Author Topic: Enlarging part of a photograph  (Read 819 times)

Offline Larby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ben - age 13 and gorgeous
    • View Profile
Enlarging part of a photograph
« on: Friday 16 July 10 22:58 BST (UK) »
On the Armed Forces board I have asked for help with a photo and I helpful person has asked if I can send a high resolution close up of a cap badge and lapel badges of soldiers.  Can anyone tell me how to do this please?
Boggis in Suffolk, Istead, Downes in Shropshire, Bricknell in Warwickshire, Mason in Little Dunmow Essex, Nuttall in Farnworth Lancs

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Re: Enlarging part of a photograph
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 July 10 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi- you can only do this if you have access to the original photo.  If you simply have a scan of the original, you are probably out-of-luck.  What you need to do is place it on your scanner and set to scan at a fairly high resolution (300-600 dpi or greater).  Then use the capabilities of your scanner to focus specifically on the area of interest, so that when you save it it doesn't save the whole thing, only the area you want.

Look at your scanner documentation if you don't know what its capabilities are.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Larby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ben - age 13 and gorgeous
    • View Profile
Re: Enlarging part of a photograph
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 July 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nick.  Will give it a go.
Boggis in Suffolk, Istead, Downes in Shropshire, Bricknell in Warwickshire, Mason in Little Dunmow Essex, Nuttall in Farnworth Lancs