Author Topic: Peter Colin Blair McIntyre  (Read 12624 times)

Offline Birkenhead

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Colin Blair McIntyre
« on: Monday 19 July 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
Peter Colin Blair McIntyre  . Trying to find out what happened to my greatuncle Peter, who rumour has it, was once a Glasgow City Councillor. My grandfather John Campbell McIntyre died in 1929 (moved to Birkenhead Merseyside) and unfortunately the family lost touch with Scottish relatives in Scotland and with his sister Agnes in New Jersey. According to my grandmother Martha, Peter was sometimes in trouble with the police for expressing his ideas and had a  strong belief in civil rights. We're very proud of him as a family and would love to know more.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Colin Blair McIntyre
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 July 10 11:39 BST (UK) »
From your other post "Born Dumbarton on 24th July 1889 to John & Catherine McIntyre (nee Campbell) brother of John Campbell McIntyre and Agnes McIntyre."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 July 10 11:49 BST (UK) »
There is a death entry showing on the pay to view www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for a Peter Colin McIntyre in Glasgow, birth year 1890, with a death year of 1959. This is the current cut off to be able to view a death cert on line which will let you confirm whether it is the correct Peter.

Scottish death certs are very informative and include details of parents' names, including mother's details, if known to the informant. If it is the right one, details of wife if married, should also be included.

It is the only one I can see with the use of one of the middle names you have. If he didn't use his middle name, it will be a harder search for you unfortunately, as there are many entries for a Peter McIntyre.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Birkenhead

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 September 10 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your advice. I think I have found my great uncle Peter, but still looking for his sister Agnes.
Jeanette McIntyre

Offline Awtobescottish!

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 March 11 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Peter Colin Blair McIntyre was indeed a Councillor in Govan.  He was the "Cloth Cap King of Govan" loved by all the people of Govan.  I believe he was born in 1892 and I know for a fact that he passed on January 9th 1959.  Peter was my grandfather - unfortunately he passed before I was born and I am only now getting some information on him from his last surviving child!  He lived all of his live in Govan and did help people along his life time.  Interestingly enough I had no idea he had a brother named John, although I did know he had a sister named Agnes, who was rumoured to have been very wealthy.  I am just starting to piece together information of that side of our family and would love to know more about John if you have any other information.  In the meantime kindly let me know if you have any other questions and I will ask my aunt.

Offline Birkenhead

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 March 11 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I've spoken to my auntie Edna who is delighted to know that she has a cousin on her Father's side of the family. My grandfather died in Birkenhead in 1929. He had been gassed during W.W.1 and died of pernicious aenemia. He'd been in the R.A.M.C and served in Gallipoli, Palestine and other places. I have a copy of his army record and 1 of the 3 medals he received after the war and a photograph of him in tropical kit. He moved to Birkenhead before the war and worked in Cammell Lairds ship yard until he enlisted. After the war he worked on the Mersey Tunnel as a stonemason. I think he had a very hard life (physically) but from what I know, he was a very happy person. My Dad  was 9 when his father died, Mona was 6 and Edna 3 . They have all said at different times how much they missed him.
For years my Dad used to drive to Glasgow ( he drove articulated lorries for P.&.O) on a regular basis. If only he'd known where his father's relations had  lived .I'm in regular contact with Sheenah Nelson (nee McIntyre) and between us we've built up a family tree going back to the late 1700s. Sheenah has done the most as apart from living in Balloch, she has contacts who are archivists. I live in London and have to do everything on line apart from a few things from Kew.
I'll be checking emails every day and look forward to finding out more about your side of the family. I have a copy of the marriage certificate of our great grandparents Catherine Campbell and John McIntyre. If you let me  have your address I'll send photocopies of all the information I have.
hope to hear from you soon  Jeanette McIntyre

Offline Birkenhead

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Looking forward to finding out more about Peter McIntyre. The Scottish side of the family has been a mystery for many years and we're all eager to find out more about our background.

Offline lostweans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Peter Colin Blair MacIntyre
                                                                                                                                                                                      My father Colin Macintyre always spoke fondly of Peter. He had many wonderful memories of  Peter.
 His Father also Colin MacIntyre was
either having to bail him out of jail after one of his meetings or Peter often went into hiding at my granfather's home in Dumbarton when the 'polis ' were about to arrest him after he had addressed a meeting or rally at Glasgow Green. Peter was one of four who founded 'The Scottish Workers Republican Party ' This was a fore runner of the SNP. John Maclean & John Rankin were also founder members too. John Maclean was jailed for I think for 3yrs and later released and pardoned.  I have copies of Peter's Birth, Marriage and death certificates
He was Married to Annie Esson Fairweather she died in in 1951. I have her death cert. Peter died on 9th Jan 1959. At that point his home address was 693 Govan Road. His death was registered by his son James MacIntyre
of 184 Kingsland Drive, Glasgow.
As a young child I have memories of Agnes ( his sister ) coming to visit us in Dumbarton. This may have been about the time of Peters death. I too was led to believe was well off and I think owned a chain of stores. Jeanette MacIntyre & I would be delighted to contact any of his family.   Sheenah

Offline Birkenhead

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 March 11 23:50 BST (UK) »
Still waiting to hear "awtobescottish" hope that you've not changed your mind about finding out more about my grandfather's side of the family.
Jeanette McIntyre