Author Topic: Sheringham Maritime & Fishing History  (Read 33889 times)

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
  • "THALIA" YH1066 last Sheringham owned Great Boat
    • View Profile
Sheringham Maritime & Fishing History
« on: Saturday 17 July 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi.
    I am researching the maritime & fishing history of Sheringham in Norfolk with the view of giving the end result to the new Sheringham Museum.

During the 1800's Sheringham fishermen worked from Grimsby in their luggers and dandy's and eventually several fishing families moved from Sheringham to Grimsby and the surrounding area to carry on fishing.

If anyone has any information they are willing to pass on about the vessels used, such as names, size, build date etc  it will be much appreciated. A few families took their crab boats and worked in the Humber, any information about these will also be appreciated.

Regards
Blue Jacket.
NURSE & related names from Weybourne & Kelling , North Norfolk and beyond.
Also researching the maritime & fishing history of Sheringham, Norfolk.

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sheringham Maritime & Fishing History
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 July 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Blue Jacket,
I am researching the maritime history of the River Welland & Spalding, Lincolnshire. Most of the vessels from Spalding which came under the Port of Boston were registered at Boston. The Ships registers for Boston from 1827 to 1892 are at the Lincolnshire Archives with some on microfilm. The registers give vessels name, builder, type of vessel, measurement & tonnage, owner, & Master at measurement date. I expect most of the Sherringham vessels would have been registered at Yarmouth as I see from your picture the vessels reg is YH. Perhaps you can find some information from the Norfolk Archives or maybe they are still held at Yarmouth.
Good luck with you research.
Keith

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 July 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith.
            Thanks for your message.  All the shipping registers for Norfolk are held at the Norfolk Records Office in Norwich and I have spent many hours searching through them and have  exhausted this vein of information and now looking for other sources.

I was hoping some of the descendants of the families who moved to Grimsby from Sheringham would have some information they are willing to pass on.

The result of my research will be deposited with Sheringham Museum for the use of future researchers.

Regards.
Blue Jacket.

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 July 10 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Blue Jacket,
Glad you have been able to view the ships registers. I spent half a day looking at the first of 4 Boston ones. It was the actual book (I have a problem reading microfilm) from 1827 to 1834. A huge volume that the girl at the archives had a job to lift it onto the counter. Need to get back to search through the other 3 for Spalding owned vessels.
Regards
Keith

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 July 10 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith.
            Thanks for your reply. I know what you mean about reading micro film as I am visually impaired and can only read documents with a strong magnifying glass. Over the last three years I have searched through ship registers for Well in North Norfolk, Blakeney & Cley in North Norfolk and Great Yarmouth, approx ten shipping registers in total. Although it was hard going at times I found it very enjoyable and came up with some interesting facts and found over 100 large fishing vessels owned at Sheringham during the 1800's.

There are most certainly more fishing vessels out there that were owned at Sheringham, but registered at other ports such as Grimsby, Hull, Scarborough & Whitby etc. These are the vessels I am now looking for and any other Sheringham maritime history that is floating about.

Good luck with your research and I hope you will get as much help from other researchers as I have had. Some have been very helpful, not always coming up with information, but pointing me in the direction of where to search.

Regards
Blue Jacket.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 July 10 14:29 BST (UK) »
I don't know if there's anything useful to be found here http://tinyurl.com/2w42o2w

Try different years and different towns in the search boxes and see if anything turns up :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 July 10 18:31 BST (UK) »
Not sure as to the relevance of this, but movement of the fleets seems to have taken place from time to time. In 1924 the Boston Deepsea Fishing co.relocated to Fleetwood, Lancs.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 July 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff-E.
                Thanks for the lenk to the Lloyds Registers, much appreciated and will certainly spend some time going through them.

Regards.
Blue Jacket.

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 July 10 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger.
                  Thanks for the information about the Boston Deep Sea Fisahing Company. The fishing vessels I am researching came from Sheringham in North Norfolk during the 19th century and earlier.

Regards
Blue Kacket.