Author Topic: Laugharne family and Griffiths family - Pembrokeshire  (Read 9843 times)

Offline Bilham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Laugharne family and Griffiths family - Pembrokeshire
« on: Saturday 17 July 10 00:07 BST (UK) »
Evening all

I'm looking for anyone with information on two families.  The Laugharne family and the Griffiths family.

I have traced my family tree back to the marriage of William Laugharne and Ann Griffiths in December 1845 in Pembrokeshire.  I can trace these forward and back to their births and christenings.  I need help in tracing their parents.  William's parents were John Laugharne and Grace but I can't get her maiden name and I can't find anything about either of them.  William was a seafarer or at least a fisherman.

Ann Griffiths' parents seem to be William Griffiths and Harriet but that's all I have got.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bilham

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Laugharne family and Griffiths family - Pembrokeshire
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 July 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
...........William Laugharne and Ann Griffiths in December 1845 in Pembrokeshire..............John Laugharne and Grace

I presume that your William & Ann Laugharne are those shown in the LDS ’81 census aged 60 and 61 respectively.
Would I be correct in believing that Evangeline Laugharne mrd Alfred Benjamin Jenkins in the Swansea Reg District in the 4th Qtr 1880.

As William Laugharne states in ’81 he was born at Dinas, and I note that a William Laugharn was baptized in that location in 1820.
The LDS website also shows a William Laugharn baptized at West Walton on the 04 May 1819 to William & Grace Laugharn. My own research shows no reason to doubt these two William's.

The majority of my own 1841 census for Dinas is so faded as to be unreadable, although I do note the Laugharn family there along with a William & Ann Griffiths, however this may well be total coincidence. I note a William & Lucy Laugharn at Walton West with their son George, by coincidence I note a Grace Laugharn was buried at Walton West in 1824.

You appear to suggest that William Laugharne mrd Anne Griffiths in the 4th Qtr of 1845, yet Free BMD does not appear to support this. In Free BMD there is an Eleanor or Mary Griffiths or an Anne Thomas as possible brides to William Laugharne but no Ann(e) Griffiths.
All I appear to have done is confused the situation, but at ever turn to try and pick up your line I have come up against a conflict.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Bilham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Orielbenfro

YEs, my William and Ann are the ones you have found and yes Evangeline married Alfred Benjamin Jenkins in Dec 1880.

Re William's christening yes I agree I think the LDS Williamm christened on 4 May 1819 is the same William.

Not sure about the 1841 census.  My searches on Ancestry just give me one sensible hit which is for a William Laugharn living with Ann Edward in Newport so not much help.  I guess this could be my William living with a different women (was this common in those days?).

The marriage bit is also confusing.  I came to the conclusion that William's wife was called Ann Griffiths as I have Evangeline's birth certificate and this shows the mother as Ann Laugharne formerly Griffiths.  Also Subsequent census records refer to William's wife as Ann. However, when I searched for a marriage record I only found the marriage in 1845 of an Eleanor Griffiths to a William Laugharne (mariner) and they then appear in the 1851 census in Newport with a daughter Mary Ann (2 Months old).  I can't then find Eleanor in the 1861 census but we have Ann with various children including a Mary who is 18!! (William was on a boat at the time). I've tried LDS but can find no help there. It looks to me as if Ann and William were never actually married!  Was this common?  The trouble with this is that if this is the case the trail goes cold and I can't get further back. ???

Thanks for your interest, any help much appreciated.

Bilham

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 July 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
I have jpeg'd William and Ann's mrge entry plus William's and his brother John's baptism, plus his parents Thomas & Mary's mrge entry.
If you want copies please drop me an email address by PM.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 09:24 BST (UK) »
my William and Ann are the ones you have found and yes Evangeline married Alfred Benjamin Jenkins in Dec 1880.
Relevant Jpegs for mrge at Fishguard and events at Dinas sent.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline dark raven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 August 10 22:01 BST (UK) »
I am fascinated by this thread as I have done quite a bit of research on the Laugharne family of Dinas and Newport, Pembrokeshire, some of whom were my maternal ancestors.

It seems to me that a bit of confusion is creeping in here because there were 3 William Laugharnes born in the North Pembs area within a few years of each other. You say in your original posting that your William Laugharne was born in Fishguard in 1819. There is indeed a William Laugharne who was a mariner who was born in Fishguard around that time. You can check out more details of his career at sea on http://www.welshmariners.org.uk.

Now the William Laugharne, corn merchant, at 39 Underhill St, Swansea on the 1881 Census was, I'm fairly certain, the son of Thomas and Mary Laugharne from Bwlchmawr in Dinas. My reason for thinking this is because in 1884 that there is an entry in the wills index  at the PRO to the effect "Personal estate of Mary Laugharne, wife of Thomas Laugharne, late of Bwlchmawr in the Parish of Dinas Pambs who died 16th November 1866 at Bwlchmawr was proved at Carmarthen by William Laugharne of 39, Charlton Terrace Swansea, Gla, corn merchant the son the surviving executor. Probate being granted under certain limitations". Why he was so late presenting this will is another story..... I have never been able to find a baptism record for him, so I would be interested to know if anyone else has.

There's a third William Laugharne, also a mariner, who was born in Newport in 1819. He was baptised at Ebenezer chapel in Newport and was the son of John and Eleanor Laugharne of Pant in Neport. He is also listed on http://www.welshmariners.org.uk. He married an Eleanor Griffiths in Newport on 28th Nov 1845 and I have baptisms for two of his sons in Newport and a lot more information about the Pant branch of the family, if you do find this is the right one.

I think this all needs a lot more unpicking. Why did all these people insist on having the same names  :-[ . I'm wondering if the shipmaster Laugharne, living at no 40 Underhill St was the one that you want and that Alfred and Evangeline were being put up next door for some reason. After all it says "visitor" rather than daughter by Evangeline's name.... just a thought.

I'm copying this to the Swansea list as I see that some of the thread is on there as well.

Good luck

Vivien

Offline Bryn Eglur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 April 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
Vivien
Although you posted this information some time ago I have only just joined RootsChat and note with interest your comment about the Laugharne family of Pant - John and Eleanor parents of William.   My research indicates close connections with this family through Eleanor who was Eleanor Lewis before her marriage to John in 1817. William died in 1906 whilst living  with the sister of my great grandmother and is  buried at Brynmoriah chapel in Brynhoffnant Cardiganshire. My great great grandmother was Martha Lewis from Newport and she married Evan Jones from Blaenporth Cardiganshire in 1836. At the moment we have not been able to establish a direct link between Martha and the Pant family even though we have evidence of links like William Laugharne. We originally thought that Martha was Eleanor's daughter by an earlier marriage but this now seems unlikely having seen the Bishop's Transcripts for Newport recently indicating that Eleanor was a spinster when she married John Laugharne.I have detailed information about Williams brothers and sisters and their families but we have no information about Eleanor or Martha's parents or birth.
I shall be grateful for any comments you have on the above,
Bryn Eglur

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 April 12 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Bryn Eglur  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Vivien has not been on Rootschat since January but hopefully has the same email address and will receive a notification of your Posting.

Kind Regards
Morgan