Author Topic: Carew Tything Barn  (Read 13602 times)

Offline willie79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carew Tything Barn
« on: Sunday 18 July 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hello, can anyone tell me why my ancestors were living in the Tything barn at the time of the 1841 census? Was it still a tything barn, or had it been converted to accomodation? Also, occupations were given as "watermen", exactly what would that have been? Thanks in advance for any info, best wishes, Gwyn
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.

Williams, Lowe, Sagar

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carew Tything Barn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 July 10 00:13 BST (UK) »
Perhaps they were early Naturists  ;D
You can stay there and bare all these days:
 http://www.relaxnude.com/TythingBarn.html

Seriously perhaps the current owners could tell you?

Offline willie79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 July 10 00:18 BST (UK) »
Ha Ha, yes, been all through that, quite a shock when I Googled it!!!! i imagine the barn was demolished after 1841, as there is no census listing for it in 1851, so I doubt that the present owners would know much. I was hoping for a local historian to have some ideas about it. Thanks for your interest, regards, Gwyn

Williams, Lowe, Sagar

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 July 10 00:18 BST (UK) »
The Barn had probably been converted by 1841 as the Tithe Commutation Act (1836) commuted tithes to rent-charges instead.

Offline willie79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 July 10 00:22 BST (UK) »
Right! yes, that makes sense. I did wonder how approx. 20 people, (2 families) were living in a barn! Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "were you born in a barn"!! I did wonder whether it may have been the local Poorhouse, a forerunner to the later Workhouses. I hope not, they were my family after all!

Williams, Lowe, Sagar

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 July 10 00:29 BST (UK) »
Waterman occupation - definition:

Someone who worked in the transportation industry, specifically someone who transported passengers from docked ships to the quayside. See also Mariner, Sailor, Boatman, Able Seaman, Seaman.

Perhaps he took people across the Cleddau or the Carew River as there would have been no bridges?

Offline willie79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 23:57 BST (UK) »
You are probably right! Would have expected them to have been called ferrymen or bargees or maybe sailors, bit strange to call them watermen. The name implies supply or removal of water! But given we are 150+ years on, titles and names change.
I have looked at several websites with photos of Carew Tything Barn campsite and there was one photo of what appeared to be a ruined cottage, but it was too small to be a barn! Other than that, the owners are advertising 2 holiday cottages, but there are no pictures of them. I did wonder whether they may have been the barn, converted into dwellings. I suppose I will have to take my rags off and go and have a look!!
I think I will go with your first suggestion and give the owners a ring and ask them. If anyone knows, I guess they would, many thanks for your interest, regards, Gwyn

Williams, Lowe, Sagar

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 July 10 00:37 BST (UK) »
Gwyn,

Probably Waterman is about right as sailor or ferryman may be too grand  :P

This site for old occupations gives this defintion of Waterman:
Boatman who plies for hire - usually on rivers

http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/w.html

May even have been the little coracles you still see in some parts of Wales.

Sometimes there would have been a bell at the edge of the river and people would ring for the chap to come and row them across.

After 1852, when the railway arrived at Carmarthen, people came from South Wales valleys to Ferryside by train, and were then ferried across the Towy Estuary to Llansteffan for holidays. And there was another ferry to cross from Llansteffan to Laugharne.

There was still a ferryman at Laugharne when Dylan Thomas lived at the boathouse.

Apparently in 1850s there was a public house at West Williamston and Lawrenny locals forded the river to get there because their pub was closed!

http://www.experiencepembrokeshire.com/history-archaeology/community-heritage/lawrenny

Hope you are lucky with the owners. Are you going camping there?  :P

Morgan

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 July 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
It was the Tythe Tax that was converted not the the Tythe Barn, which would have been surrounded by cottages(hovels) of the supporting labourers at the time, probably paid by the Vicar out of his Tythe Tax's.
If you have no luck else where ~ I can check out the 1837-41 Tythe Map of Carew which I think is still at the Rec Off, find(jpeg) the location and advise you accordingly. If by chance the map is not there then it will most definitely be at the NLoW and/or Kew Gardens(TNA).
There where many rowboat ferries across the Cleddeau and its estuaries, with more than a few lives lost in crossing accidents. There was also the trading boats up and down the river not least the earliest ever welsh international coal export from Cresswell Quay down the river.
Of all the times I ride out through Carew I never realised there was such a Nudist Camp, oh how reading this posting brought back vivid visions of my wife and I in West Berlin.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015