Author Topic: Offer: History of the Parishes of Pinxton & South Normanton  (Read 58224 times)

Offline smouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pinxton and South Normanton
« Reply #81 on: Monday 12 August 13 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking, sounds like it could have been a one-off accident rather than a more general incident.  Francis was buried backed in Sutton-in-Ashfield.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Damien,

Hopefully this will help a little bit in discovering what happened.... sad isn't it  :'(

The Coalmining History Resource Centre
http://www.cmhrc.co.uk/site/database/result/20230.html

Mining Accidents - POULSON F.
Name:    POULSON F.
Date: 12/12/1858
Year: 1858
Colliery: Pinxton
Owner:    Major Salmon and Co.
Town:    Alfreton
County: Derbyshire
Notes:    Fall of roof.
~ ~ ~ ~

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent. Supplement -  Saturday, December 18, 1858

FATAL COLLIERY ACCIDENT - An inquest was held on Monday, before Mr. Busby, coroner, touching the death of FRANCIS POULSON, a collier, aged 35 years, who was killed on Tuesday last, in a coalpit at Pinxton.
The deceased was at his usual work, when a portion of bind fell, and buried him alive. The roof of the pit was timbered, and the accident did not appear to have occurred from want of care on the part of the deceased.
A verdict of accidental death was returned.
~ ~ ~ ~

Sheila.

Offline silverleaf79

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Friday 06 September 13 04:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking for me Trevor. :)
Roberts Jowle Wigfield Roddis

Offline Kiwi Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Offer: History of the Parishes of Pinxton & South Normanton
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 25 May 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

If the offer is still open, I am looking for any info about those with the surname ELLIOTT. My 4 x great grandmother Anne Elliott had three children. 

Elizabeth daughter of Ann Elliott christened  21 April 1794
James daughter of Ann Elliott      christened   5 February 1797
Richard son of Ann Elliott           christened   6 January 1804

All three were born out of wedlock and therefore the father, or fathers, name(s) are now lost forever.  Following on from these birth entries came the rather sad news in the burial register
"Ann Elliott buried 29 January 1804, a single woman. Also son Richard  buried 19 January 1804, the spurious son of Ann."
There is an Ann Elliott christened in 1775, father Thomas and mother Ann and a fair sprinkling through the register of Ellicock's and Ellot's also. There is an entry for marriage in South Normanton for Thomas Elliott m Ann PARSONS on 26 Dec 1739 which may be the next level upwards.
What happened to the two children after Anne’s death is unknown but I would assume a relative in the area cared them for before being they were sent out to work. Both survived to be present in later census records. Unfortunately, neither was married after civil registration was introduced in the late 1830’s, as it would have been interesting to see if a father’s name had been entered on the marriage registry.
Any references in your book would be welcome. There are no bastardy orders or removals by the way.

Dave

Offline tessacate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 28 August 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I just came across your offer via Google.  If you are still offering, I would very much appreciate some assistance on the following ancestors who were from Pinxton.

My 2xgg, 3xgg, 4xgg and 5xgg were all named George Wild.  2xgg and 3xgg went to Australia during the gold rush in 1860 and didn't return to England.  3xgg was a blacksmith and died in 1867 in Melbourne (my hometown). 

4xgg George Wild was variously a blacksmith and retail beer seller and grocer and probably the publican at the Three Horse Shoes pub in Pinxton in 1857.

5xgg George Wild was born in 1756 and married his second wife 19 yr old Elizabeth Horseley in Selston in 1787. He was living in Pinxton at the time.  His parents were William and Ann Wild.  I would love to know when/where William and Ann Wild married and Ann's maiden name.

Any info on 5xgg George Wild's first wife would also be fabulous as would any information about any of my George Wilds and their wives.  William and Ann are my priority though. 

Many thanks
Therese  :)

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 28 August 14 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Tessacate

Welcome to Rootschat

I know a little about your 3x gg George Wild who married Caroline Walker in 1834.  She is part of my tree, but not on my direct line.  I have a photo of her grave and George is mentioned on it.  I believe George Wild left for Australia in 1851 and died 1867.   

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tessacate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 29 August 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my message and welcoming me to the forum.  I'm also delighted to meet someone who has a shared interest in one of my ancestors (ie Caroline Walker).

It was my 4xgg George Wild was married to Caroline Walker (keeping track of 5 generations of father and son called George has done my head in at times trying to keep track of them, hence having to refer to them by generation number to keep them straight in my head :)).  He died in the Melbourne Hospital (now known as the Royal Melbourne Hospital) from Cancer of the Parotid salivary gland on the left side of his neck. So sad he never saw his wife and other children again.   I visited Pinxton last year and took a photo of Caroline's grave.  I have also visited 4xgg's unmarked grave in the old Melbourne Cemetery in Carlton, Victoria.  I was therefore so pleased to see such a substantial headstone on Caroline's grave in Pinxton and to also see 4xgg George mentioned. 

I appreciate she is not on your direct line, but if you are interested in the reasonable amount of info I have collected for Caroline Walker (and her family) don't hesitate to let me know.  I'm very happy to share. 

Thanks again for your message.

Therese

Offline Kiwi Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 17 January 15 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I take it there were no Elliott's mentioned in the book re my post last May?

Dave

Offline Genieanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Monday 27 July 15 08:43 BST (UK) »
I have posted elsewhere on the site ( have just joined and learning my way around) and wonder if anyone might have any information on Blackwell Miners WW1 casualties - in particular I am searching for a photo album given, I believe ,to relatives of the casualties . In it is a photo of James Wilson ( grandson of James Fryer killed in Blackwell Colliery Explosion 1895 ) and I should so like a copy of the photo as I have no other. ( I owned the album as a child but unfortunately it was lost)
Angela