Author Topic: Tods Glen near Durris, was it a workhouse?  (Read 13362 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Tods Glen near Durris, was it a workhouse?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 July 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Malky ,

I would think it would refer to an empty building , I'm sure I have seen references on the Census to people living in tents.
Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the Census requirements would be able to advise.

ev

Added -
At Penkill In A Tent
1841 Census
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 July 15 19:20 BST (UK) »
When one looks at the map, all other properties are shown. There are several "Glens" in the immediate area, hence my thoughts re the tents, or even caravans. (I have also seen comments re tents in censuses)
Ie, who owns this land?, Tod(d). (Hence it's Todds glen). Can we pitch here, as a group of paupers. We know that there is a workhouse about a mile from here, but we cannot go there (for whatever reason) The comment "Note see Memorandum Book." may clarify if it can be found. I wonder where it can be viewed?

Regards

Malky

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 July 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
A Tod is a fox in Scots,  Tods Glen makes sense.  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 July 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     I don't think Todd's Glen was either a Workhouse or tent/caravan. From maps, the area is a mass of crofts or small farms, a few of them not named. It's more likely to be either a local name for a place or a croft/cottage not named on a map.
     I tracked Isabella Thomson from the 1861 Census to see if there were any clues there, but it just added two more place names in the same area. 1851 Census. Isabel Thomson, age 56, Stocking Knitter, born Birse, living at South Barns, Durris. 1871 Census. Isobel Thomson, age 78, Pauper, born Birse, living at Sunneyside, Durris.
          http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.0408&lon=-2.4168&layers=6
     Barns lies to the east of Funnach Wood while West Funnach is on the south side. Sunnyside lies directly south from West Funnach and Lochton a bit further south.
     On the 1861 Census, Janet is listed as a pauper, ie. someone who doesn't have enough income to support themself. Does it also mean she would be receiving Parish Relief? If so, there might be Records, but I'm afraid I've no idea how or where to track them.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 July 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
Just received this reply from Scotland's people regarding this query.

Problem: The 1861 census for Durris mentions a comment in the "Memorandum Book" regarding a place/dwelling called (Todds Glen)
    "1861 Census, Janet Coutts, age 83, pauper, born Glenmuick, Aberdeenshire.
    She is boarding with Isabella Thomson, age 66, pauper, born Birse, Aberdeenshire.
    This is written in the space for the address:Todd's Glen Note see Memorandum Book.
"
We are trying to find out more about Todds Glen.
Where can these "Memorandum Books" be viewed?
Thank you.
Regards

Malcolm.

"Malcolm,

Thank you for your email.

I'm afraid there are no other books related to the census , other than the enumeration books.  The Memorandum book is just an administrative instructions  and notebook given to the Enumerator.

This link may be helpful.
http://www.talkingscot.com/censuses/census-1861.htm   and http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//research/census-records/1861-census-instructions.pdf

I'd say that possibly part of the building was uninhabited and therefore Janet was in the same house as Isabella.  ( see mark in uninhabited space and lint to signify end of household)

Hope this helps to some extent,

Kind regards,

Eileen Thomson | Internet Team Manager"

Regards

Malky

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 July 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     Error on my last post: I said Barns lies to the East of Funnach Wood. It doesn't, it is West of Funnach Wood. (Senior moment)
     Malky, SP have been quick to reply to your query. Shame it's not led any further forward. Wonder what the note was?
     Let's hope someone local to the area will spot this thread and come up with the answer to Todd's/Tods Glen.
     Good luck with your search.
               Regards,     Dod.

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 July 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it's the un-named property between Glenhead and Mill of Blairydryne, just down from Quithelhead - it's on the early OS maps, but vanishes later on.  The entry for Todds Glen on the 1841 census is bookended by Quithelhead and Milltown Of Blairydrine.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74427597#zoom=5&lat=10005&lon=6799&layers=BT

If they were paupers, it's worth contacting Aberdeen City & Aberdeenshire Archives, who hold poor relief records for the North East of Scotland.  Their contact details can be found on their website at www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/archives

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
I can't find any locals who have ever heard of Tod's/Todd's Glen.  The parish of Durris covers a very big area and everyone I know gets lost up there.  www.workhouses.org.uk/Kincardineshire may be of interest.  You would die of exposure trying to live in a tent in north east Scotland!

Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     I've always thought of Work/Poor/Alms houses as large places in towns but I see from the Link that 'Designer Jeans' posted that in rural areas a Poor/Alms house could be just a single cottage or pair of cottages. Could be the cottage at Todd's/Tods Glen was a Poor house after all. (Thankyou Valerie, I've made a note of that site)
     I think the un-named property between Glenhead and Mill of Blairydryne that 'Archivos' referred to in his post is the one shown on this Scotland OS 6inch 1843-1882 map. (Move the cursor over the map to find the same location on the satellite view)
     I love these National Library of Scotland (nls) maps. Click on Explore Georeferenced Maps to change from Side by Side view. Zoom in/out and slide Blue Dot for an up-to-date satellite overlay.
          http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=57.0271&lon=-2.4228&layers=5&right=BingHyb

3 buildings are shown at Glendhualt School which also lies between Glenhead and Mill of Blairydyrne. Click on 2. Select a map series. From the drop down menu choose OS 6 inch 1888-1913 map. Un-named property not shown and the school is now Dhualt Hall with only 2 buildings shown. Same with the OS 25 inch 1892-1905 map although that map shows that the L shaped building at Dhualt Hall is divided into 3.
     Photos of Dhualt Cottage, Hall and surrounding area shown here.
               http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fug/
     and here,
               https://geolocation.ws/v/E/3957031/glen-dhualt-in-spring/en
     Regards,     Dod.