Author Topic: The Ship Launch, Garth Road, Bangor  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Columbo369

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Ship Launch, Garth Road, Bangor
« on: Wednesday 14 July 10 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone

Is there anyone out there who could assist me in a family history matter. Back in the mid 1950's and while on my family's yearly holiday with family in Benllech Bay, Anglesey, my mum and dad would regularly visit the Ship Launch which was run by relatives. I was between 5 and 10 years on these visits and my memory is very sketchy. I seem to recall that 1 of the owners was an Aunty Winnie. I remember playing hide and seek with my younger brother around the beer barrels and crates which we accessed through the sitting room into the rear yard.

Coincidentally I have been reading postings concerning a request for information on a William (mariner) and Catherine Hughes of the Ship Inn or Ship Launch in Bangor, probably the former. My great grandfather was a William Hughes (mariner) and his wife was Catherine but both of them spent most of their life in Anglesey.

Any help on identifying the licensees at the Ship Launch in the 1950's and earlier would be very much appreciated.

Columbo369

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Ship Launch, Garth Road, Bangor
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Columbo369

Welcome to rootschat :)

I can't help you with your immediate question re 20th century licencees, but my tree does have ties to the Ship Launch Inn in earlier times :)    From census and newspaper reports I do know that George Griffiths of Beaumaris was the licencee for about 20 years c1860s-1880s.   

Have you tried contacting the Bangor Civic Society to see if anyone there can help with more recent history?   The link is http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/index.htm.

Heather

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bronnie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 July 10 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Columbo!

Was it my earlier thread you were referring to?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,352537.msg2305489.html#msg2305489
This is a mystery I have not yet resolved in my search to find out about my gt grandfather's family and I hav e put it aside for a few months, so need to refresh my memory. I have been puzzling over this for some time.
How much info do you have about your gt grandfather and gt grandmother?

Will watch your thread with interest. I wonder if we have any connection?

Bron
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
Hughes.  Bangor, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Birkenhead, Liverpool
Roberts. Bedgellert, Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog
Williams. Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog,  Holyhead,  Ystalyfera
Jones. Holyhead, Birkenhead, Liverpool

...and on the other side
Holland   Frodsham, Liverpool
Bold       Liverpool
Kay        Glasgow, Liverpool
Wilkinso

Offline hjmhill

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 16 11:10 BST (UK) »
I am also related to George Griffiths who was landlord of the Ship launch Inn. He was my great great grandfather. His son Hugh Griffiths married Rebecca Annis Severs and their child Margaret Annis Griffiths was my grandmother. I may well be related to other people on this thread and would be interested to know who!

Helen Hill