Author Topic: Robb. Lislaird  (Read 11921 times)

Offline Romily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robb. Lislaird
« on: Sunday 18 July 10 23:56 BST (UK) »
Interested in tracing Robb family, Lislaird,  Castlederg.  I met someone once who told me a book had been written by two sisters on the Robb family in this area.  Does anyone know if such a book exists and where it can be found?
The family I am interested in is the one who lived in a farm opposite the Orange hall at Mourne beg.  Farm house and yard now demolished.  The last inhabitant was Lizzie McGaughey.  She was married to Willie McGaughey who is listed in the census as a nephew of Willie Robb, previous owner.  How was Willie McGaughey a nephew?  Which Robb was his mother? Where did the McGaughey family come from?
Grateful for any help?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robb. Lislaird
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 July 10 00:01 BST (UK) »
Here's the link for 1901 census in case anyone else wants to check what it says.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Maghernageeragh/Lislaird/1723902/

PRONI Will Extracts- see www.proni.gov.uk for full details:
--The Will of Arthur Robb late of Lislaird County Tyrone Farmer who died 3 July 1889 at same place was proved at Londonderry by John Robb of Lislaird Farmer one of the Executors.
--Probate of the Will of William Robb late of Lislaird Castlederg County Tyrone Farmer who died 27 February 1900 granted at Londonderry to Samuel Robb Farmer.
--Administration (with the Will) of the estate of John Robb late of Lislaird Castlederg County Tyrone Farmer who died 8 May 1892 granted at Londonderry to Letitia Robb Spinster.
--Probate of the Will of Jane Robb late of Lislaird County Tyrone Spinster who died 17 November 1909 granted at Londonderry to The Reverend William Duncan Presbyterian Minister.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Romily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Aghadowey. Much appreciated.

Offline yatessa1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 August 10 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there - I'm also interested in the Robbs of Castlederg. My nan was Wilhelmina Robb DOB 1923, daughter of Thomas Robb, and niece to Samuel and Matthew Robb, sister to Thomas, Carol, Renee and Freda. Do you think we are talking about the same Robbs?

Regards
Sally

Offline Romily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 August 10 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
There  were / are many families of Robb in the area. e.g the 1911 census shows the Robbs at Lislaird living in house numbers, 2,7,8,12,14,15,16,18 and 20. 
There are other families in the area.  The ones I am referring to lived in no.12 Lislaird.
They were probably all related in some way or other since the name is in the area since 1800's and before.  Possibly came with the Plantation or before. Some were recorded as of the Presbryterian or Church of Ireland tradition.
At this stage I cannot confirm if we are referring to the same Robbs, but will keep looking and will appreciate if you can get some more info.
For now,
Romily

Offline Romily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 August 10 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Help needed.
In looking at the Tithe Applotment Book for Termonamongan Parish, 1828, Official Website, it lists Robbs, spelt as Rabbs in Lislaird.  This would be  reasonable. 
There are three John Rabbs listed. One is sen, and one has the term/name Ogue after it.
What does the word Ogue mean or refer to?  I know it can appear in some other names today eg McConnellogue. 
Is it a diminuative or refer to an area or physical feature?
Help appreciated,
Romily

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 August 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
Is 'Ogue' in brackets like this (Ogue) ? If so it might be the nickname to distinguish him from other Robb families in the same townland.

Offline Romily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:36 BST (UK) »
Thankyou.  Is there any meaning to it as a word?
Romily

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 August 10 16:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry, not a word I've come across before although 'og' means young.