Author Topic: Sheringham Maritime & Fishing History  (Read 33961 times)

Offline Michelle Family

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sheringham Maritime & Fishing History
« Reply #45 on: Monday 05 March 12 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Blue Jacket  ;D
I saw my Nan on the weekend and told her all about this forum and the amazing people
who are willing to help strangers and offer information.

I also told her the details of the trawlers her father was skipper and the background of Sheringham fishermen you have kindly provided.
Needless to say my Nan was quite overwhelmed and absolutely delighted
to learn about her father William as she remembers him being at sea most of
the time and was only 12 when he died.

Thanks again, its was her 85th Birthday on the weekend and unfortunately she spent it in hospital
as she had a hip replacement operation only 2 days before. Talking about her dad definitely took
her mind of the pain, if only for a little while.

;D

Offline Neilthomas123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi BlueJacket,

I've got a picture of 4 sheringham fishermen in their ganseys circa 1890s and would like to know more about them and their families. Through a little research i have managed to find their names (from L-R) Elijah Farrow (possibly?), (Henry?) 'Potter' Hardingham, John 'Tar' Bishop, Belsha (Belcher) Johnson. If anyone can help that would be great, and it might be of interest to the Sheringham Museum?

Kind Regards

Neil.

Offline LibertyEben

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 22 February 13 08:59 GMT (UK) »
A fascinating site - I have found so much about my Sheringham ancestors.

I may have a mite to contribute re the picture of the 4 fishermen.  I think that 'Potter' Hardingham was George Potter Hardingham i.e. it was his middle name, rather than a nickname.  He was born 1858 in Runton, married Sophia Cox in 1880, and was widowed 2 years later.  I further think he is on the 1881 census on the 'New Admiral' in Great Grimsby, as George Potter.
Does this make sense to anyone else?

Offline Flintsprite

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 24 August 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Bluejacket.
I hope you are still active on this site . i have just come across your posts in relation to Thalia. I live in a flat in a property once owned by John Philip Wells and the deeds state he changed the name to Thalia My research is actually about the family that he purchased the property from but found the information on Master Mariner Wells and his boat fascinating. I must go down to the museum to see if they have a photo of him or Thalia.I hope it was ok to get in contact ,kind regards
Flintsprite

Offline Rock of Ages

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Back on Ancestry now so can give you the information I have. In April 1881, my great-grandfather, " King Kong " Grice, and his older brother " Chicken ", were in Grimsby aboard " Reaper " ( YH458 ), a 30-ton dandy cod fishing boat. The skipper was Henry Johnson, 2nd mate was his brother John; the rest of the crew were Robert Davidson, James Farrow and John Gladdin Craske, all Shannocks.
Other craft fishing there were Pledge, Baroda, Volo, Pearl, Perseverence, Whimper, Billow, Advance and Dasher....such evocative names!
On one census I found a list of names on vessels out of Grimsby, unintelligeable names; a mixture of Scandinavian, bad spelling and a bad hand at Scrabble! There were also a few women and children. Any idea what that`s all about?
One thing I noticed about my Sheringham family tree, was that most marriages took place around Christmas, some even on Christmas day. Would this be the small gap for rig changing, from mackerel to cod?
  I believe The Perseverence is in the Grimsby Heritage Centre.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Not uncommon, even today for merchant seamen to take their wives and small children with them on long voyages, much more common in earlier times. I was brought up in Boston near the docks, and in the late 1940s and 1950s the small coastal ships using the docks, generally from Netherlands, Germany and Denmark, but with a few rarer visitors from Eastern Europe and Russia thrown in, along with some British often had women on board. Some of the Eastern Europeans were often officers.
By that time there was no trawling out of Boston, the Boston Deep Sea Fishing co. had moved to Fleetwood in the 1920s, so there were only the local inshore boats left. None of these stayed out overnight really, sometimes though due to tidal conditions.
Scandinavian names in Grimsby are quite common, when compiling payroll for Grimsby railway staff in the 1960s I was struck by the numbers of people whose names ended in ---sen and ----mann, so again this does not surprise. Regarding spelling, it is always well to remember that there was no standard spelling before the late 18th century, and then due to lack of education it caught on rather slowly. Like a registrar recording a birth etc. a painter naming a fishing boat would record what he heard, and paint that on the side of the boat. There are similar records of eccentrically spelt locomotive names from the railway engine builders. Again the same cause.

Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 12 February 21 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bluejacket,
I have not looked at this site for some time, hope you have been able to find all the information you wanted to complete your task. Intersting to read all the replies etc. I eventually did mine and had the book published by the History Press 'The Riiver Welland, Shipping & Mariners of Spalding'
Regards
Keith J Seaton

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 12 February 21 14:59 GMT (UK) »

Offline straitonmj

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Bluejacket.
I hope you are still active on this site . i have just come across your posts in relation to Thalia. I live in a flat in a property once owned by John Philip Wells and the deeds state he changed the name to Thalia My research is actually about the family that he purchased the property from but found the information on Master Mariner Wells and his boat fascinating. I must go down to the museum to see if they have a photo of him or Thalia.I hope it was ok to get in contact ,kind regards
Flintsprite
Hello, am interested in these comments about JP Wells, am trying piece family tree together and finding out more about Master Mariner Wells. Any info would be appreciated, thanks so much., Kind regards,
Straitonmj