Author Topic: Peter Colin Blair McIntyre  (Read 12623 times)

Offline NavanScot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Colin Blair McIntyre
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 June 11 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheenah
                I think you may be also able to help me. My grandfather was Thomas Horsburgh Young McIntyre and his father was Colin McIntyre who was married to Caroline Young. I am hoping that he may be directly related to your family as he was born in Afton Court, which I am told was just beside the present Morrisons supermarket in Dumbarton. He married Ellen Ward and had three daughters Ellen, Anne and Caroline (though Caroline is known as Vera). Ellen was my mother and Anne and Caroline moved to the USA. I am hoping that you will be able to help me. Thanks :)

Offline Birkenhead

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 June 11 10:43 BST (UK) »
all the McIntyres/Macintyres, seemed to live cheek by jowl. Sheenah has stacks of information about family history and i'm sure she will help you. i'm Jeanette McIntyre, grandchild of John Campbell McIntyre, great niece of Peter Colin Blair McIntyre. to contact Sheenah directly, you need to send a message to "lostweans". if you do know anything about my great uncle Peter, i'd be very glad to hear from you.  good luck.

Offline Birkenhead

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Colin Blair McIntyre & OTHER MACINTYRES
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 June 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
to contact Sheenah, her rootschat address is  " lostweans". she is sure we're all related and will be able to help you. we're both having a few problems with this site.  Jeanette McIntyre

Offline lostweans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 00:12 BST (UK) »
 Hi NavanScot,
 Thanks for your messaged via Jeanette McIntyre re your grandfather Thomas Horsburgh Young McIntyre.
 Both my grandfather & father were named Colin McIntyre. I will see if I can help you. Ellen McIntyre certainly rings a bell. Do you have a date of birth for her? My family lived in the same area of Dumbarton.  Could they perhaps be cousins?? My family tended to use the same christian names which I'm sure they knew who they were but we find quite confusing when brothers sisters and cousins had the same names. Do you know what occupation your grandfather & Grt Grandfather had ?
I live locally so I will check with local records & Maps in Dumbarton Library.
Good luck with your research,
Sheenah

Offline NavanScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 June 11 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheenah
 Thomas Horsburgh Young McIntyre was a Ships Plater (Journeyman) as was his father Colin McIntyre they married in St Patricks Church,Dumbarton on 27th December 1928. On the Marriage Certificate in 1928 Thomas was living at 5 John St , Renton.

Offline NavanScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 June 11 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheenah
                 Sorry just noticed I didn't give you my mum Ellen McIntyre's details she was born on 5th September 1930 at 18 Thimble St, Renton, When she married in 1954 she was living at 109 Tontine Park, Renton. Hope this helps.
Brian

Offline lostweans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 August 11 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian ,

Not sure if you have received my email message regarding your Grandparents and family ? I sent it to the email address that Marina Martinolli had for you.

I have just been going through some family records my Grandfather's eldest sister Agnes  MacIntyre died at her Grandparents home 18 Thimble Street Renton. I have also spoken with a friend who knows the Ward family well and she is going to have a look at my family tree.

I have found several Birth/ Marriage / Death & census returns for your family I think I did also send some of it in my email. If I can help at all do get in touch.

Best wishes for  success with your search for your roots.

Kind regards,

Sheenah

Offline Birkenhead

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Colin Blair McIntyre BBC Radio Scotland
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Digging up your roots. in an attempt to discover more about my greatuncle Peter, I have found more information  from the Govan Press and the Evening Times. several people have expressed interest in Peter. if there are any members of his family still around, or anyone who knew him or knew of him, I would appreciate any information you could give me.
Jeanette McIntyre

Offline Mick D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 April 15 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter McIntyre was a legend in my house. My mother and uncles and older brothers would often tell me about him. The spoke of him with great fondness and of his utmost sincerity. In 1946 after the war many families were homeless or living in rat infested overcrowded slums. A wide spread squatting movement rose up all over the inner cities in the UK. My family were from Govan.
Peter marched all the families up to a posh part of the city called Dumbreck he then entered a very large house and brought the families in. He took a piece of chalk and asked how many children do you have, he then marked out on the ground the living space for each family. He assisted them to set up home repeating this elsewhere. Families would put up string or rope and use army tarpaulins to give them some privacy. The eating arrangements were communal, the cleaning was organised and wood for fires gathered. Peter would always be round taking delegations to the NAB, ( national assistance board) A photograph of the court proceedings shows Peter and a group of families including my own father, this was around 46-9 I am not sure. I have seen the photo but I no longer have it.  The house was next door to the Builders McTaggert Mickle, who my mother said was most accommodating, delivering wood from his building site and allowing them to run a hose for water from his property, his wife was also good at brining hot food and treats for the kids. The family McTaggert had the view that these men fought the war and their loved ones made the ultimate sacrifice so he helped out.
Peter was jailed a few times , my uncle told me that the dockers and others would have wipe rounds for his bail. He was described as a large gangly man with a shock of unkempt hair, he could be seen at Govan Cross orating with large crowds of people around him. As the years went by the crowds grew less and less. My uncle said that Peter got a flat in the Pollock area, he must have been wrong. also I was told he would walk every were from Govan Cross to Brigeton Cross to speak at street meetings, he was fearless and disciplined and respected as a fighter for his class. Because of him I was inspired to become a Trade Union official,  it brings a tear to my eye when I think of the love my mother and uncles spoke of Peter McIntrye a name I will never forget. There is no memorial bench, nor place named after him, no plaque of statue, I have often thought of raising the issue but when I think of the treacherous jackals who would be drawn to its opening it puts me off. Good luck and you are from fine stock.