Author Topic: RAWSONS of Nottinghamshire/Leicester  (Read 16151 times)

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: RAWSONS of Nottinghamshire/Leicester
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 18:40 BST (UK) »
James Rawson m Mary Watkinson, St Martin's, Leic 1778; the Rawsons that Suzard has found may be their children?
Their oldest son James is my ancestor; he married in 1802, to Ann Pearson, in Basford, then moved back to Leicester.

There was also a George Rawson bapt in 1807 in Leicester, son of Richard Rawson and Elizabeth Mann. Richard was another son of James snr so brother to James jnr.

You're not joking about the Leic Rawsons, I've spent hours trying to disentangle them!

I think I'll have to double check which James left items in the will to George Rawson but that will take me a bit of time! Sorry - I think I may be muddying the waters here! Will respond again when I've had another look at my paperwork though that will probably not be today.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
Ha ha ha - just checked George in 1851, to get an idea of DOB, and Ancestry has transcribed his POB as "Margate Krid, Liechtenstein"!!

but it gives his age as 43 - so yob 1808ish - so probably Richard's son rather than James jnrs? Sorry!
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am overwhelmed with the information that I received from all of you - Carol, Suzard, and Annie.  Thanks so much!  You are great researchers.  I printed out your messages and have been studying them ever since.  With so many names, it has taken a while to sink in but it is all very clear to me now.

I agree with you Suz, I believe that the Sarah Ann Smith shown on the 1851 census at Castle Gate with father, John and mother, Ann is indeed the one I am looking for.  However, I will order Francis' and Sarah Ann's marriage certificate from the GRO.  The 1871 (Cotgrave Village) census showing Sarah Ann's brother, Thomas with mother, Ann is certainly a wonderful fit.

I had the 1841/1851 census for George Rawson but not the 1861 showing Fred. Drage and eventually his two marriages.  There were obviously slews of Rawsons in the vicinity of Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire - and all appeared to be quite wealthy.  Thanks - all of you for this great information.

I was looking around the internet the other night and found a site on the Bromley Library.  There is information there concerning George Rawson, Francis G. Rawson and Sarah Ann Rawson (wife of Francis).  George Rawson was a subscriber to the library 6/1/1834 to 2/9/1861; he was a member of the committee in 1842 and was nominated as a new trustee on 28/2/1848.  When George died, his share was transferred to his son Francis.  Francis George Rawson was a subscriber from 2/9/1861 to 7/9/1886.  When Francis died, his share was transferred to his wife, Sarah whose address was The Firs, Holme Pierrepont.  She was a subscriber from 7/9/1886 to 7/4/1903 (no. of shares:  187 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).

There are other Rawsons mentioned on this site should anyone be interested - namely, Thomas Rawson, a member of the ‘Town Class’ of the White Lion Book Society in 1788-89, William Bacon (W. B.) Rawson, (d. 1829).  It is likely that this was the son of William Ford Rawson, and lastly, William Ford Rawson who signed the Library Rules (1816-1830).  Just makes me think they might all be related.  There is also another Rawson connection.....James Ashwell, b. abt. 1799 presumably in Nottingham, married a Susan Rawson, no information.  James' father was John Ashwell, who supplied grates to replace the fire baskets that were in Bromley House at the time of the purchase.
The bill for £24 13s 9d was thought excessive and may have been for the cast iron fireplaces.  John Ashwell was also a three time Lord Mayor of Nottingham. 

The more you work on these Rawsons, the more you think they might all be related in some way.

Kind regards,
Dorothy

ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 15:06 BST (UK) »
wonder if these are George's parents??

London Rd
Leicester
Richard Rawson 70 Ind
Elizabeth 70
plus 2 servants
both b in county
HO107 604 3 12 16

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz,

Many thanks for the 1841 census for Richard Rawson.

In view of what Annie mentioned yesterday about this man, I found the following on Richard Rawson on the internet this morning.

Second son of James and Mary Rawson of Leic. and brother of Ald. James Rawson, mayor in 1828. He was born  13 and baptized at St. martin’s 17 November 1782, enrolled a freeman 11 September 1804, elected mayor21 September 1834 and re-elected the following September to serve until the end of December 1835, when his term of office as chief citizen of Leic. expired. As may be seen , he was the four hundredth person to occupy the mayoralty since William fil Leveric, in 1209, and the last to serve under the old regime. The passing of the Municipal Reform Act in 1835, which came into full force and operation 1 january 1836, brought about a drastic change in municipal affairs (see Introduction, page xix) on 31 December 1835 Ald. Richard Rawson, with the other members and officials of the old corporation, retired in a body to make room for the newly elected Reformed Corporation, who took over the reins of local government the day following.

Mr. Richard Rawson resided for some years in Princess Street. He died 9 June 1858, aged seventy,five, and was buried at the general cemetery, Welford Road, Leic. M.I. there. Rawson Street, Leic., takes its name from this gentleman's family.

I also found a picture of the Holme residence, Pierrepont,  where Sarah Ann (Smith) Rawson was living when her husband (Francis George Rawson) died and willed his share in the Bromley Library to her. 

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/Brown1896/holmepierrepont.htm

Regards,

Dorothy
ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

I hope you haven't ordered the marriage certificate yet.

Francis George Rawson ,Full age, bac, Solicitor, Lenton, father George Rawson, Solicitor.
Sarah Anne Smith, Full age, sp, Cotsgrave, father John Smith, Solicitor.
Witnessed by
GM Smith
John Smith

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Thank you so much for sharing Francis George Rawson's and Sarah Ann Smith's marriage certificate with me.    It was very kind of you to do this.  I was going to order it today.

Regards,

Dorothy

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 20:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, the Rawsons are complicated! But I too think that the vast majority, if not all, of those well-off families in Leicestershire in the 18-19 centuries were related.

I also think, though haven't proved it, that there may well be a Pearson-Rawson link back in the mists of time. The Pearsons were from Basford, there were several Rawson families in Basford too, and there was a degree of intermarrying between the two. Weren't many marraiges between well-off families arranged?

Re George Rawson b around 1809. I've looked again and I can't see him mentioned on wills, so I must apologise for that! But I have come across his name prior to this thread and felt he was linked to my Rawsons.

There are just 2 George Rawsons baptised in Leicestershire according to familysearch. Richard and Elizabeth's son was bapt in the wesleyan chapel; Charles and Lydia's son was bapt in St Margaret.

I have wills for 2 of Richard's brothers and George isn't mentioned in either, although one of those brothers had no children and (kindly, from a genealogists POV!) listed lots of nephews and nieces, including 2 other sons of Richard and Elizabeth. But no George.

What about posting on the Leicester board and see if anyone (Mike, for example!) has details about the deaths of any George Rawsons - to eliminate them?
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 20:37 BST (UK) »
more mud into the waters!

It looks like Henrietta Rawson was the daughter of henry Rawson and Emma Augusta

and Henry Rawson was probably the brother of george R$awson -who was the father of Francis George Rawson!!!

I think this Henry was the son of Richard Rawson and Elizabeth Mann, one of those bapt as noncon.

Richard's son Henry is featured in a family will from 1830. Henry's brother Edward is named as a hosier although Henry's occ isn't given; however he is offered the chance to buy a house, under the terms of the will, for £1500!! -- so he must have been wealthy!

So if Henrietta was Henry's daughter, and Richard's granddaughter - does that make George any more or less likely to come from the same branch of the Rawsons?

My head is spinning ---!
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)