Author Topic: Donaghdee and Groomsport- old photos  (Read 8315 times)

Offline zion

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donaghdee and Groomsport- old photos
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 08:47 BST (UK) »
thanks for your reply the men look like they caught a fish .

Offline Heather Dashner

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 June 17 02:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you ddee for your answer (even though it seems to have been several years ago).

This is the first time I'm writing anything here. I found the site because I was looking for the (misspelled) last name Delashery.

My grandmother Ellen Monk (née Wright) always mentioned the family as ddee has described them: the people who owned all the land in and about Donaghadee, which they leased out (as was the custom) for 99 years. My grandmother, born on Carnathan farm outside the town, moved into town when she married Alexander Monk, my grandfather. I'll be visiting in July and would like to get in touch with anyone who could orient me to just where on Bridge Street they lived and my mother was born. I, too, have many beautiful old photos that are as yet unidentified, but both my mother and grandmother have passed away and, if I don't get some help with them, they, too, will pass into the mists of time. It would be a shame.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 June 17 08:35 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :) In the last few years there are lots of new (and free) online resources available but I can't see any indication of dates for your mother or grandmother.

The 1901 and 1911 census are both available-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

PRONI have the Valuation Revision Books which allow you to follow a property from the printed version of Griffith's (mid-1800s) until c1930-
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/search-archives-online/valuation-revision-books
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!