Author Topic: Sheringham Maritime & Fishing History  (Read 33891 times)

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
  • "THALIA" YH1066 last Sheringham owned Great Boat
    • View Profile
Re: Sheringham Maritime & Fishing History
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Lugger B.
                   Thanks for your kind offer of  Sheringham fishing information, it will be greatly appreciated.
All my research will be given to Sheringham Museum for the use of future researchers etc.

Regards, Blue Jacket.
NURSE & related names from Weybourne & Kelling , North Norfolk and beyond.
Also researching the maritime & fishing history of Sheringham, Norfolk.

Offline LuggerB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 June 11 06:58 BST (UK) »
Back on Ancestry now so can give you the information I have. In April 1881, my great-grandfather, " King Kong " Grice, and his older brother " Chicken ", were in Grimsby aboard " Reaper " ( YH458 ), a 30-ton dandy cod fishing boat. The skipper was Henry Johnson, 2nd mate was his brother John; the rest of the crew were Robert Davidson, James Farrow and John Gladdin Craske, all Shannocks.
Other craft fishing there were Pledge, Baroda, Volo, Pearl, Perseverence, Whimper, Billow, Advance and Dasher....such evocative names!
On one census I found a list of names on vessels out of Grimsby, unintelligeable names; a mixture of Scandinavian, bad spelling and a bad hand at Scrabble! There were also a few women and children. Any idea what that`s all about?
One thing I noticed about my Sheringham family tree, was that most marriages took place around Christmas, some even on Christmas day. Would this be the small gap for rig changing, from mackerel to cod?

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 27 June 11 15:55 BST (UK) »
I was brought up in Boston, fairly near to the docks. It was not unusual for the wives of the ships' officers to accompany them on their voyages, I never saw any children, but no doubt it happened too. Ships from Eastern Europe often had women officers and crew. This was primarily in the 1950s.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 27 June 11 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi LuggerB.
                 Thank you for the very interesting information about your families fishing interests. You mention that several of them got married around Christmas time. It was around this time of the year they changed from herring fishing to longlining for cod.
During December after the home herring  fishing at Sheringham & Gt Yarmouth the Sheringham luggers would go herring catching out of Boston in Lincolnshire until the end of the month. This was before Grimsby was developed as a fishing port around 1851. If the fishing was still good some boats carried on herring fishing from Boston, but the majority made up and came home to change their fishing gear. They then went longlining for cod down the North Sea, working from Scarborough & Whitby until it was time to start crabbing. Incidentally it was two old Sheringham fishermen who introduced crab pots to the fishermen of Whitby.
The following may be connected to your Grices.
SEA FLOWER” – 9027 Yawl built at Whitby 1843. Registered at Whitby. Owned – James Grice of Sheringham 1865. 1874.
Norwich Mercury.  24th May 1850.
Yarmouth Notes.
The revenue cutter “Prince of Wales”  Lt John Allen brought into harbour (Great Yarmouth) the “Sea Flower”  having on board 172 parcels of leaf tobacco, 50 pounds each.
Norwich Mercury. 23 November 1850.
Yarmouth Notes.
The crew of the Sheringham smack “Sea Flower”  were fined £100 each or 6 months hard labour for smuggling 2.760 pounds of tobacco.
Perhaps they were heavy smokers.

Women & children on fishing boats, the only time I have seen it is in the censuses when they are in dock and described as  Captains wife - visitor. Captains son/daughter - visitor. Presumably they are visiting their husband/father while the boat is in dock.

Regards - Blue Jacket

Offline LuggerB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 07:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Blue Jacket, excellent stuff. I shall follow up on James Grice and the Seaflower contraband! Re: Christmas weddings, the only one of " King Kong`s " daughters who didn`t marry around Christmas, married a William ` Christmas` Dumble!
I was born in Boston and the other side of my family, the Brays, were also all fishing. Back then they fished out of Friskney, which was then right on the coast. Now, after all the land reclamation, Sea Lane where they lived, is now miles away from the sea. As a lad, I used to go ` down below` often, musseling and cockling in the Wash. On a few occasions I went out on "the Rose of England" smack, shrimping. There was always a thornback hanging on our fence post; Sunday tea was freshly boiled cockles and small brown shrimps ubiquitous ( my nan used to shell them for Van Smirrens.)
My grandads brother, Robert Grice, was the Captain of the Protector, the fishing protection vessel which patrolled the East coast. My mum had his set of brass measures, for guaging mesh sizes, lobster and crab lengths etc., sadly lost somewhere along the way.
One last comment from a Grumpy Old Git. Looking back at all the great times out on the boats ( from about 8/9 years old ) how sad that kids today don`t or can`t do it, H & S, litigation and the like....glad to be born when I was. Anyway, thanks again.

Lugger B.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
I was brought up in Boston, fairly near to the docks. It was not unusual for the wives of the ships' officers to accompany them on their voyages, I never saw any children, but no doubt it happened too. Ships from Eastern Europe often had women officers and crew. This was primarily in the 1950s.

On reflection, the practice is mentioned in "The schooner Hesperus" i.e. "The skipper had brought his little daughter etc."
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Pentangle67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 07 August 11 00:59 BST (UK) »
My maternal grandfather's family (Sunman) hail from Sheringham. The earliest I have traced back which confirms connections with Sheringham is the marriage of my great-great-great grandparents who married there in 1819. He was born in nearby Gresham, although she was apparently born in Sheringham in 1799 (I don't have firm evidence of this). The family stayed there for the next 50 years, before moving to Gt. Yarmouth. At one point, my great-grandparents were in Grimsby as my grandfather was born there. The Sunmans finally settled in Hull around 1900 were they remained. Many of the Sunmans were in the fishing industry.
Leppington ~ Welton/Marfleet (East Yorkshire)
Coupland ~ East Yorkshire
Caffrey ~ Sunderland/Ireland
Sunman ~ Sheringham/Great Yarmouth/Hull

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 07 August 11 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi.
    Thank you for the the very interesting information about the SUNMAN family from Sheringham. While they were in Sheringham the SUNMAN family were innkeepers and boat builders and Robert Sunman jnr built several luggers on Sheringham beach during the early early 1800's.
Robert SUNMAN married Elizabeth CHAMBERLAIN on 15th July 1819 at All Saints Church Upper Sheringham Lower Sheringham did not have a parish church until the beginning of the 20th century.
Elizabeth CHAMBERLAIN was born at Lower Sheringham 15th November 1798 and baptised at All Saints Church Upper Sheringham  23rd December 1798. Fathers name = Richard CHAMBERLAIN. Mothers name = Mary ???.
The following are from the Upper Sheringham Memorial Inscriptions by Walter Rye.
 Elijah Francis SUNMAN died 19th June 1850. aged 37.
George Willian SUNMAN died 29th November  1818.
Thomas Christmans SUNMAN died 14th April 180?. aged 7 years.
Wills Proved in the Consistory Court of Norwich 1819 - 1858.
1855 - SUNMAN, Elijah Frances, innkeeper of Sheringham. Folio #666, Whitty.
These are the fishing luggers I have found that were either built or owned by Robert SUNMAN jnr. Possibly there are more that have not been recorded. All were built on Sheringham Beach.
"ANNA MARY"  = 12 ton, 33ft, 3 masted lugger built at Sheringham 1839 by Robert SUNMAN jnr. Owned by Robert SUNMAN jnr, boat builder.
"CONFIDENCE" = 26 ton, 42ft, 3 masted lugger built at Sheringham 1841 by Robert SUNMAN jnr and owned by Robert SUNMAN jnr.
"NEW HENRY" = 11 ton, 30ft, 3masted lugger built at Sheringham 1839 by Robert SUNMAN jnr.
"REFUGE" = 14 tons, 33ft, 3 masted lugger built at Sheringham 1840 by Robert SUNMAN jnr.
"VICTORY" = 8 tons, 30ft, 3 masted lugger built at Sheringham 1840 by Robert SUNMAN jnr.
Robert SUNMAN must have had quite a large work force to be able to turn boats out as quickly as he did.
I hope this information has been of interest and help to you. If you think I can be any further help please do not hesitate to ask and I will see what I can dredge up from my records & files etc.

Regards. Blue Jacket.

Offline Pentangle67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 07 August 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi.
    Thank you for the the very interesting information about the SUNMAN family from Sheringham. While they were in Sheringham the SUNMAN family were innkeepers and boat builders and Robert Sunman jnr built several luggers on Sheringham beach during the early early 1800's.
Robert SUNMAN married Elizabeth CHAMBERLAIN on 15th July 1819 at All Saints Church Upper Sheringham Lower Sheringham did not have a parish church until the beginning of the 20th century.
Elizabeth CHAMBERLAIN was born at Lower Sheringham 15th November 1798 and baptised at All Saints Church Upper Sheringham  23rd December 1798. Fathers name = Richard CHAMBERLAIN. Mothers name = Mary ???.
The following are from the Upper Sheringham Memorial Inscriptions by Walter Rye.
 Elijah Francis SUNMAN died 19th June 1850. aged 37.
George Willian SUNMAN died 29th November  1818.
Thomas Christmans SUNMAN died 14th April 180?. aged 7 years.
Wills Proved in the Consistory Court of Norwich 1819 - 1858.
1855 - SUNMAN, Elijah Frances, innkeeper of Sheringham. Folio #666, Whitty.
These are the fishing luggers I have found that were either built or owned by Robert SUNMAN jnr. Possibly there are more that have not been recorded. All were built on Sheringham Beach.
"ANNA MARY"  = 12 ton, 33ft, 3 masted lugger built at Sheringham 1839 by Robert SUNMAN jnr. Owned by Robert SUNMAN jnr, boat builder.
"CONFIDENCE" = 26 ton, 42ft, 3 masted lugger built at Sheringham 1841 by Robert SUNMAN jnr and owned by Robert SUNMAN jnr.
"NEW HENRY" = 11 ton, 30ft, 3masted lugger built at Sheringham 1839 by Robert SUNMAN jnr.
"REFUGE" = 14 tons, 33ft, 3 masted lugger built at Sheringham 1840 by Robert SUNMAN jnr.
"VICTORY" = 8 tons, 30ft, 3 masted lugger built at Sheringham 1840 by Robert SUNMAN jnr.
Robert SUNMAN must have had quite a large work force to be able to turn boats out as quickly as he did.
I hope this information has been of interest and help to you. If you think I can be any further help please do not hesitate to ask and I will see what I can dredge up from my records & files etc.

Regards. Blue Jacket.

Fascinating information Blue Jacket, thank you so much. William Sunman, Robert Sunman Jr's brother, was listed in the 1861 census as being lodging at Frederick St, Portsmouth. His family are not listed along with him (he is back with them on the 1871 census, living in Great Yarmouth) I assume that, being a carpenter/boat builder, he had had the opportunity to work at the shipyard there.
Leppington ~ Welton/Marfleet (East Yorkshire)
Coupland ~ East Yorkshire
Caffrey ~ Sunderland/Ireland
Sunman ~ Sheringham/Great Yarmouth/Hull