Author Topic: Peter Colin Blair McIntyre  (Read 12865 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Colin Blair McIntyre
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 April 15 21:23 BST (UK) »
Mick, welcome  :)

Can I just say, what a fine and descriptive write up on Peter McIntyre. I haven't read the rest of the posts here yet (...I know I posted, but only really early on) but what a wonderful piece you have written about Peter McIntyre here. Now makes me want to learn more about him and his life.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 April 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
I do not think this is still available to hear online on BBC Radio Scotland, but this must have been an interesting story. Not sure if alternative sources now? www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019nncx

Jeanette, looks like you had a contribution to this  :)

Page 2 here also has more background to what you describe http://rlhf.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/16-Housing-Skillen.pdf - Camp Squats about Glasgow after World War 2

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mick D

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 April 15 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, Thank your for your kind comments.
 I know he, Peter  was arrested in 1931 for refusing to comply with a new by law imposed by the Labour Council of  Glasgow. The law or regulation was introduced which stopped public meetings and free speech. The council tried to corral speakers into one little area of the Green, Peter and his comrade said no chance. Many of them went to jail 30 days hard labour, 50 days and then three months. I will look out some more memories . regards Michael

Offline Birkenhead

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 April 15 20:34 BST (UK) »
Glad to see that people are still interested in Peter McIntyre. My Grandmother referred to him as "the Bolshevik !" The Mitchell Library is a great source of material about Peter. Contemporary newspaper reports and photographs (Comrade McIntyre). I'll post the details later. Met some members of  the Govan History Society, one of whom had known Peter fairly well. I'm also interested in the Vale of Leven Hunger Marches as I've seen a photograph of the marchers. One of the marchers bears a very strong resemblance to my late father William Campbell McIntyre, so he must be a McIntyre. Peter  has family living in the west of Scotland but seem to be reluctant to make contact. He did a great deal of good for other people and his relatives south of the border are very proud of him. Any more information would be welcome.  Jeanette McIntyre

Offline Birkenhead

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 September 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
Mick D.
  Very touched to read so much about Uncle Peter. Those of us south of the border, great nieces and nephews are very proud of him and all the things he did. I found a few things about him in the news paper clippings in the Mitchell Library and from the Govan History Society.
I'll be in Glasgow/ Dumbarton area in the last week of this month and would welcome advice on any sources of information.
  Thank you so much.
  Jeanette McIntyre

Offline kirbygardener

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 23 April 20 19:30 BST (UK) »
Don't know how old this thread is, but I am the great grandson of an Peter Blair Mcintyre. He had, I think, 5 children including twins Mary and Stewart, Mary moved to Canada and is the only child of his that I knew. I'm trying to piece more info together from my Mum. Sorry if I have stumbled upon a thread about a completely different relative

Offline Lizannestrachan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 March 24 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Peter McIntyre is my great great grandfather on my mother’s side.
His son Alexander born 1930's is my grandfather.
Kirbygardener, Mary is my great aunt & would come visit us from Canada ever 3-4 years before she passed away