Author Topic: (John) William WATTS b. c1870 Yorkshire  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: (John) William WATTS b. c1870 Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 06:04 BST (UK) »
For Farsley records online have a look here:http://calverley.info/
There is an online database for you to use.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline PhilipS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I had already speculated that my GG grandfather was born in Farsley and have done a little research:-

Considering the birth BMD index for Yorkshire for the period 1865 to 1875, there was only one John William Watts registered during this period, at Calverley in September 1870.  Per his birth certificate, his father’s name was William Watts and his mother is Hannah Watts (nee Bottomley).  His father’s occupation is stated as Forgeman.

Considering BMD marriage index for Yorkshire for the period 1860 to 1870, there is only marriage listed of a William Watts and a Hannah Bottomley.  It was in December 1869 at the Parish Church in Leeds.  Per the church registry entry, the Grooms age was 22 years and his occupation was Forgeman.  The Brides age is stated as being 20 years. :) :) :)

I understand that Hannah’s may have been known as Annah/ Anna/ Anne/ Annie or even Mary.

Considering the suggested 1871 Census entry in the name of Watt.  William’s age should be 24 years (22 years plus 2 years); it is stated as being 25 years, which is within tolerable limits.  Anne (or Hannah?) should be around 22 years of age; her age per the census is 21, which again is a match.  The age of John William being 7 months and the birth place of Farsley makes me convinced that is my GG Grandfather and so I now have details of his parents and am firmly of the opinion that his parents are the young couple who were born in December 1896 at the Parish Church Leeds. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The most surprising element of the census entry is the appearance of James H Watt, aged 4 years.  Which would seem to suggest that he was born out of wedlock?   ???

My branch of the family know next to nothing about the Watts the family and so I realise that to progress the research further I may to research via GG Grandfather’s siblings and so would like to collate as much information on them.

It would be exceptional if my GG grandfather had only one brother. :o

So this evening I attempted to find details of James H Watt(s) birth in Farsely to no avail-so would welcome any assistance which anyone may be able to offer- I kept coming back individuals whose births were either registered in Guisborough or Hull, both geographically someway from Calverley/ Farsley.

Also, I have attempted to trace the 1871 Watt family through the 1881 and 1891 censuses to no avail- so any assistance or hints anyone can offer with this search would be grateful received.

My main search tool is the ‘Ancestry’ website, so if anyone can suggest a better means of searching then I would also appreciate that too.

The other branches of the family have been a doddle in comparison. :) :)

Thanks
Philip

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 July 10 00:09 BST (UK) »
I wondered if John W Watts in 1881 is the one in Manchester - since he marries in that area later.

Mother Annie Watts is widowed, 41, servant, born York. Sort of fits? Though JohnW's father was not deceased when John married, was he?
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PhilipS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 July 10 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I had spotted that entry and wondered about it.

John William's marriage certificate does not indicate that the groom or bride's fathers having died.

However, the brides father was certainly dead- the marriage occurred in 1894.  On the 1891 census, the Bride's mother was listed as widow.

This sort of thing would have been cleared up with a little family knowledge.