Author Topic: My Paternal Great Great Grandmothers Challenge!!!  (Read 20755 times)

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
My Paternal Great Great Grandmothers Challenge!!!
« on: Saturday 10 July 10 00:38 BST (UK) »
My Paternal Great Great Grandmother is proving quite a challenge.

I am asking for all your valuable knowledge and input into furthering my plight to knowing more on my Great Great Grandmother Emily Wright.

She was Emily Wright born in Trangie,New South Wales to John Wright, a Stockman.

Mother of Emily is unkown and has never been mentioned on any documents in relation to Emily, like her marriage or death certificates.
So knowing who Emilys mother is or was is one of my many unanswered questions.[/i]

My Paternal Great Great Grandmother was married to Thomas Hawkes and together they had three children.

1. Thomas HAWKES, born 25 June 1902,Nyngan,New South Wales
( Also regestered as Thomas Wright)

2.Emily WRIGHT, born 26 August 1904, Cobar, New South Wales

3. James WRIGHT,  born 1907,Cobar,New South Wales

From the birth of Thomas registered on 14th July 1902 at Nyngan by the Mother Emily Hawkes herself of Duck Creek. It states there was a marraige of Thomas and Emily on 26th April 1901 at Cobar, New South Wales.
To date I have not been able to find this!

It is from here and the birth registrations of her three children that I establish Emilys place of birth as being that of Duck Creek which is located at Canounbar,New South Wales. This is now marked with a monument of stone with a plaque describing the township and where it once existed.

Emily and Thomas made there way north to Queensland where they married in Roma, Queensland on the 20 August 1913. They also had the children registered and they were then the lawful issue of Thomas and Emily. This occured in the September of 1913.
 The children were now legally Thomas, Emily and James Hawkes.

The Hawkes family continued to live in Queensland eventually settling in the Longreach town. Thomas died in Longreach on the 1st July 1947.
Thomas Hawkes was born on the 6th June 1861 in Gundaroo, New South Wales Father John Hawkes and Mother was Mary Ann Davis.

Emily died in The Bethany Home in Rockahmpton,Queensland on the 11 May 1960, aged 92 years old.

From this I have acertained Emily was born around 1868.

Many records have been searched and to date I have come up with none that support the life of Emily, my Great Great Grandmother from her birth in 1868 up until her birth of her first child Thomas in 1902.

Just to throw an oral account into Emilys life it was always known by her family of the Longreach area that she was of the Wellington Area and of MAORI decent.

I had to disagree with this after the knowledge I was gathering not supporting any of that oral account.

As you can well imagine this was a fine line to tread with the family and suggesting quite a different line of decent was  one I had to approach with much tact.  This is my opinion and mine alone and I do not wish to offend anyone but just further my wanting to learn the truth and discover my great Great Grandmothers ancestory.

I have many oral accounts of what might be but none that are factual!

Thanking all you valuable researchers and hopefully together something can be gleaned from all this to further my research.
Jill

Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: My Paternal Great Great Grandmothers Challenge!!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 July 10 02:09 BST (UK) »
Have you checked out this certificate?

NSW BDM

11342/1865  Emily I    WRIGHT  Parents:    JOHN  and Rhoda -  registration  MORPETH 

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 July 10 02:27 BST (UK) »
Marriage: V1854759 41B/1854  John WRIGHT  Rhoda  PRESLAND     

Area of registration includes: Black Creek, Bulwarra, Cloden, East Maitland, Hinton, Hunter District, Maitland, Morpeth, West Maitland

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 July 10 02:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill
after checking out the sometimes very precise dates of births, marriages and deaths both in Queensland and NSW I am seriously beginning to doubt myself. This is because the only dates I can verify are those of the births of Thomas and Emily Hawkes' 3 children registered in NSW.
I cannot find Thomas Hawke's birth (or a marriage of his parents using the names you gave) or a Thomas born to a John and Mary Ann Davis between 1800 and 1900 in NSW
There are four possible births of an Emily Hawke but the closest in place is Bathurst otherwise the one in Morpeth.
There are also four births for an Emily Wright in NZ for the time frame, the closest being 1869.
Similarly in Queensland I can't find the deaths of Thomas and Emily either   Do you have the certificates for the Queensland marriage, the re-registering of the births of their children and the death certificates of Thomas and Emily?
Whatever information is on birth, marriage and death certificates can be very suspect as it is reliant on the informer  wanting to tell the truth or even on whether they know the truth. We have to work around it. Similarly with family stories which can be outright fantasy or part truth.
Please put me out of my misery and give the references for the BMD details :)

Offline Raylen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 July 10 02:44 BST (UK) »
Similarly in Queensland I can't find the deaths of Thomas and Emily either  

1947/C2572  Thomas HAWKES
Father: John  Mother:  Mary Davis

1960/C2361  Emily HAWKES
No parents listed

Raylen
Tuck-Baydon,Wiltshire
Woolford-Hampshire
Christie-Stirling

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 July 10 03:00 BST (UK) »

NSW BDM

11342/1865  Emily I    WRIGHT  Parents:    JOHN  and Rhoda -  registration  MORPETH 

Jamjar

Thanks for this suggestion, this was one of my first and earliest option back in July 1997. I cant see any connection here at all. I do have acopy of this birth certificate.
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 July 10 03:02 BST (UK) »

NSW BDM

Jamjar

I have not pursued this
Jill
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 July 10 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill
after checking out the sometimes very precise dates of births, marriages and deaths both in Queensland and NSW I am seriously beginning to doubt myself. This is because the only dates I can verify are those of the births of Thomas and Emily Hawkes' 3 children registered in NSW.
I cannot find Thomas Hawke's birth (or a marriage of his parents using the names you gave) or a Thomas born to a John and Mary Ann Davis between 1800 and 1900 in NSW
There are four possible births of an Emily Hawke but the closest in place is Bathurst otherwise the one in Morpeth.
There are also four births for an Emily Wright in NZ for the time frame, the closest being 1869.
Similarly in Queensland I can't find the deaths of Thomas and Emily either   Do you have the certificates for the Queensland marriage, the re-registering of the births of their children and the death certificates of Thomas and Emily?
Whatever information is on birth, marriage and death certificates can be very suspect as it is reliant on the informer  wanting to tell the truth or even on whether they know the truth. We have to work around it. Similarly with family stories which can be outright fantasy or part truth.
Thomas Hawkes birth Ref#in N.S.W. is 24762, mother Emily Hawkes nee Wright and Father Thomas Hawkes. His death Ref # is 2572

Thomas Hawkes was born in Gundaroo,New South Wales, Reg #12122, Mother Mary Ann Hawks nee Davis and Father John Hawks.

Marriage Ref# of Thomas & Emily in Roma,Qld are #2257

Death Ref# for Emily Hawkes nee Wright is #1960/002361 (2361)

Registered in the New South Wales BD&M Registry is the added Comments section of a certificate, which reads
TO THE SIDE "The within named Emily Wright was registered as the lawful issue of Thomas Hawkes and Emily formerly Wright, 17 September 1913: - Registrar Generals Office,Brisbane,Qld, 24 September 1913.

This is the same for Thomas and James.
 On the Qld Cert is says registered under authrity of Act 63 Victoriae No.11.

I was fortunate enough to obtain copies of three sources for comparison for the births of the three children Thomas, Emily and James. They were a transcription of the NSW births, the Copy of the NSW Birth Cert for use of Historical Purposes only and the Qld Birth Certificates.
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 July 10 04:10 BST (UK) »
[1947/C2572  Thomas HAWKES
Father: John  Mother:  Mary Davis

1960/C2361  Emily HAWKES
No parents listed

Raylen

Thanks Raylen. I'll go and take another look and see if it comes up for me. One mystery solved, I knew I was being dense.