Author Topic: Information on County Louth, Nth Ireland  (Read 11737 times)

Offline grantsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Information on County Louth, Nth Ireland
« on: Tuesday 20 July 10 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I've just joined to-day and am eager to do some looking around and finding anyone with an interest in some of my family surnames. I've been doing family research for some years but to-day i have a question about finding any details on-line in connection to County Louth, Northern Ireland. I have only recently found out that my great grandmother Margaret Honeyford nee Reid was born in County Louth. Her father's name was Edward Reid and she was born approximately 1860 and died 19/7/1946 in The Friends Meeting House in Bessbrook, Co. Armagh. Does anyone know where I can start ? 
Northowram, West Yorkshire : Blyth, Northumberland :
St. Peter's, Thanet, Kent : County Armagh, Nth Ireland : Boston , Lincolnshire : Sydney, NSW, Australia : Somerset : Ebbw Vale, Wales.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information on County Louth, Nth Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 12:38 BST (UK) »
First I would mention that County Louth is not in Northern Ireland. (Northern Ireland consists of 6 counties Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry/Derry & Tyrone). The other 26 counties, including Louth, are in the Republic of Ireland. The significance, from your perspective, is that some records for the 6 NI counties are in Belfast, whereas those for the Republic are in Dublin. (A lot of Irish records are not on line, so you need to know where to start looking for paper records).

One fairly easy option for you, if you know where your ancestors lived, is to find them in the 1901 and 1911 censuses. This is free and on line and covers all 32 counties: www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. To start with I've moved this thread to Ireland-General board because more than one county in Ireland is involved.

... my great grandmother Margaret Honeyford nee Reid was born in County Louth. Her father's name was Edward Reid and she was born approximately 1860 and died 19/7/1946 in The Friends Meeting House in Bessbrook, Co. Armagh.
Perhaps this should read that Margaret attended the Quaker Meeting House in Bessbrook?
There is a marriage on LDS Pilot site for James Honeyford to Margaret Reid 17 Feb.1881 (National Register of Quakers).
Here's the family in 1911 census-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Camlough/Church_Road/306123/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, 
   The 1901 census also gives two sons. Family were living at the same location. The 1881 marriage occurred at Lurgan Society of Friends, Co. Armagh.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline grantsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 00:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for replying and especially to Elwyn for pointing out that county Louth is not in Northern Ireland.
I found both Margaret and James Honeyford and the family on both the 1901 and 1911 census and have the details of their marriage, children and deaths. They lived above the Society of Friends Meeting House in Bessbrook for many years as caretakers. I was fortunate enough on my first visit there in 1997 to meet the caretaker who allowed me to go inside and was the only person old enough to remember my grandmother Lucretia !
I have a lot of information on the Honeyford ancestors but have been unable to find many details on Margaret nee Reid , except that she was born in Co. Louth estimated 1860 and that her father was Edward Reid . If I could find her birth certificate , it would probably give me details of her parents. Any suggestions ?

St. Peter's, Thanet, Kent : County Armagh, Nth Ireland : Boston , Lincolnshire : Sydney, NSW, Australia : Somerset : Ebbw Vale, Wales.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 July 10 10:29 BST (UK) »
Statutory records of births only started in Ireland in 1864, so if you are sure Margaret was born before that, then there will be no birth certificate. Normally a birth at that time may be recorded in the parish register, but to find that you need to know her religion and parish in Louth. I note that she married at a Society of Friends (Quaker) meeting house.  Do you know if she was a Quaker prior to her marriage?  I ask because my understanding is that Quakers do not baptize children, and so presumably would not record a birth in a parish register, as most other religions do.  (But I could be wrong about that - other readers might know).  Or you could ask the Society of Friends what records they keep, and what meeting houses they had in Louth in 1860.

Familysearch has a submitted record of Margaret Reid b 1860 (location not stated) to an Edward Austin Reid. The submitters contact details in the US are shown, so you can pursue that if you want. (Treat submitted entries with some caution. Not everyone is sufficiently rigorous with their information and reliability can vary).

I looked at Griffiths Valuation for land owners in Co Louth in 1868. No REIDs are recorded, so no clues there.

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline grantsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 July 10 00:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Elwyn,

I do have Margaret's death certificate details which says she was aged 86 when she died 19/7/1946 at The Friends Meeting House in Bessbrook. I don't know whether she was a Qauaker before her marriage to James Honeyford on 17/1/1881, Newry. I'll try your suggestions with the hope that I can get some more details.
Many thanks,
Janice

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 July 10 14:31 BST (UK) »
http://www.jbhall.freeservers.com/

Check out the above website for Louth genealogy.  The site owner has included a lot of information for the county collected from his personal research.  He did the course in UCD that I'm doing, so I would expect he's been thorough.

There is a Quaker library, they used to be beside the National Archives but I can't remember where they moved to.
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire

Offline honeyford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 July 11 00:05 BST (UK) »
dear janice your grandmother was my grandmothers sister.  I live in co down northern ireland.  I read your posts and recognised my family connection.  Our common ancestor margaret reid lived in carlingford co louth and her son edward hunniford married a cork girl from spike island called eleanor batson who had a plumber for a brother,  she was a cook. my gran muriel was the eldest daughter with your gran lucretia being younger and there was five of them edward being one granny was real upset when he died in july 1975.  I would love to hear from you   love julie