Author Topic: The Vernons of Sudbury Hall c. 1849-51  (Read 6420 times)

Offline Latina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Vernons of Sudbury Hall c. 1849-51
« on: Friday 16 July 10 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I believe that ancestors of mine (Robert and Margaret Craven) were working for the Vernon family around the time of the 1851 census. Possibly for Lord George Vernon at Sudbury Hall or his son, Augustus Henry, in London.
In 1851, Margaret Craven (from Northumberland) was listed as a cook at Sudbury Hall. The 'Head' of Sudbury Hall in the census is given as 11year old Louisa Warren ... all the other members of the household are staff!
Robert Craven (from Yorkshire) was lodging in London in 1851 described as 'Gentleman's Servant'.

I know that later in 1851, Augustus Henry Vernon married in London - but where was he and the rest of his family at the time of the census?
Does anyone know how I could find records for Sudbury Hall from this era with info such as members of staff?

I really don't know where to start - so if anyone can give me any advice, I'd be most grateful!

Thank you!
Gravenor - Montgomeryshire, Monomouthshire
Crow(e), Hendry, Fuller - Norfolk
Miles, Minchinton - Dorset
Brown - Norfolk, Northumberland
Simpson - Co. Durham, Northumberland

Offline alyson123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Vernons of Sudbury Hall c. 1849-51
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 July 10 14:25 BST (UK) »
I know Sudbury hall well as I grew up nearby and a friend of mine used to live in a staff cottage
in the grounds.
In answer to your question I would start my search with the Staffordshire Records Office on-line
catalogue ........ I'm sure you will find some related information there.
Regards
Alyson
p.s. they have a museum of childhood there if I remember correctly ...... you could also ring them
up and ask where the records for the house and occupants are kept.
Lea/Lee ........Gnosall, Armitage Hednesford Kings Bromley,  Hednesford, Staffordshire.
Richardson..... Hanbury, Hednesford, Checkley Marchington .....Staffordshire
Corbett ....... Dawley, Wellington, Madeley......Shropshire, Willenhall & Hednesford,Staffs
Pyle/Pile ........Hensingham, Workington, Whitehaven, Cumberland
Pyle/Pile....... Newcastlle on Tyne, County Durham & Northumberland
Doran ...... Whitehaven, Cumberland and Ireland
Savage ........ County Down, Killough and Belfast, Irela

Offline Latina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 July 10 15:13 BST (UK) »
I know Sudbury hall well as I grew up nearby and a friend of mine used to live in a staff cottage
in the grounds.
In answer to your question I would start my search with the Staffordshire Records Office on-line
catalogue ........ I'm sure you will find some related information there.
Regards
Alyson
p.s. they have a museum of childhood there if I remember correctly ...... you could also ring them
up and ask where the records for the house and occupants are kept.

So kind of you to post these suggestions Alyson - I will follow them up!
Many thanks!
Latina

Offline kimhulme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 July 10 13:04 BST (UK) »
In my copy of 'Stockport, Ancient and Modern' by Henry Heginbotham, 1892, which is dedicated to Augustus Henry Venables Vernon, Lord vernon, Baron of Kinderton, The Last Possessor of The Manorial Rights Of The Barony Of Stockport and The Representative of The De Stockports, It's Ancient Feudal Lords, from whom More Than six Hundred Years Ago STOCKPORT received it's First Charter constituting it A FREE BOROUGH.
(Might have been easier to copy and post it!!)
it states....
Augustus Henry Venables Vernon,the present  and sixth baron, was born on February 1st, 1829, and married Lady Harriet Anson, daughter of the first Earl of Lichfield. Lord Vernon has the honour to represent in his own person two of the ancient Norman barons of Cheshire, being descended, on the one hand,  from Gilbert De venables, baron of Kinderton, and on the other, as shown in this baronial History, from the ancient barons of Stockport.
And after all that, and more  to the point, he was probably here in Poyton, near Stockport, where the Vernons lived after inheriting the estate from the Warrens.
His coming-of-age in February1850 was celebrated with a big event (as was the 8th baron's in 1909) in the grounds of  the then hall - now a park and lake (Poynton Pool) alongside the A 523. I have an invitation card to the celebration,  and post a commemorative plate.

Offline Latina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 July 10 16:01 BST (UK) »
In my copy of 'Stockport, Ancient and Modern' by Henry Heginbotham, 1892, which is dedicated to Augustus Henry Venables Vernon, Lord vernon, Baron of Kinderton, The Last Possessor of The Manorial Rights Of The Barony Of Stockport and The Representative of The De Stockports, It's Ancient Feudal Lords, from whom More Than six Hundred Years Ago STOCKPORT received it's First Charter constituting it A FREE BOROUGH.
(Might have been easier to copy and post it!!)
it states....
Augustus Henry Venables Vernon,the present  and sixth baron, was born on February 1st, 1829, and married Lady Harriet Anson, daughter of the first Earl of Lichfield. Lord Vernon has the honour to represent in his own person two of the ancient Norman barons of Cheshire, being descended, on the one hand,  from Gilbert De venables, baron of Kinderton, and on the other, as shown in this baronial History, from the ancient barons of Stockport.
And after all that, and more  to the point, he was probably here in Poyton, near Stockport, where the Vernons lived after inheriting the estate from the Warrens.
His coming-of-age in February1850 was celebrated with a big event (as was the 8th baron's in 1909) in the grounds of  the then hall - now a park and lake (Poynton Pool) alongside the A 523. I have an invitation card to the celebration,  and post a commemorative plate.

This is wonderful info - thank you SO much!
I was especially interested to see the connection with the Warren family explained.
Really appreciate you going to so much trouble,
Best wishes,
Latina

Offline Latina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 August 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
For Lydiaann

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 August 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Latina.  I think that Harewood, nr Leeds, is too far away from 'my' Cravens in Wakefield/Horbury but I shall certainly dig around a bit; I may be able to connect them up some way further back, if so I'll let you know for sure.  Interestingly, the home of the Lascelles family, Harewood House, is there so it may be that Robert's papa worked at/on the estate.  Most of 'my' Cravens (one of whom "emigrated" to Scotland) worked in one capacity or another - mainly gamekeepers - at stately homes throughout the land. 

Many thanks again!

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee