Author Topic: Marriage Lookup - Nellie Anderson and Harry Striethorst  (Read 2298 times)

Offline NathanBob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Lookup - Nellie Anderson and Harry Striethorst
« on: Wednesday 21 July 10 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can someone provide an further information on Nellie Anderson and Harry/Henry Striethorst's marriage?

This is the information I have so far from Family Search.

Groom's Father's Name: Harry Striethorst
Groom's Mother's Name: Emma Emerick
Bride's Name: Nellie Anderson
Bride's Age: 18
Bride's Birth Date: 1896
Bride's Birthplace: North Seaton Colliery, England
Bride's Marital Status: Spinster
Bride's Residence:
Bride's Father's Name: George Anderson
Bride's Mother's Name: Ellen Swan
Film Number: 1983706
Digital Folder Number: 4400861
Image Number: 1259
BC Archives Film Number: B11378
Registration Number: 1259

BC Archives has it listed here also:

http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-28D51AA/view/Genealogy/find%2Bnellie%20anderson%2B%2B%2B%2B/2

I know that this is already enough info to satisfy most but what I'm particularly interested in is how long she was in Canada for at the time she was married. Was this recorded on Canadian marriage records back in 1914?

Many thanks,

Nathan.
ANDERSON - Northumberland, Sleekburn, Woodhorn ENGLAND, British Columbia CANADA
CAMBPELL - Irvine, Glasgow SCOTLAND
SWAN - Northumberland ENGLAND, SCOTLAND
PHILLIS / FILLIS - Somerset, Glastonbury ENGLAND
PERRIS - Somerset ENGLAND, Pontypridd WALES
ATKINS - Tredegar WALES
GOODALL - Bo'ness SCOTLAND

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Lookup - Nellie Anderson and Harry Striethorst
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 03:31 BST (UK) »
You can search the 1911 census here  www.automatedgenealogy.com and see if you find her
If not that narrows down when she arrived in Canada.

She might have married as Nellie in 1914 but June 1, 1925 when she married James Stewart she was listed as Eleanor Striethorst and on her death Sept 26, 1949 at Vancouver she was Elinor Stewart.  Birth on that record was May 27, 1898 England.

On passenger lists and census records you might be looking for Nellie or Eleanor.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html
Passenger lists are available to search here but they aren't indexed.   Findmypast might be able to narrow down your search options.

There is an almost illegible passenger lists for Elnora Anderson, b. 1897 travelling on the Empressof Ireland, Liverpool to St. John NB arriving Mar 16, 1912.

Immigration information won't be found on marriage certificates - only the traditional age, name, place of birth etc.

You don't have to start a new topic each time you want more information on a particular family - just add your query to the first post on the Striethorst family and people will respond.  The information that you did miss adding was the information about her being known as Eleanor as that makes a difference in looking through passenger list possibilities.

Debbie

Offline NathanBob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 04:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Yes, she was listed as living in Northumberland, UK on the 1911 census (as "Ellen"). She first married as Nellie, then Eleanor. She was known to my family as Nellie.

So, they missed the 1911 Canada census and then all the kids (except Nellie) came to Australia on the Makura 10th March 1916.

I'm going nuts trying to find the shipping record. She had 7 brothers and sisters, inluding a twin brother George.

The shipping record I've found is Ellen Anderson and kids (all except Nellie) travelling from Liverpool to Quebec on the "Empress of Ireland" arriving 13th May 1912. It states that the mother Ellen was travelling "to husband" - destination Nanaimo. The kids are:

Phillip
George
Mary
Joseph
Violet
Alexander
Lilian

George and Nellie, and Alex and Violet were twins.

So my issue is how did Nellie get to Canada between 1911 and 1914 when she married? It appears as though her father George travelled prior to 1911 as he's not listed on the 1911 UK Census.

I know for a fact they settled in Nanaimo. The father and the boys were coal miners.

ANDERSON - Northumberland, Sleekburn, Woodhorn ENGLAND, British Columbia CANADA
CAMBPELL - Irvine, Glasgow SCOTLAND
SWAN - Northumberland ENGLAND, SCOTLAND
PHILLIS / FILLIS - Somerset, Glastonbury ENGLAND
PERRIS - Somerset ENGLAND, Pontypridd WALES
ATKINS - Tredegar WALES
GOODALL - Bo'ness SCOTLAND

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 05:39 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the record I referred to is then yours and Nellie/Eleanor was travelling by herself or with people that she knew who were emigrating to the same area.  If you can't find the record in in collectionscanada send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a link to the image from ancestry - I'm not even attempting to decipher the faded entries.

Debbie

Offline Tracey Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello I may be able to help with info regarding Nellie Anderson and Harry Striethorst.  Nellie anderson was my husbands grandmother. After the death of Haryy she sent her 3 small children (George Henry, Raymond Conrad and Lillian) to live with her relatives who migrated to Weston NSW Australia. George changed his name to Stewart and became George Stewart. Raymond was killed whilst serving on the HMAS Sydney in world war 2. Records show him as Raymond Conrad Stewart. George returned to Canada to visit his mother just prior to her dying. Both George and Lillian, who changed her name to Irene (married name was Gilligan) are dead now. My husband Tony Stewart, doesnt know anything about Harry Striethorst or any relatives in Canada. Do you think you might be able to help us fill in the missing pieces in Canada and we can help you with all the family details from Australia. The rest of Nellie's family settled fairly closely to each other. Kind regards Tracey Stewart

Offline Tracey Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Its Tracey Stewart here ... forgot to mention I have some old photos of Nellie Anderson/Striethorst/Stewart. and Ray is mentioned for HMAS as Raymond Conrad Striethorst not Stewart. I got that wrong. Sorry. Hope to hear from someone about the striethorst family. Cheers

Offline AncestralFamilyTrees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 April 17 04:40 BST (UK) »
Hello I may be able to help with info regarding Nellie Anderson and Harry Striethorst.  Nellie anderson was my husbands grandmother. After the death of Haryy she sent her 3 small children (George Henry, Raymond Conrad and Lillian) to live with her relatives who migrated to Weston NSW Australia. George changed his name to Stewart and became George Stewart. Raymond was killed whilst serving on the HMAS Sydney in world war 2. Records show him as Raymond Conrad Stewart. George returned to Canada to visit his mother just prior to her dying. Both George and Lillian, who changed her name to Irene (married name was Gilligan) are dead now. My husband Tony Stewart, doesnt know anything about Harry Striethorst or any relatives in Canada. Do you think you might be able to help us fill in the missing pieces in Canada and we can help you with all the family details from Australia. The rest of Nellie's family settled fairly closely to each other. Kind regards Tracey Stewart

John Henry Striethorst's mother Emma [nee Emerick] was married 4 times --
1st to Henry Striethorst in 1885 [divorced] - they had 3 sons: Harry, Conrad, William
2nd to William Cocking in 1898 - they had 3 children who all sadly died in infancy; Wm died 1906
3rd to Samuel John Jones in 1907 - Samuel died in 1912
4th to Christopher Tembey in 1914 - Emma died 1932 and Christopher died 1958

Conrad died 1919 in Nanaimo as a result of being gassed 3 times during the WWI.

That means that any descendants of Emma are from her sons John Henry and William.

Emma Emerick was the daughter of John Conrad [Conrad] Emerick and wife Catherine [Katie / Kate].

She was born May 8, 1869 and baptised Jun 13, 1869 at Ebenezer Methodist Church, Nanaimo BC.

Here is her Find A Grave memorial = https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=159425813

I hope this is of some help to you.
Cheshire, Eng: HADDOCK, WORRALL, DICKINSON, DIMELOW, GOULDING

Lancashire, Eng:  LITTLER, FARRIMOND, BILSBURY, DICKENSON, DICKINSON, THOMASON

Lanarkshire, Scotland: AIRTH, PARK, URIE, JAMIESON, GARDNER, SMELLIE, CRAWFORD

Midlothian Scotland:  AIRTH, BENNETT, EDMOND, MENNONS, RUSSON