James Mackey, (Labourers) were dead. Thomas couldn't write. There is an x for his signature. Their witnesses were James Mackey and Catherine Moore.

George Shudall married a lady called ? Mitten. They had no family. He died in the sixties and his wife in the eighties. George married 21st July 1950. Not sure if there were any Shudalls left in Cullenstown after 1923. George and his wife both died in Wexford Town. The Mary Sudall you have who died in 1937, do you know where she died? I will send you a PM Angie

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 19 May 11 20:00 BST (UK) »
May be already elsewhere recorded;

1911 Eng/Wales census; (Liverpool)

Shudall John P; Duncormick, Wexford, 53, head, married,
Police pensioner & Customs Watcher
---------------
Jack

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Shudall Family tie to MacKay and Mitten
« Reply #41 on: Friday 20 May 11 01:10 BST (UK) »
she was from Grange. Both their fathers George Shudall and James Mackey, (Labourers) were dead.
...George Shudall married a lady called ? Mitten.

this gives you something to go on ... First of all will presume the Grange is Grange, Bannow (there are a dozen more Granges in Co. Wexford).  The 1901 census shows a Margaret MacKey (age 18) and Mary MacKey (age 15) living in Ballymadder with their uncle John Hogan household; Mgt is still there in 1911; also a married Lizzie MacCay (age 30) living in Grange with her father William Audley (so she must have married a MacCay); an Annie MacKay turns up in Cullenstown in 1911 aged 32 (so 1879) whose grandfather was Michael Kearns  - all of these could be related to your Mary.

As for George - wife's death in 1980s implies almost 100 years old.

Re 1937 death - just registered in Wexford district, which is why you'd need to apply for the cert to check the details
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline Angil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 04 June 11 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen, I think I might have found the death of Mary Shudall. I have her death in 1937 and her age at 77. The death was in Taghmon and a Eliza O' Conner was with her when she died. I will look more into this as I think Eliza could have been a cousin. Hope so, will let you know how I get on. Angie

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 06 June 11 01:40 BST (UK) »
That's great Angie. :D 
And interesting as I have Shudalls in Taghmon parish in the early 1800s but then not again until the early 1900s. but not connected to an O'Conner name.  They are connected to a Taghmon family called Watchorn but only since the 1920s.
Perhaps you've seen on the Rathangan parish records that a Mary Anne Shudal, who was born in 1917 in Wennystown to Edward and MaryAnne Shudal, married a David O'Connor in 1957.  As this is twenty years after the 1937 death it's probably just coincidence.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 06 June 11 05:50 BST (UK) »
Has anyone got any details on a JOHN SHUDALL who might have died sometime between 1849 and 1876?  Presumably in Co.Wexford, but I wouldn't rule out others at this stage.

He possibly would have had a son Francis b.c.1826. Perhaps they were from Cooleshall, near Duncormick. John leased and operated a corn mill in Duncormick (from Griffiths Valuation).