Author Topic: Mouat Family Northmavine  (Read 7876 times)

Offline genjean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mouat Family Northmavine
« on: Monday 12 July 10 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,  Arthur Mouat Bap 10th Feb 1812 migrated to NSW Australia 1856 along with his family 1861. He already had a brother James bap  1813 who arrived and settled in Victoria pre1849 . Their father was John Mouat 30th June 1776, mother Elizabeth Williamson. There was another family the father was Andrew Mouat who was a sailor he married in Sydney Australia in 1843 according to the marriage cert he would have been born around 1806
He drowned at sea 1855 and his family ended up destitute for a time. Descendants of Andrews family were well known to the descendants of Arthurs family during the first part of the 20th century so I believe that Andrew was a brother to Arthur and James but can find no proof except family heresay.
Any help would be appreciated
Tett Somerset
Heard Devon
Friend Devon
Folland Devon
Barrett Somerset
Holman Somerset
Popplewell Yorkshire

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Mouat Family Northmavine
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 21:31 BST (UK) »
you will find your family at www.bayanne.co.uk
no mention of Andrew being a brother though!
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline genjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 July 10 05:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes I am aware of this site and the wealth of info thereon. The fact that this site has no Andrew that fits as they  have either a different mother or other circumstances that eliminate them. But there was an Andrew Mouat from the Shetlands who died by drowning in 1855. His birth probably somewhere between 1806 and 1816 depending on what document you are looking at.( marriage or shipping masters account of crew) give or take a few years. I was hoping that maybe someone had come across an Andrew Mouat that just didn't fit in. Thankyou for replying. If you are interested I have put Andrew on the Bayanne site under Andrew Moad as that is the name all our  Mouats adopted when they came to Australia.
Jeannie
Tett Somerset
Heard Devon
Friend Devon
Folland Devon
Barrett Somerset
Holman Somerset
Popplewell Yorkshire

Offline Shane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeannie,

Andrew Mouat (Moad) is my gggg grandfather, I think I got the greats right! ;D

I am afraid I don't have a lot of info on Andrews parents but people I have spoken to in the Shetland Islands feel John Mouat and Elizabeth Williamson seem to be very likely Andrews parents. I also saw this as a footnote on the "Shetland Family History Site", where they too feel John and Elizabeth as most likely to be Andews parents. The birthdate of between 1806-1809 for Andrew also fit in nicely with John and Elizabeth's other children.

Not sure this was much use or shed any more light on things but that's about all I know Jeannie.

All the best,

Shane

Offline genjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,
Which of Andrews children are you descended from? Just recently I have done a DNA test hoping to find a connection to Andrew but it is early days and so far no luck. Had you thought of DNA?
Regards Jeannie
Tett Somerset
Heard Devon
Friend Devon
Folland Devon
Barrett Somerset
Holman Somerset
Popplewell Yorkshire

Offline Shane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 09:51 GMT (UK) »
HI Jeannie,

I am from Andrews son James Moad, then down the line, Alfred Moad, Fredrick James Moad, Ronald Moad then me.
Yes I thought of doing a DNA resently and will probably go ahead with it sometime this year.
I was just reading an article that says there are probably more true Shetlandic genes out of Shetland than in these days. The report in the news paper then goes on to say this is because of people leaving in the early 1800's, then in the 1920's. I thought it was pretty interesting!
I am very interested in the Norse ancestory we as Shetlanders share.
All the best,
Shane