Author Topic: Info needed Cunningham Rae / Agnes Duncan married 12th Oct 1777  (Read 18413 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Info needed Cunningham Rae / Agnes Duncan married 12th Oct 1777
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 15 December 16 13:17 GMT (UK) »
, I was just wondering if James Rae, the son who signed for Cunningham's death, could have given his great-grandmother's name rather than his grandmother's name?

Michael

I've come across quite a few wrong names for parents on death certs. Often the informant is either a child (i.e 2 generations removed) or othe relative or friend or neighbour, etc. No checks were made.

Do you have the Cunningham (d 1903)'s children's names in birth order - it might give some clues to his parents.  William is shown as a labourer on the 1903 death cert.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 15 December 16 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to make sense of the info on some of the Ancestry trees but they seem a bit confused to me - children born to the earlier Cunningham and Margaret McCune when they were in early teens or Agnes somehow marrying a George Cunningham Rae and a William Rae and so on they went!

It is possible that Margaret died and Cunningham died and William then married Agnes, I suppose but from info, I think that Cunningham and Agnes had a son William, who married Margaret and they had a son Cunningham   :-\

Added - Also note this in first post:

Cunningham Rae born about 1750 - 1755 and his wife Agnes Duncan born about 1752

According to latter day saints they married 12 OCT 1777 Kirkcudbright, Kirkcudbright, Scotland. [also on SP]

James Rae
William Rae 1775 - 1875
Margaret Rae Abt 1777
Janet Rae Abt 1789 - 1875
Euphemia Rae 1797 - 1864
Catherine Rae 1805 - 1858

William Rae married Margaret McKune and had a son Cunningham Rae born 1811, along with a few others
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 15 December 16 18:07 GMT (UK) »
From all the info that I've reviewed today, this is what I think is what happened:

Cunningham Rae m Agnes Duncan (1777). Their son William Rae m Margaret McCune. William and Margaret had a son Cunningham who married Grace Logan and died 1903.

My conjecture - William and Grace's son, James, mixed up his grandmother's name (Margaret) with his great grandmother (Agnes). The registrar might have prompted him for his grandmother's name  and he thought it meant his father's grandmother. Thus Agnes got listed on the death cert.

Gadget

Offline MichaelPeacock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 16 December 16 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

It sounds good. Also, given this Cunningham, the ploughman married to Grace Logan, gave his age in the 1861 census as 50 which fits with a birthdate of 1811. They were staying in Drummore Cothouse.

In the census of 1841, there is a Cunningham Rae (age 25) working as a manservant for John Barclay at Drummore Farm. Could they be the same Cunningham Rae?

If so, it might mean the Cunningham Rae who died in 1903 was a real Kirkcudbright man. Born in Kirkcudbright?

Michael

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 16 December 16 08:45 GMT (UK) »

It sounds good. Also, given this Cunningham, the ploughman married to Grace Logan, gave his age in the 1861 census as 50 which fits with a birthdate of 1811. They were staying in Drummore Cothouse.

In the census of 1841, there is a Cunningham Rae (age 25) working as a manservant for John Barclay at Drummore Farm. Could they be the same Cunningham Rae?

I'd put one of those new £5 notes on it being the same man, Michael. Remember that, in the 1841 census, the ages were rounded to 5 year age groups. In 1841 25 would include those who were between 25 and 29.

Have you been to Kirkcudbright?

Gadget  :)

Offline MichaelPeacock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 17 December 16 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Gadget,

I didn't know that they rounded up the age in years!

I grew up in Kirkcudbright. Spent the first 18 years of my life there. Lived at 39 High Street.

My father worked on Coopers before he joined the Prudential up in New Galloway.

(But I had never heard of Galtway Cemetery and even names like Rerrick are unfamiliar!)

BTW, my musings on Cunningham Rae being from Kirkcudbright are wrong. The census of 1851 says he was born in Rerrick, so it fits with William and Margaret Rae.

Michael

Offline MichaelPeacock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 17 December 16 03:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in Cunningham Rae as his father's sister (assuming it is William) is Euphemia Rae who married John Stevenson. They had a son called Cunningham (b 1818) who married Jane Robinson (or Robertson) and their daughter Elizabeth (b. 1855) married George Robb Houston. My mother is a Houston.

Michael

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 17 December 16 08:36 GMT (UK) »

Cunningham is listed as a Tailor, Catherine was born in 1805 when Agnes must have been in her 50s

They seem to have had the following children

James Rae
William Rae 1775 - 1875
Margaret Rae Abt 1777
Janet Rae Abt 1789 - 1875
Euphemia Rae 1797 - 1864
Catherine Rae 1805 - 1858

Euphemia married John Stevenson and also had a son Cunningham along with a few others

So this is your line?

I was over there a few months ago. My mother's line was from the New Galloway/Balmaclellan/Parton area.

Gadget

Offline MichaelPeacock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 18 December 16 06:41 GMT (UK) »
My father collected weekly and monthly premiums for the Prudential in the Kells area for over 25 years. His area ran from Parton in the south to Balmaclellan, Dalry and up to Corsock. I have been able to read some of the less legible names on older documents because I am familiar with the names. I also have an old friend in New Galloway who can help out with more "recent" details. My father's birth mother also lived up at Kendoon for most of her life.