Author Topic: Sheringham Maritime & Fishing History  (Read 33964 times)

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sheringham Maritime & Fishing History
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Blue Jacket,
In the book "Humber Shipping" by Arthur Credland in the chapter about lifesaving etc there is a photo with the caption "The early lifeboat crews made a living fishing off Spurn; they were a mixture of Yorkshire coble fisherman and Norfolk men using the classic Sheringham crab-boat, characterised by having ports for oars rather than thole-pins or row-locks" The photo shows a crab boat named "Littleteddy"
Regards
Keith

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
  • "THALIA" YH1066 last Sheringham owned Great Boat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi keith.
            Thanks for your reply. This is very interesting inrformation about the Sheringham fishermen at Spurn Point with their crab boats. The Sheringham crab boat was unique to the North Norfolk coast and were used for fishing up until recent times. The modern crab boats were motorised, but basicly the design was the same as the old sailing versions. Do you know if the book Humber Shipping is still available?

Many thanks.

Regards.
Blue Jacket
NURSE & related names from Weybourne & Kelling , North Norfolk and beyond.
Also researching the maritime & fishing history of Sheringham, Norfolk.

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Not sure if the book is still in print. My copy was 2nd hand and was published in 2001.The photo is credited to the Hull Maritime Museum. Also 2 photo's and details in "East Coast Shipping" by A A C Hedges, published 1974 & 1989, photo's credited to the Newcastle on Tyne City Libraries. Will scan & email to you.
Regards
Keith

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
The vessel shown in the photo could be any of the fishing smacks berthed at Boston up to very recent times. The only significant difference being the YH identification.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith.
            Thanks for the kind off er of scans. In the 1881 census there were two Sheringham fishermen enumerated as lifeboat men at Kilnsea, Joseph Little & George? Bishop.
At the end of the 1800's there was a large population of Sheringham fishermen and their families living in and around Grimsby. The nickname for Sheringham people is Shannock and until the 1970's at least the inshore fishing boats were known as Shannockers in Grimsby.

Regards.
Blue Jacket.

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger.
                  Thanks for your reply.I am afraid I do not know what photo you are referring to, perhaps the intended photo did not load properly.  ???

Regards.
Blue Jacket

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
The Sheringham crab boat posted by you in rerply No.10. I believe the design goes back to the Vikings, there have been some of these type of ship abandoned in the Haven on the opposite shore to Boston Dock entrance all  my life to my certain  knowledge.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger.
                  Sorry. Another senior moment, must be the lack of liquid stimulant in this hot weather.
It is said the design of the Sheringham crab boat go back to the Vikings. They certainly landed in North Norfolk.
The crab boat in the photo is 21' x 8' x 3'. For their size they are a very seaworthy boat and will take some heavy weather and I can speak from experience.

I expect the boats abandoned at Boston Haven are a lot bigger in build and possibly were shrimping smacks. During the 1960's there were still a few motorised smacks working out of Kings Lynn shrimping  and cockling etc.

Regards.
Blue Jacket.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 11:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, I would agree from memory I think the smacks at Boston including those on the Haven would be around 40 feet long.