Author Topic: John Thomas- Kendal Mayor 1916-1919  (Read 6729 times)

Offline arharris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Thomas- Kendal Mayor 1916-1919
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 September 12 10:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you! That's extremely helpful. 

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 September 12 18:07 BST (UK) »
It may be worthwhile finding out who the depositor was.  As it contains laser scans, I would imagine that the deposit was fairly recent and that the depositor is either a relative or someone who has done some research on JJT.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 September 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
The address on the census matches this information

John John Thomas
of Hawthorn Villa Kendal
died 28th November 1942
probate granted Carlisle to
Harry Bordley Greenwood,solicitor
John Tyldersley Lowe accountant
James Lang Cochrane ,medical practitioner
Thomas Arthur Kerfoot Hughes ,solicitor
effects £34831,0s6d
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 September 12 10:44 BST (UK) »
In 1891 he is lodging in Kendal and is a mining engineer,
I have all ways found the Kendal archive staff extrely helpfull,a visit is a must for you as this person ,seems to have been a particular out standing person in his adopted community,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 September 12 16:03 BST (UK) »
If anyone is able to visit the Kendal Archives of Cumbria County Council perhaps they might be able to look up the 'Westmorland Gazette' archives for the end of November or early December 1942? Given that Mr Thomas was an industrialist, had been involved in the civic life of the town and had been Mayor suring WW1, the local newspaper must surely have devoted a significant amount of space to an obituary, possibly with a photograph?

This request really does need moved to the Westmorland board. It is more likely that anyone who is a regular visitor to the Kendal Archives would be more likely to see it rather than on the Cumberland board. Could the site moderators please consider doing this? 

Good luck with the research!

Offline arharris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 September 12 10:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks  to you all for your help.  I am planning to visit Kendal next month and will contact the kendal Archives before I go.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 September 12 18:59 BST (UK) »
When you are at Kendal there is also the Local Studies Library which has quite extensive holdings. See

http://www.cumbriacc.gov.uk/elibrary/Content/Internet/542/827/39692133336.pdf

I think it would be very worthwhile to contact them as well. It's more Kendal based than the Archives.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,