Author Topic: Higher Broughton Dividing Wall  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Higher Broughton Dividing Wall
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 June 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
I am intrigued as to why there was a wall between Salford and Manchester. Who built it /paid for it to be built ? I have recently discovered relatives living in Broughton in the 1870s and a birth in the family is registered as Salford so I am curious. Why  on earth did they build a wall ? It sounds more than slightly mad. All information gratefully received.
Joney
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton

Offline hutch16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 June 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
I was born in Charlotte St and was always under the impression that the wall was built to divided Salford 7 from Manchester 8. this was before Postal Codes came into being.

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 June 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
It strikes me that a few notices or signposts would have done the job. It sounds like an extreme measure to take
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton

Offline hutch16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 June 17 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, I heard when I was young that the wall was built because the people  in that area of Manchester thought that they were rather "Up Market" compared with the poorer people of Salford.
And I certainly remember the wall runing from St James Rd to Walnut St excluding section destroyed by WW2 bomb damage..

Offline Clairee_annaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 December 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Poppy, I see your comments about your gran who lived on walnut street in WW2 and that the family opposite was Midgley. I wanted to reply to you as the Midgley family was actually my Nans family, she was 16 when they died. Her mother father brother and sister were in the house when it took a direct hit. My Nan had just left to go out with a friend. I would be keen to hear about any more  information you have found about this.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 December 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Clairee_annaa,

Welcome to RootsChat. I was just checking on poppy's email notifications and there maybe a problem...it was 2010 since she last logged in and at the moment there is a block from her email from picking up messages from RootsChat.  I have tried to send a message but not sure if it will work.

Kind Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pipkins75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thanks to all who have posted replies to my message and apologies for not responding, not sure why I have not been receiving notifications, but thanks to Sarah for trying to contact me to let me know.  I  will attempt to look into the technical bit after this!

Clairee_annaa - hello and thanks for your message.  My grandmother only told the story of the night the bombs hit Higher Broughton once and it was never mentioned again.   I remember she said she would never forget what she saw.  I did not dare ask any questions as I  remember being too afraid and its too late now. 

I wish I could give you some information but all I know is she was invited to a birthday party at the house next door  to your grandmother's.  The Cotterill family.  She didn't go because her father, (my great grandfather) was coming home on leave from his war duties.  I am sure she must have known your grandmother.  My gran was also 16 at the time.   

I have a couple of pictures of the croft on Walnut Street but sadly, none of the houses before they were bombed.  I also have a picture of what appears to be a street party on Walnut Street with lots of people I cannot identify apart from my grandmother and two of her brothers.  If you want to PM me I would be happy to share these with you. x

Hutch16 - hello, I also have the Martin family in my tree.  My great granddad's sister, Maria married Harry Martin.  I recognise the names you mention but only from my research, I wasn't around to meet any of them then.

Poppy x

Offline Clairee_annaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello poppy, so glad you got my message I would love to see the photo, I have tried to pm you but days I am not allowed to send personal messages. Are you able to send it to me?

Thank you :)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clairee, now you have made a couple of posts you can access all functions of the website including pms ;)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk