Author Topic: INMAN Mineral Water, Leeds & Huddersfield  (Read 9253 times)

Offline daveyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: INMAN MINERAL WATER, LEEDS & HUDDERSFIELD
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 April 16 14:06 BST (UK) »
Would that be Armitage and Grimshaw? The Yorkshire Evening Post 02 July 1937 has this brief mention in summaries of wills:

Mr. J. S. H. Grimshaw, of 25 Mark Street, Paddock, Huddersfield, one of the founders and proprietors of Messrs Armitage and Grimshaw, minernal water manufacturers (net personalty, £1,792 -- £2,664.

Looks like they might have been based in Paddock (or were in 1903) and were founded by John Spencer Hardy Grimshaw and James Richard Armitage.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 April 16 19:19 BST (UK) »
Could well have been this company.
Thanks.

Offline daveyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 22 April 16 19:26 BST (UK) »
Couldn't spot much in the online newspaper archives about them, but I'll have another go over the weekend :) Looks like the initial partnership was dissolved circa 1903, so possibly the first Armitage died around then? Presumably another Armitage then joined with J.S.H. Grimshaw

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 April 16 19:41 BST (UK) »
Would be interested if you find anything.
Quite difficult to know how large the distribution area was for different drinks at the time.
Would something made in Paddock be sold in Holmfirth?
I recall that when I was a child in the 50's , "pop" was always made by Ben Shaws, a local company. The lemonade was famously yellow and the American cream soda was pink with a thick frothy top.
Yum.
It was delivered house to house by the pop wagon.
Happy days!

Offline daveyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: INMAN Mineral Water, Leeds & Huddersfield
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 April 16 21:40 BST (UK) »
Fond memories of getting bags of chips with bits from the local chippie in the late 70s/early 80s, always along with a small bottle of Ben Shaws "Space Special" pop - a luminous green cream soda which must have been jam-packed with e numbers and colourings ;D

Paddock does seem a long way from Holmfirth, so I'll see if I can spot any other possible mineral companies tomorrow. I've also got a few old Holmfirth guides from the 1950s/60s, so I'll have a quick look in case any of them have got an advert in them.

Offline Rob Bradshaw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 August 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi both,

Just been reading the blog as I have been digging up my garden and found a glass bottle with the text 'armitage and grimshaw paddock' etched into it

Offline pandk2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 September 21 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor
I am late to this thread and I just wondered if you had any earlier information on the company.I  have a genealogical tree for my family from 1950. It was compiled for the descendants of Henry Crowther of Westwood Golcar (1825-1906) (my 3*great grandfather). His mother was Hannah Inman 1782-1840. In the tree is says she was a "remarkable woman who, who stated her determination to work and suceed in business like any man. She was the moving spirit in the woollen manufacturing business at old Lees Mill.  connected with Inman, mineral water manufacturer, Huddersfield. The tree just says she was from Hollinwood in Lancashire (by Oldham) but I haven't been able to corroborate that  - there is a Hannah Inman I can find born in Kirkheaton daughter of Joshua Inman and Hannah Jessop but I don't know. Would you have any info on Hannah Inman and who her parents were?
Kathryn Clark