Author Topic: Carew Tything Barn  (Read 13628 times)

Offline Jasperdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carew Tything Barn
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 07:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Morgan. I was a bit confused to receive Gwyn's second message but all is clear now.

Hi Gwyn. My wife's line appears to go directly back to Thomas Williams via his son Thomas Williams - both in the 1841 census at the Tything Barn - and his son George. Any links so far?

Regards

David

Offline gwyn79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hello David, Many thanks for your reply. This stuff is complicated, isn't it?
All routes seem to lead me to the Tything Barn at Carew. To answer your original question quickly, yes, there are definite links. Your Thomas's brother was Lewis, who was my GGGGrandfather. That then makes Thomas your Wifes GGGGrandfather, am I right? What relation that makes us nowadays is beyond me!

Sadly, I can find no record in the 1851 census of the family. I imagine they had vacated the Tything Barn. I have a marriage certificate for Lewis dated 1850, the address given is Carew Lane, which still exists.The certificate also lists his father as Thomas Williams, labourer.
 Lewis's son, again Thomas, then moved to Llanharan, near Bridgend and married Anne Davies. Their first born son was named Lewis! and was my Grandfather. The rest of the children appear to have been named after Thomas's parents and siblings!
The census returns from Llaharan has Thomas as born Carew circa 1850-51. I have searched for birth records for the time, but there are so many Thomas Williams's! I have failed to find a birth reference for him, not helped by the fact that the early records did not have the parents names.
However, having found a family that have all of the names which have been handed down through the generations, at the relevant times in the areas I expected to find them, I am 90% sure I have found them!
Interestingly, my middle name is Lewis, as is my Fathers!
We are living in the Valleys of Gwent, in Crumlin. I hope this gives you some insight into the family, look forward to hearing from, Kind Regards, Gwyn Lewis Williams.

Offline gwyn79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 22:53 GMT (UK) »
So,   no reply from David yet! Perhaps his wife has told him not to bother with us, she may have found out that we are the "Black Sheep" side of the family!
Seriously, my Dad has told me many times that there was a tremendous "bust up" in the family many years ago. He has no knowledge of why or when, but the rumour has been handed down through the gererations. I wonder if there is any truth in it?
Come on, David, put me out of my misery!
Regards to all, Gwyn

Offline Jasperdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 November 11 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gwyn,

Nothing personal in my delay in replying, neither my wife or I were aware of any bust up or any black sheep in the family, but she is very nosey and would like to know more!

The delay was as a result of me purchasing Ancestry's Family Tree software, which also gave me a free subscription for 6 months. I waited to install it and try to find some more info about Lewis for you but have failed so far. I did a house by house check of Carew in the 1851 census and the Tything Barn does not even get a mention; perhaps it was vacated completely.

Eira, my wife's family stayed in Pembrokeshire a bit longer than your side but her grandfather John (Jack) Williams and his wife moved up to Maesteg, for work we believe, but did not stay long and moved to Pembroke Dock. Members of the family are still there. Oddly, she married someone from Maesteg, not through the family being there, and they eventually retired to Pembroke Dock.

We visited Pembroke recently and went to Pisgah Chapel, Cresselly, where John Williams and Mary Picton were married in 1905, and found the graves of other members of the family there - in particular George and Eliza Williams and their sons.

Apologies for not replying sooner. If you need any help looking something up just let me know. We will be away for a few days and internet access may be a little "intermittent."

Cheers

David.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I found the address Barn, Carew on 1851, with 3 families living there, including Thomas Adams who was there in 1841:

Thomas Adams, Head, age 48, Limestone Quarryman
Martha Adams Wife age 54
John Adams Son age 16 Blacksmith's Apprentice
Mary Thomas Servant age 14

James John, Head, age 31, Bargeman
Sarah John Wife age 33
Mary John Dau age 5
Martha John Dau age 4
Thomas John Son age 2
Thomas Williams Nephew age 9 months

George Williams Head age 30 Bargeman
Eliza Harts Servant age 14

HO107 Piece 2476 Folio 199 Page 3

Next address on enumerator "walk" is Williamston Park.

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Jasperdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted Morgan. I totally missed the change of name from the Tything Barn to Barn. Many thanks for your efforts.

David

Offline Alexrob75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 September 15 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hello;

I've just come across this post as I've started researching my family history. My family are the Robertson's that lived in Tything Barn at the 1841 census, can't find any trace of them in the 1851 census, any suggestions on where they could've gone?

Thanks
Alex
Robinson/Robertson - Pembrokeshire
Evans - Bucks

Offline Jasperdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 September 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex,
I have taken a brief look at this and am as mystified as you seem to be. There is the record of the death of a William Robertson in Pembs in the Jan - Mar quarter 1849, when your William would have been 69, which could explain his absence from the 1851 census. The strange thing is that I can find no trace of Elizabeth or any of the children in the 1851 census returns for the UK let alone Wales.

I have also searched the Ancestry Public Member Trees but can find no one else researching William. This is sometimes a useful route to follow. I also drew a blank looking in familysearch.org

I am just about to go on holiday for a couple of weeks but would be happy to try to help you and search a little more on my return.

David

Offline Alexrob75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 05 September 15 15:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much David,

much appreciated and enjoy your holidays

Alex
Robinson/Robertson - Pembrokeshire
Evans - Bucks