Author Topic: Shudall Family  (Read 30925 times)

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shudall Family
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 14 September 17 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen James died in Wexford Hospital with enlarged prostrate. He was sixty years old. I got this in the Records Office in Wexford.

Hatslip, I am researching the Lumley family of Co Waterford but I believe they are also related to the Shudal family of Wexford. You suggest you have done some research into this family so I wonder if what follows has cropped up in your research.

In 1873 Patrick J Breen married Eliza Dowling at the Catholic Church in Wexford - their son Francis John Breen marries Mary Elizabeth Lumley in 1905.

Eliza Dowling I believe is the daughter of Edward Dowling (spelt Dawling in their wedding record of 1844 at Rathangan) and Eliza Shudal. Eliza Dowling was born 1850 Lady's Island, Wexford. I believe her mother Eliza Shudal or Shudall is most likely the child of Charles and Mary Shudal.

Can you shed light on this and if so when Charles was born and died and similarly when his wife was born and died, including her maiden name.

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 15 September 17 05:42 BST (UK) »
Yes notaninch, I do have this line.  However, although Charles and Mary did have a daughter Elizabeth, the Elizabeth Shudall who married Edward Dowling was not her.  Your Elizabeth's father was Francis.  Her mother was Hannah Jeffares. 
Happy to hear more about your Shudall line.
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 15 September 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
Yes notaninch, I do have this line.  However, although Charles and Mary did have a daughter Elizabeth, the Elizabeth Shudall who married Edward Dowling was not her.  Your Elizabeth's father was Francis.  Her mother was Hannah Jeffares. 
Happy to hear more about your Shudall line.
Thanks for the update. Do you have a date when Eliza Shudall was born (and also the year  she died). Similarly when Hannah Jeffares was born and died. Clearly these names are not indigenous Irish names. Shudall sounds like it could be of German origin.  As for Jeffares is this a case of spelt as pronouced i.e. Jeffries which again may be of German origin.

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 16 September 17 01:30 BST (UK) »
Let me start by clarifying my earlier note - Elizabeth's father was Francis.  Her mother was probably Hannah Jeffares.  This Elizabeth was born too early for me to find her birth records.  I have a possible date of death but do not think it is correct. 
In Wexford Jerrares/Jeffaries is just pronounced Jeffers.  The Shudalls have been in Co. Wexford since the late 1600s.  If you trawl the net you will see that Paul Pearce and I have traced this line back to London, where they were by at least the mid 1500s.  Before that perhaps Germany, but more probably France.  Religion varies by line.
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline tmp48

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 10 November 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »
You can View and Save  SHUDALL Marriages  from 1882-1934
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

Example....click on ''image''
Party 1 Name   JOHN STAFFORD
Party 2 Name   MARY SHUDALL
Date of Event   07 August 1882
Group Registration ID   2210610
SR District/Reg Area   Wexford

BRADY...Dublin
CONBOY...Roscommon
CURRY....Dublin
DEVINE...Dublin
McDermott...Dublin
ROONEY...Dublin
POLLARD...Dublin
QUIGLEY...Dublin
LAWLESS...Dublin
SLADE...Dorset
DAVIS...Bristol & Somerset
PERRIS...Somerset
BOARD...Somerset

Offline alisashudell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Let me start by clarifying my earlier note - Elizabeth's father was Francis.  Her mother was probably Hannah Jeffares.  This Elizabeth was born too early for me to find her birth records.  I have a possible date of death but do not think it is correct. 
In Wexford Jerrares/Jeffaries is just pronounced Jeffers.  The Shudalls have been in Co. Wexford since the late 1600s.  If you trawl the net you will see that Paul Pearce and I have traced this line back to London, where they were by at least the mid 1500s.  Before that perhaps Germany, but more probably France.  Religion varies by line.

Hello Hatslip,

I see that you have been researching the Shudall's for some years now.
I am new to the genealogy sites. I have only been on here for two days. I am a novice, so please forgive my ignorance :)   I have a question, I am a Shudell. My granddad (George Christopher Shudell b 1926; Married to Mary Carmel Dunne) was from Co. Wexford. My question: Are the different spellings of Shudell/Shudall related? what does the different spellings represent?

Also, i noticed in an older post someone was looking for a Jackie Shudall that was the last of his generation.  I wanted to let you know that my granddad had a Jackie as a brother; last name spelled Shudell. He was in the Invasion of Normandy in WWII. I just wanted to let you know; i'm not sure how the difference in spelling relates.

We did not know my granddad's family too well. Recently we have been in contact with my dad's cousin's children and are planning to meet. 

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 25 January 18 06:12 GMT (UK) »
My question: Are the different spellings of Shudell/Shudall related?
I have come across at least 20 different spellings for Shudall.  If the name looks like it might have a similar pronouncation and is in Wexford there's a fair chance they were all the same family originally.  Certain branches did however take one particular spelling, rather than another, over time.

My granddad (George Christopher Shudell b 1926; Married to Mary Carmel Dunne) was from Co. Wexford. ...  I wanted to let you know that my granddad had a Jackie as a brother
Yes, I am aware of George Christopher b.1926.  He was the son of Christopher (b.1901) from Patricks Square and Elizabeth Thomas of Hill Street.  I don't have a record of a son Jackie to them.

Re Jackie: Christopher (b.1901) did have a brother John (b.1898 in Cheshire) who had a son Jackie (born c.1930) who lived in Cornwall and was in the army.  Perhaps his father was in the army too?

Did you mean WWI or WWII?

Offline jimbo09

• RootsChat Extra
  • Frederick Hurley - Great Grandfather-in-Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, I’m only now joining the Shudall chat.
I’m seeking information on Charles Shudall, JP of Lough, co Wexford, whose daughter Elizabeth married Robert Hutchings 1785. Charles’ wife was Hannah Humphries. He died 1798.
Robert Hutchings’ sister Grace married Charles Shudall junior, presumably a brother or cousin to Elizabeth.
Charles Shudall’s will was proved 1798.
There have been some mentions of this Charles and Elizabeth within this thread, but mostly it seems this is quite far back in the family.
My info comes from an old printed and annotated tree of the Hutchings family, it has little corroboration, and parts of it are just plain wrong, so any data sources would be very welcome.
Jimbo
Dowzard, Hurley, Johnston, Cleland, Sillery, Hanbury, Sparrow, Parker, Hall

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
The Poole Photographic Collection

>> Group of two commissioned by Mrs. Shudall, 3 Lambert Place, Wexford...

Call Number    POOLER 1732

View in    National Library of Ireland.  NPA Reading Room - Appt. only    
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.