Author Topic: Ireland 1840 35th Foot Deserters  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Denise Robyn Langley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ireland 1840 35th Foot Deserters
« on: Friday 09 July 10 01:20 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Peter Langley from Balla, Mayo, deserted in March of 1840. How might I discover more about him, please? Denise

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland 1840 35th Foot Deserters
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 December 21 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Could anybody help with this old post please?

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 December 21 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, Trystan, there's little to go on here (age? religion? etc.). Civil registration of birth, deaths & Catholic marriages started in 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages) so for earlier dates you need to find a location then see if church records survive (not all early one do & of those that do survive not all are online).
If this is Denise's ancestor then she might know what happened to him after 1840. If, for example, there is a civil or church marriage for him then it might give details which could help trace the family (if he was truthful or even knew the details of his parents, etc.)
Denise did make another post looking for church records which was answered by shanew147 at the time but there was no response-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=473921.msg3334704#msg3334704
Perhaps by now she might have found more information? I see she was logged into RC the other day.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 December 21 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, Trystan, there's little to go on here (age? religion? etc.). Civil registration of birth, deaths & Catholic marriages started in 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages) so for earlier dates you need to find a location then see if church records survive (not all early one do & of those that do survive not all are online).
If this is Denise's ancestor then she might know what happened to him after 1840. If, for example, there is a civil or church marriage for him then it might give details which could help trace the family (if he was truthful or even knew the details of his parents, etc.)

I looked for a civil registration of marriage or death for him. The only Peter Langley I found was a 30 year-old school teacher married in Castlebar registration district 1884. Balla isn't far from Castlebar.
There may be information on his military record.

Added. Baptism registers for Balla date from 1837 so too late for Peter's baptism. Marriages from 1837.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1044
Cowban