Author Topic: Mons. A. de Pothonier - Dublin?  (Read 5401 times)

Offline sararvella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mons. A. de Pothonier - Dublin?
« on: Tuesday 20 July 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Have been informed from one of the ancients in the family that one of my g-g-g-g-greats, a Francis/Francois de Pothonier b 1783, escaped from France with a brother who then married in to the Sligo family of Ireland, as in Lord Sligo. I have found the connection between Sligo and de Pothonier, and there does seem to have been a marriage between a grand daughter (frances Mahon) the Lady Anne Browne, a daughter of the first Lord Sligo. However, I'm trying to see if I can't work my way backwards and find out if they are in fact related to my ancestor, there appears to have been a Mons. A de Pothonier arriving in Dublin from Paris in about 1825, information gleaned from Irish news papers, he appears to have set himself up teaching french, and a few years on there's a blurb about his wifes death, leaving him and three children.

Would appreciate any information regarding his first name, birth, death, childrens names or wife...really anything at all!!

Thank you!

Sara

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Mons. A. de Pothonier - Dublin?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
from Pettigrew & Oulton 1834 :

33 Gloucester Street Upper, Dublin
  Monsieur A. De Pothonier - prof. of the French and Italian languages

Same details are listed in 1840.

He's also listed in Thom's 1848 at number 34 with an occupation of 'prof. of the French and Italian languages and scholastic agent'

I dont see any De Pothonier listings in the trade's index of Thom's 1850 or 1852.

He is not listed in the 1863, but there is an Emily & Florence De Pothonier listed at 40 Gt. Brunswick St, and occupations of 'profs. of piano, Italian and French'

There's no sign of any De Pothonier listings for Dublin in earlier directories - Treble Almanac/Wilsons directory (1829), Pigot's (1827)

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
I cannot see any De Pothonir listed in the Peerage of Ireland.
     A term used for nobility,created by the English in there capacity of Lord.
This creation came to an end in the 19th century.

Offline johnny_doyle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Genealogy = navigating brick walls........
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 July 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
you may already have this but just in case it's of interest :

the 1891 census for Hampshire, England has a 75 year old A N De Pothonier, born Ireland. Son Alex (born Alexandria)

He's there in 1881 with wife and 2 children
4 Manor Rd, Twickenham. Middlesex
Alec. N. De Pothonier, 62, Ireland, married, ship broker
Fanny C. De Pothonier 63
Alec. J. De Pothonier 36
Sidney M. De Pothonier 25

The 1861 census has him born in Sligo
A N De Pothonier, 43, Sligo Ireland
Spouse's name: Fanny C E

the 1871 census for England has a number of De Ponthier's visiting a house
Frances De Pothonier 55 Born Galway
Charles De Pothonier 25 Born Alexandria, Egypt. New York merchant
Sidney De Pothonier 16 born Middlesex, England
Madeline De Pothonier 19 born Middlesex, England
Scandan De Pothonier 53 Born Sligo
Niland/Neiland/Neilan/Nyland - Dublin
Doyle - Enniscorthy
McCullen - Coastguards from Drogheda, Co Louth
Shepley - Macclesfield and Wheelock
Clarke - Macclesfield
McDermott - Macclesfield and Dublin
Pender - Dublin
O'Brien - Dublin and Galbally

Offline sararvella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 02:07 BST (UK) »
Cheers for the information,

I'm trying to organize everything on paper and see where it gets me, still have a giant mystery if they're at all related to mine or not! Will continue to trawl and see what I come up with, nagging this mystery.

Thank you!

Sara

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 11:44 BST (UK) »
I wonder if quite a satrical article in Freemans Journal July 1842 will solve the link of Pothonier to 'Lord' Sligo. To condense it:
Headed Romance in Real Life, it tells the story of a wealthy widow in a western county of Ireland who lived with her daughter.  Amongst those educating her daughter was a young man, having a foreign name but believed to be a native of Ireland who taught the daughter music. He wished to marry the daughter but her mother said it needed time (and was also worried about the disparity in wealth)
The couple parted - young man went overseas and made money. He went back and asked again to marry daughter.  Permission again refused.  The young couple eloped to England with the help of the man's married sister. The young lady's male relatives followed her to London but the couple had already married "the bird had flown".
It finishes by saying "As the matter is finally arranged and further secrecy is unnecessary we may relieve public anxiety by stating that the lady is the daughter of the late Dean Mahon and the cousin of the late Sir Ross Mahon and the gentleman the son of M. Pothonier of Gloucester Street".

(Sir Ross Mahon was 2nd baronet of Castlegar and Dean James Mahon was dean of the diocese of Dromore.)
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline sararvella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant! The daughter, was a Fanny Mahon, and a great grand daughter of the first Lord Sligo. The Pothonier was Alexander Napoleon de Pothonier and from what I can gather made his fortune through ships and Alexandria. Interesting it says he had a married sister, wonder who?  I wish I knew his father as he is the crux to this mystery. It would fit that his father was the previously found Pothonier and music and language teacher would it not?  And that Emily and Florence Pothonier, also found working as music and language teachers were his children as well?
I take it there is no way to research births/marriages/deaths for Ireland??? I've been looking for weeks now and come across very little that would help!

Thank you!

Any chance for a link to that article?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages in Ireland started in 1864 and from 1845 for all other marriages. See Introduction to Irish Records-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,442233.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!