Author Topic: BENNETTO - Is anyone researching the family?  (Read 11765 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: BENNETTO - Is anyone researching the family?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 01:07 GMT (UK) »
It really helps if you give the sources of the info you have.

The first resource to check is FreeBMD:

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

The marriage of Charlotte Salmon shows as being to John BENNETT, there.

FreeBMD shows the births of

Edward John Bennetto, Shoreditch 1849
Frank Louis Bennetto, Shoreditch 1859

for example. It doesn't show any marriage or death for either of them (in either order for Edward/John). (After 1911 it's important to use a middle initial for searches only, not full middle name.)

So did the entire family emigrate?

The 1861 census at Ancestry shows

John Bennetto 37
Charlotte 38
John E 11
Walter 10
James 6
Frank 1

Ancestry has transcribed the surname as BENNETTE, and a user has corrected it to Bennetto. That would be someone to contact for information possibly.

John Bennetto Sr was born in Falmouth in 1803 and married Mary Bullen and died in Australia ... but their son John was born about 1824 in Cornwall? Or I see I guess: John Sr and Mary Bullen emigrated to Australia as a couple, son John remained in England ...

Do you know what the last census they can be found in England is? Have you looked in Australian records (immigrants, births/marriages/deaths, voters' lists ...) for members of Walter's family?
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Dinkiedye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janey ,
You sound really angry & I'm sorry I come a cross like the novice I am.
 I am in NZ with no means of payment to access all these places that require payment for information so tend to hope someone out there is able to provide me with the data I need .
Guess it is just easier to plod on the way I have been & hope to reach a result eventually.
That appears to be the family & yes, James & Mary arrived in Australia leaving some of their children behind in England. I have most of the back history but nothing on Walters'siblings.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Good lord; I say:

"It really helps if you give the sources of the info you have."

and you psychoanalyze me.

It's a statement of fact. It really helps if you give the sources of the info you have.

Did you click the link I gave you? That is how you access that resource: FreeBMD.

As its name suggests, it's free.

All you need to say, regarding any other resource, is that you don't have paid access, and of course others, myself included, will be happy to help.

But without knowing the sources of information given, anybody offering to help risks following red herrings down false trails; that happened in a thread here yesterday when someone confidently offered a lot of info about someone and asked for help tracing them, and the info turned out to be entirely wrong: names, dates, places, everything. We learned that after people had looked up deaths in the US, searched census records, etc.

And if you don't start out by giving all the information you have - which nobody else has - people risk spending time searching for things you already know.

I spent some time on your question. I could find no trace of the children as adults. I asked whether they all might have emigrated. I looked at FindMyPast:
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
which is a pay site (that I don't pay for) but where passenger records can still be searched and basic results found; it covers passenger records only from 1890 onward and it looks like your people emigrated before that.

Are you familiar with the Victoria BMD database?
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria
A search for the name Frank Bennetto shows two deaths and one birth, for instance; I didn't refine the search by dates. If you search for all three events at once, the results are on one page and cost 99 cents to view. You might as well search for all Bennetto events, no date limits: you get four pages that would cost $3.96 to view, and you could then print them out and examine them to trace the events relating to your people, assuming that is where they were. Nobody else can do this for you without paying, as that is a pay-per-view (non-subscription) site.

If it is the case that they emigrated, and you know that and you don't say, people would be wasting their time searching for records in England. That's to no one's advantage.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 15:39 GMT (UK) »
The other main free resouce:

http://www.familysearch.org

If you do a search for Frank Bennetto born 1855 to 1865 (just for good measure), you get several results that will help:

- christening in Shoreditch 1859, parents John and Charlotte
- 1871 census showing the full household
- Chelsea Pensioners service record showing Louis Frank Bennetto received a military pension

That last can also be found at FindMyPast:
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/search-menu/military-armed-forces-and-conflict
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/army-service-records/all
-- search for him as Louis

Again, since I don't subscribe, I can't help with looking at the details of the record; you can see them as pay-per-view (a transcript or the original image), or someone here with a subscription may be able to provide the details. The record should show his wife and children, for instance, if he was married while in the military. He is the only Bennetto showing in Chelsea Pensioners records.

And another:
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx

Just search for keyword Bennetto and see what turns up!

If you have the printout of Bennetto events in Victoria first -- assuming that is where the family settled -- then you can look there for WWI and other military records for sons, for instance. There might be a good chance that Edward John Bennetto, born 1906, next of kin Edward Bennetto, who was in the military 1939-1948, was one of yours:
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=6091894
... although I think he was more likely Edward Arthur John Bennetto, son of Edward Earl Sutherland Bennetto and Dorothy, who died in 1974 in NSW; Edward Sr died in 1956 in NSW:
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingBirth.cgi?SessionID=36779898

Search for Bennetto, any event, Australia, at FamilySearch, and look at the user-submitted trees, and you see references to a Julia Earle Bennetto born in Falmouth, Cornwall, in 1819, daughter of Edward S Bennetto and Grace Earle, who died in Victoria in 1894; this would seem to be the source of those later Edwards, and one would suspect the families are related. Edward Sr's father was Arthur Martin Bennetto whose birth may be shown in Victoria BMDs.

Offline Dinkiedye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 16:44 GMT (UK) »
It was a comment Janey !
As mentioned I have all the back history {& the Australian links }It is one of the familys that stayed in England that I was wanting to follow thru' on .
Freebmd ,don't think so !
Thanks for the help.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 17:35 GMT (UK) »
"Freebmd ,don't think so !"

??? ??? ???

"It is one of the familys that stayed in England that I was wanting to follow thru' on ."

Except that, as I have attempted to explain, it appears that they did NOT stay in England, ultimately.

FreeBMD being the primary source to use -- it is a transcription of the official General Register Office index of births, marriages, and deaths -- for finding records of people in England, it is the one I used and suggested that you check. It shows NO trace of the siblings of Walter I searched for.

... Actually, my apologies. An Edward Bennetto married in Shoreditch in 1871; this could be your Edward John born in 1849 in Shoreditch. There is still no matching death for him in the index, but he does seem to be present in Shoreditch in 1891 with wife Harriett and several children; Harriet Viles was one of the brides in the 1871 marriage list that is accessible to you at FreeBMD. Ancestry has transcribed him in 1891 as "Bennetts"; I found the record, anticipating mistranscriptions, by searching for him with surname Bennett*. You can do searches at Ancestry without paying; for example, search the 1891 census now for any "Bennetts" in Shoreditch with parents Edward and Harriett, and you will find his children's names. The full 1881 census is also free to search there.

There is a 1925 death in Hackney for Harriett Bennetto aged 75; an Edward H Bennetto aged 64 died in Hackney in 1935, a son of Edward John as shown in the 1891 census. The couple is also called Bennetts in 1911 at Ancestry, by the way. I still see no death for Edward John.

There is also a 1935 death in Hackney for a Louis Bennetto aged 75.
So it looks like I missed some info the first time around, in that last case because the person born as Frank Louis Bennetto apparently died as Louis Bennetto.

Charlotte Bennetto aged 47 died in Shoreditch in 1873.
John Bennetto aged 70 died in Shoreditch in 1899.
You could just look for Bennetto events in Shoreditch at FreeBMD; for instance, a probably related Louis Frank was born in 1886 and died in 1887.

If there is no trace of someone marrying or dying, in the GRO index, it's not too likely they disappeared into thin air, or all fell in a canal. Emigration is the likely answer. But in this case, I seem to have overlooked information that suggests that at least some of them remained in England. And of course, the above marriage and death info is readily available at FreeBMD where I suggested that you do the searches.

Just for future ref, a "comment" telling someone who is trying to help you that they "sound really angry", or any other such personal commentary, really isn't welcome or productive.

Offline Michaela Jane Bennetto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 November 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Maybe I could be of some help? I married into the Bennetto family 4 years ago

Offline Quakey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 November 21 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if its any help- I have a copy of a rare book "Belinda the backward" by Salome Hocking. Its inscribed "with the good wishes ofan old friend" Salome Hocking 1/9/1905. It is embossed with the name B Bennetto, 1 Theobald Rd, Croydon - I am thinking this may be the father of Walter Bennetto who wrote in Cornish and was a teacher in Croydon in the 1940's (Wikipedia). Salome Hocking was associated with the Croydon Brotherhood Church a Tolstoyan community and also Cornish.