Author Topic: Comptroller of the Pipe Roll--is there a list of persons?  (Read 1377 times)

Offline dayvida

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Comptroller of the Pipe Roll--is there a list of persons?
« on: Sunday 18 July 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
A very specific question about an Exchequer post.  My 10th gr-grandfather Robert Barham was appointed Comptroller of the Pipe Roll in 1596, and held the position at least until 1610, and quite possibly until his death in 1630.  This office was charged with gathering, copying, and issuing writs based upon various county Sheriff's tax data.  It involved an office in London, and travelling to various counties on occasion.  What I've been searching for is a published list of officeholders for this position, showing dates of service.  To date, I've found one reference via Archive.org, which is a digital scan of a publication of the Antiquarian Society in the 1860s, wherein a vellum document detailing all the royal offices of 1610 was presented to the society; Barham is shown as still holding the office.  The original appointment certificate from 1596 is available from National Archives as an orderable scan.

Documentation of royal appointments is huge, and it may be that other per-annum lists, which would include C-of the-P, have been collated.  It would seem a natural thing to have done.  Exchequer documents in particular are notoriously extensive, going back to the first pipe rolls of the Norman era.  If Robert Barham were in fact still holding this position at the time of his death, it would add an additional wrinkle to his sudden death while on a journey across country en route to Chester.  My hope is that there exists some sort of royal office almanac series, or barring that a work on the history of the Exchequer that might contain histories of specific offices with the tenures of those holding them.  Thanks for any help! :)
Barham/ Berham in Kent and E. Sussex, Franckelyn/etc. in Kent, Sare in Kent, Ady/Adie in Kent, plus allieds.  Families tended to range from Wadhurst, E. Sussex, to Maidstone area and east to Faversham, plus London.  Focus on early Tudor to Restoration (ca. 1500 thru 1690), and Maidstone area parishes.  Family tied to 17th C. Virginia.

Offline Marijane Sprouse

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Comptroller of the Pipe Roll--is there a list of persons?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
This Robert Barham is my 9th gr-grandfather and I would like to know .  Have you gotten anymore information ad what do you know about his sudden death?  Any information would be apprecited.