Author Topic: Comries of Kilsyth  (Read 4769 times)

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Comries of Kilsyth
« on: Saturday 10 July 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi. We are looking for descendants of Peter Comrie(sanitary inspector and shoemaker)bn 1824 d 23/5/1874 who lived in Newtown st Kilsyth.His wife was Jean Stirling bn 29/3/1827 daughter of David Stirling and Margaret Anderson.Jean died 23/7/1909 and is buried in Kilsyth churchyard.
Their children were -Matthew Dick 1864-1934, Peter 1847-1934, David 1847-1896,Daniel 1849-1923,Margaret 1850-1855, John 1852-1914, James 1854-, and Margaret 1856-1919.
We are looking particularly for descendants of David 1847-1896 ( a miner) and his wife Margaret Anderson who died in 1904.
   Thanks Julie
Sussex-Bedwell.Perthshire, Stirlingshire-Comrie.East Yorkshire-Berry,Bostock.Cumberland,Durham-Smith,Douglas.

Offline rewphoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Comries of Kilsyth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 15 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hello, My name is Mary and I am a direct descendant of Peter Comrie of Kilsyth. Sadly, I can't help you much with David - My Great Grandfather was DANIEL, born in 1849. In the 1891 census, I have a widowed Jean living at 38 Newtown with her son David living next door at No. 40 with Margaret and seven children. he is recorded as being a mason

Daniel married Janel Burns of Kilsyth in 1870. I could go on and follow the family into the 20th century but I don't know if you want to know more about Daniel's family.

I did find out during a visit to Kilsyth cemetery, that a number of Comries lie in unmarked graves in the churchyard.

Happy to help with more, before and after the dates you seek.

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 15 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,my name is Julie and I am also a direct descendant .My ggrandfather was David Comrie Daniel's brother so I think that makes us cousins twice removed My grandad was James Anderson Comrie, son of David and Margaret Anderson.James was married twice, firstly in Scotland.They had 2 daughters then his wife died after childbirth.He came down to Cumberland (probably for work) and married my grandma Isobel Smith. He brought his older daughter with him and she grew up with his
2nd family of 2 girls and 3 boys.My dad another James Anderson was his oldest son 1917-1990.
I would love to have any information you could give me of Daniel's or any of the other members of the familyI never.knew my grandad as he died young so we never knew what happened to his younger daughter Ellen from his first marriage who was left in Kilsyth as a baby. I have a tree on ANCESTRY Comrie-Bedwell.Don't know if you have access but if you have ,you are very welcome to look Best wishes Julie
Sussex-Bedwell.Perthshire, Stirlingshire-Comrie.East Yorkshire-Berry,Bostock.Cumberland,Durham-Smith,Douglas.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 15 06:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, found the following;

Death:
Daniel Comrie age 0 died 1890

Marriages:

Helen/Ellen Cleland Comrie married Robert Shaw 1933 Kilsyth, Stirling
Helen/Ellen Nicholson Comrie married James Crerar 1924 Crieff,Perth
*daughter of James

children of David & Margaret:
Marriages;

Elizabeth Comrie married Robert Inglis 1901 Kilsyth,Stirling
Jean Comrie married Alexander Fisher 1913 Kilsyth,Stirling and then married Alexander Meek Andrews in 1915 Kilsyth,Stirling
Margaret Comrie married Percy Archibald Henry in 1919 in Stirling,Stirling
Christine Comrie married ? Wilson (could not find marriage). She died in Kilsyth in 1956 at age 76.

Hope this helps, Kim

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 July 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim.Many thanks for this.Sorry, should have said, we did actually know that Helen Cleland Comrie had married Robert Shaw.Will have to check my tree again, think we did find her death but not his and also didn't manage to find any children from this marriage.
   Also, thankyou for the info on my grandfather's siblings .Again I will have to check my tree. I'm sure I didn't have all this. If you do manage to find anything more I would be Extremely grateful.
      Thanks again. Best wishes Julie

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie, the best place for you to get the information you seek is the Scotlandspeople website, which is pay per view. The have a lot of information about the families you seek. Kim

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim,thanks for that. When my brother and I researched our family history a few years ago, he mainly concentrated on my dad's side and I did mum's.I'm almost sure that he  did use Scotlandspeople quite a lot then.He's away at the moment but I will get in touch when he gets back . Many thanks to you both for your help Julie

Offline Julze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie, Not sure if you still require information about the Comries of Kilsyth since the latest post was in 2015.  My gggrandfather was Peter Comrie of Kilsyth ,married to Jean Stirling.  He had a son (my great grandfather) Matthew Dick Comrie (1864 - 1934) who had a son (my grandfather) Matthew Dick Comrie (1902 -1993) who had a daughter (my Mother) Margaret Heather Comrie (married name Kellett, 1947-2004).  My grandfather moved his family to Australia in 1949 where they resided in Mildura, Victoria, Australia. My mother had 3 brothers and one sister, with my mother being the youngest.  Her brothers were Matthew Dick Comrie, Duncan Colin Comrie, Douglas Cameron Comrie and her sister Heather Flora Comrie.  Please let me know if you require any further information on this branch of the family tree.  Julie

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie Thanks for your post. Afraid I don't have access to my tree on Ancestry any more but  I have a feeling that my brother was in touch with someone from your branch of the family a few years ago. Sadly we lost my brother Stephen last year. His wife Marylin is away on holiday at the moment so  I'll get in touch with her when she gets back. As far as I remember, a Douglas Comrie and his wife came over to England from Australia  and actually called to see Stephen ! Douglas had researched his side of the tree and gave Ste a copy. I have a copy and will have to look it out. I seem to remember that Matthew Dick was well to do ( did he own a mine perhaps?)If he had a son called William Hope, we are on the right family. I had an uncle who was named after him Hope this makes sense !! Best wishes Julie