Author Topic: Peter Perritt - Textile Designer 60/70's  (Read 15209 times)

Offline FintryGirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Our Home in Fintry - The one past Mom & her dog
    • View Profile
Peter Perritt - Textile Designer 60/70's
« on: Tuesday 13 July 10 03:17 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Peter Perritt - he designed fabrics in the 1960 and 1970.  He had a twin named Robert who was an artist, and they were born in Rutherglen in 1931, and had a cousin named Victor ( Victor James tablet) that lived in Fintry.  Peter designed textiles that are sought after even today.  There were just a few up on ebay that were used and went for quite a good price.
Meffen, McEwan, Eggleton, Bryson, Gray, Cobb

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Perritt - Textile Designer 60/70's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 22:39 BST (UK) »
Have you tried "googling" his name? I did & got 780 results!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline FintryGirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
I did try googling him, I didn't find a lot.  Little about his designs and that he became a director of a fabric design college in London.  There was lots about a Peter Perrett a singer or a band or a Peter Perritt way back in 1700's or the usual Facebook and MySpace .   I am just trying to find out if there is more written in Scotland about him personnally.  I am from Canada and my mother knew him, she is just wondering what road his life took.

Thanks I'll try again.

Offline Hippyshake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 23:25 BST (UK) »
Peter and his wife, Yvonne, were friends of my parents back in the 1980s. They moved to Cullen in north-east Scotland in 1979 and bought a small hotel which they ran there for about 10 years before retiring to Lanzarote in the Canary Islands.  Coincidentally, my mum bought a piece of screen printed fabric whilst on holiday in San Francisco in the late 70s.  She later met Peter and Yvonne and on a visit to our house, he pointed to the fabric (stretched on a frame on the wall) and said "I designed that!".  Small world, eh? 
Donnelly, Maguire,  Brankin, Dickson, Wallace, Cochrane, Corkran, Whitelaw, McPherson, Cummings, Gillespie

Offline FintryGirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 23:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for replying, my Mum unfortunately passed away in 2011, but she would have been pleased to hear he did well. I have all of the pieces of fabric that he designed, that my mother had. I researched into getting a piece called The Blitz, which would have been very significant for my Mum as she lived through it in Clydebank, it is very hard to get. Seems like the only way to get some now is on ebay, if a hotel or hall are replacing their curtains. Thanks again.

Offline Hippyshake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 00:15 BST (UK) »
You're welcome! I saw the post was quite old so wasn't sure if you'd still be receiving notifications. It really is a small world. I saw your post whilst googling his name. We have just bought his old hotel and are renovating it to turn back into a house. The place was in a real time warp and one room still had a psychedelic carpet which must have been one of Peters as when we lifted it, it was clearly a specially designed piece. I really liked it and we tried to save some of it but it was too far gone and ended up in the skip.  Here is a photo...
Donnelly, Maguire,  Brankin, Dickson, Wallace, Cochrane, Corkran, Whitelaw, McPherson, Cummings, Gillespie

Offline Hippyshake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 00:18 BST (UK) »
It's not letting me post the photo unfortunately.

Offline Hippyshake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 09:44 BST (UK) »
There is a piece of the Blitz design for sale here:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fab-peter-perritt-blitz-fabric-60s-308181789

I could see that pattern as really nice on an evening dress in a silk fabric. :)

Just spoke to my mum. Peter also ran a picture framing shop and small gallery for a few years before they went to Lanzarote. I'd forgotten about that but remember going in there now.

Offline FintryGirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for the link, I did notice this I think it was sold back 2012 on ebay, it was a curtain. Your Mum has a good memory, does she remember where the gallery was? I will send you pictures today to your email address. Nice to have met you.😊