Author Topic: Carbonear, Newfoundland  (Read 3086 times)

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
Carbonear, Newfoundland
« on: Sunday 11 July 10 06:06 BST (UK) »
In case anyone else has family from this town and struggling to find info, I was there last week and spent 2 days in the archives.  It is not permitted to photocopy or photograph the records, but I took a lot of notes.

I mostly spent time documenting births/marriages from 1800-1870 for these families:  George, Fortune and Clarke, but I do have others.

Feel free to contact me if you want to know if I have any information that could help you.
Newfoundland:  George
Somerset, England: Slade, Thorne
Lancashire, England:  Reay, Hargrove,
Bute, Scotland:  McBride
Perth:  McCash
Lanarkshire: Love, King, Lyle
Aberdeen/Fossaway:  Duncan, Shepherd, Burns, Johnston
Co Antrim: Warwick
Coleraine, Co Derry:  Kane, McDade
Tyrella, Co Down:  Denvir, McKay, Murray
Fermanagh:  Quinn
Ireland:  McKenna, McGuire, Burns, Hogg, Bradley
Ann Tweedley/Quigley: ?

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carbonear, Newfoundland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 15 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for your kind offer. I am researching the Baker family from Carbonear, and later Harry's Harbor, Notre Dame Bay.
My gr-gr-gr grandfather, Job Baker, bap. 1835. I have a copy of his baptism from Harbor Grace parish records. His father is entered as  John, his mother, Sarah (unknown) from Carbonear. I have for many years tried to ascertain John  and Sarah's parentage, or marriage record, to no avail. It's probably a long shot, but I thought I'd ask if you may have anything relevant from your research.
Thanks!
Steve
Baker: Dorset, England > Newfoundland > Massachusetts
Peddle: England > Newfoundland
White: Dorset, England > Newfoundland
Magner: Co. Cork, Ireland > Boston
Otto: Eisfeld, Thuringia, Germany > Boston
McDonald: Co. Carlow, Ireland > Fall River, Massachusetts
Thayer: Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England > Braintree, Massachusetts
Marks: Portugal > Massachusetts
Gilmore: Co. Westmeath, Ireland > Massachusetts
Farnum, Phillips: England > Barbados

Offline scooper200

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carbonear, Newfoundland
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, Karen, it's been a long time since I've visited this site. I saw your post concerning the archives in Carbonear. I am looking for my wife's Great Grandmother, Mary Kate (Catherine or Kathleen) McKenna (or Kenna as she pronounced her name). Mary Kate married a Darius Lane on St. Brendans Island, Bonavista Bay and lived in nearby Gambo. In one of the census I was able to find she was listed as being "from Carbonear". I know there was a Catherine McKenna who left on a ship from Carbonear for Port Washington, Wisconsin in1849 but that wasn't her. She is our mystery lady and I'm wondering if you have any record of her. Any information would be appreciated. In the meantime, if you could let me know the location of the archives in Carbonear (I spend weekends in that area during the summer) it would also be appreciated.
All the best.

Frank Walsh