Author Topic: Info needed Cunningham Rae / Agnes Duncan married 12th Oct 1777  (Read 18415 times)

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Info needed Cunningham Rae / Agnes Duncan married 12th Oct 1777
« on: Sunday 11 July 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

perhaps somebody could help me locate a grave or death record for Cunningham Rae born about 1750 - 1755 and his wife Agnes Duncan born about 1752

According to latter day saints they married 12 OCT 1777 Kirkcudbright, Kirkcudbright, Scotland.

I have seen a couple of trees online which suggest Agnes Duncan's parents are John Duncan and Isobel Ross, but never any source which confirms it

Agnes was still alive in 1841 but definitely dead by 1858, as both she and Cunningham Rae are listed as deceased on their daughter Catherines death certificate [she married Andrew Beattie]

Cunningham is listed as a Tailor, Catherine was born in 1805 when Agnes must have been in her 50s

They seem to have had the following children

James Rae
William Rae 1775 - 1875
Margaret Rae Abt 1777
Janet Rae Abt 1789 - 1875
Euphemia Rae 1797 - 1864
Catherine Rae 1805 - 1858

William Rae married Margaret McKune and had a son Cunningham Rae born 1811, along with a few others

Euphemia married John Stevenson and also had a son Cunningham along with a few others

in 1841 Agnes was living with William and Margaret in Portmary Rerrick Kirkcudbright, but is not listed on Williams Headstone in Rerrick Cemetery

the headstone has the following inscription

In memory of Margaret McKune, spouse of William Rae, who died at Port Mary, Burnfoot, 9th February 1864, aged 93 years. Also William Rae her husband, who died at Burnfoot, 19th Feb’y 1874, aged 101 years. Also the daughter-in-law Sarah Murtrie, wife of David Rae, who died at Burnfoot, 14th Nov 1881, aged 73 years. The said David Rae, died at Burnfoot, 28th Dec 1891, aged 88 years. Also Margaret Hope Rae, daughter of the said William Rae, who died at Burnfoot, 2nd June 1903, aged 93 years. Also Elizabeth Rae, died at Dalbeattie, 26th August 1915, aged 72 years. “They rest from their labours”.

Any help gratefully reecived

Tkgafs

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Info needed Cunningham Rae / Agnes Duncan married 12th Oct 1777
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 July 10 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi and Welcome to Rootschat   :)

Cunningham Rae was 'of Rerrick' at their banns/mariage in 1777.

If no one has checked by tomorrow, I'll have a look at my MIs tomorrow.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 July 10 21:48 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

If you could lookup any MI for them I'd be most grateful

Tkgafs

Wul

« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 July 10 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi tkgafs and Gadget

Try this website too, you may get an image of the headstone if it exists.

http://www.kirkyards.co.uk/

Wul

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 July 10 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

I can't find anything in the MIs (published or online at www.kirkyards.co.uk) so far and very little in the OPRs  :-\

However, I notice that Agnes was aged 78 in the 1841 census - suggesting a birthdate of circa 1763 and William was 60   (so b. c. 1781). Also, William and Margaret are on the 1851 census at Port Mary, Burnfoot with William aged 71 and Margaret aged 73. By 1861, they were 85 and 88, respectively. In 1871, William was 97!

William died on 19th February 1875 (not 1874) , aged 101, according to his death certificate.  :-\

Gadget

Hi Wul - your message came through just as I was posting. William's tombstone here:

http://www.kirkyards.co.uk/rerrick/rerrick/12.jpg

However, it is wrong - a year out according to death cert  ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 July 10 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I've been looking at the trees that you mentioned.  Oh dear, no sources and they have Cunningham dying 1854 and 1855 with parents William Rae and Jean Hume. 

I've found no evidence of this information whatsoever  :-\

Gadget

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 July 10 16:50 BST (UK) »

Gadget,

you have come to the same place as me,

I agree Agnes probably was born around 1763 making her about 14 when she marries Cunningham in 1777 [about the only documented fact in the whole thing], and about 42 when her last child Catherine is born in 1805.

I have presumed people have Cunninghams death as 1854 / 55 simply because there is nothing in the statutory indexes therefore he must have died before 1855, I was hoping someone would know of a gravestone, but it would appear I'm out of luck

I think Cunningham must have died before 1841, or Agnes would not be living her son William and his wife Margaret in Port Mary Burnfoot

I would therefore have assumed she would be on the same headstone as William, but she isnt

She may well be buried with Cunningham but we dont know where

As I said any help gratefully received, but this one may just have to stop here through complete lack of any evidence whatsoever

Tkgafs

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 July 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I've been looking at the trees that you mentioned.  Oh dear, no sources and they have Cunningham dying 1854 and 1855 with parents William Rae and Jean Hume. 

I've found no evidence of this information whatsoever  :-\

Gadget

the funny thing is the information must have come from someone somewhere, I think after that other people have just latched onto the tree and used it

Tkgafs

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 July 10 17:02 BST (UK) »

William died on 19th February 1875 (not 1874) , aged 101, according to his death certificate.  :-\

However, it is wrong - a year out according to death cert  ::)

I havent looked at Williams Death Cert yet, do you have a copy and does it list Cunningham and Agnes as his parents

Tkgafs