Author Topic: O'Neill, Carlow. Crossan, Co Laois/Offaly  (Read 9260 times)

Offline Wicklowman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Neill, Carlow. Crossan, Co Laois/Offaly
« on: Wednesday 21 July 10 09:57 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather John (Sean) O'Neill (born Wicklow 1874) married Elizabeth Crossan (born 1875 Co.Offaly)and they lived in College Street, Carlow. They had eight children Thomas (1898), Elizabeth (1900), John (1902), Marianne (1903),Theresa (1904), Catherine (1907), Joseph (1910)and Peter (1915).
Sean was a printer with The Nationalist newspaper. Elizabeth's Father was John Crossan (born 1836 Co. Laois)and was widowed before 1911.
Peter O'Neill went on to marry Margaret (Peggy) Hogan from 28 Lower Borris and served in the Irish Army artillery division. Can anyone help my research?

Offline Art Mooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: O'Neill, Carlow. Crossan, Co Laois/Offaly
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, If you are still looking for family information for the O'Neill's in Carlow let me know. Thomas O'Neill was my grandfather, I can fill you in on any details you are looking for regarding the Carlow side of the family.
Regards,
Art O'Neill Mooney

Offline Wicklowman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Art,

It's a nice surprise to make contact. Have you any old photos of your Grandfather with his siblings?

Regards, Wicklowman

Offline Art Mooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 14:10 BST (UK) »
 I've sent you a message.....

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 May 15 22:26 BST (UK) »
You say that John O'Neill was a printer at The Nationalist.   Was he there is 1908?   If so, I have a photo of him taken at the 25th anniversary of the Nationalist.    You may have already seen it, but if not, send me your email, and I will be happy to send you a copy.

regards,
  Ros

Offline Caitorourke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 November 15 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I randomly googled my great grandmother (Elizabeth Crossan O'Neill) today and came across this post!  My granny was Kathleen O'Neill (Finnegan) and she also grew up on College Street.

Offline avian

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 November 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Denise O'Rourke is the mother of Cait above (Cáit is the Gaelic form of Catherinnd Cáit is named for the Catherine born in 1907) . Denise is the daughter of the Catherine born 1907. We have photos of Peter O'Neill and his brother Seán who was in the Irish army also. Seán was imprisioned in England following the 1916 rising in Ireland. If you are still interested in tracing the Oneill connection of your family, our son Thomas (brother of Cáit) has an extensive family tree on-line and we can ask him to give you access to that.
I am Hugh O'Rourke, husband of Denise and our family was based at Myshall in rhe 19th century. Myshall is a village in County Carlow half way between Carlow town and Borris.
Denise remembers Peter and Peggy's sons as Hughgo and Gregory. She wonders which son is your ancestor?
Very kind regards
Hugh