Author Topic: LIDLINGTON SCHOOL IN 1851  (Read 5236 times)

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
LIDLINGTON SCHOOL IN 1851
« on: Wednesday 21 July 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
Trying to establish the name, or any other details of a boarding school in Lidlington, Bedfordshire.
Two young children from my family were there in the 1851 census.
George Church aged 7, and Emily church aged 4, there was a total  roll of 38 pupils
They were not orphans, their family owned a pub in Whitechapel.
I have gone back into all the census records from 1841-1871 and found the actual address for the school at 70 HIGH STREET, Lidlington Village.
By 1871 it was still listed as the school house, but there were no pupils, and the schoolmaster from 1841 and 1851 was farming.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan7636

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Following in my ancestor’s footsteps
    • View Profile
Re: LIDLINGTON SCHOOL IN 1851
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 15:16 BST (UK) »
The school appears in the post office directory of 1854 but only gives scant details:
Wright, Wm. Boarding and day school.

It should be remembered that the lord of the manor at that time was The Duke of Bedford who then owned not only vast amounts of land in Bedfordshire but also in London.

As many of the children in the 1851 census appear to have been born in London, including your George & Emily, it is possible that the Duke was perhaps patron of a school that he set up in order to provide a good education for children from the capital. It may even be that the children's parents were connected in some way to the Duke, tenants perhaps of property he owned.

I think it may be worth searching the  BLARS web site (Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service)  http://tinyurl.com/36wd23
to see if anything is listed.

Alan
Hogan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Maddigan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Masters (Lewisham, St Pancras, Clerkenwell)
Knowles (Salford, Manchester)
Farrow (Staffordshire, Manchester)
Atkinson (Lincolnshire)
Ball (Lincolnshire, Rutland)
Hicks (Lincolnshire)
Wheatley (Lincolnshire)
Pearson (Lancashire, Cheshire, Pawtucket USA)
Wilson (Yorkshire)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan, that's definitely worth following up.
All the children seem to have been sent to boarding school at one time or another.
Their father came from a very poor background, but had grand ideas and they all seemed to marry well or have 'better' employment than their father and grandfather.
I found it interesting that a four year old, (and a girl) would be sent away to boarding school, but 10 years later she was at another!
Caroline
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Offline rocheam

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
This is a bit belated but have only just seen your email. Today I found that the 7 year old son, of a publican named Muggeridge in Southwark, London (then Surrey) was a boarder at Lidlington School in 1841. Perhaps it was a school for members of a guild or livery company; It's possible  that publicans would have had a guild one too.

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 September 16 07:38 BST (UK) »
I just came upon this thread with a google search, as I tried to find information on the school mentioned above.

My gg-grandfather Francois/Francis Bauer was a student and boarder there in 1841. He also came from London. He was born and baptised in Westminster in 1828, parents being Joseph and Isabella Bauer. Joseph stated on the census that he was born in Paris, France, and was a cook/chef, and he seems to have travelled to England via Ireland, as the eldest son Hugo/Hugh was baptised in Belfast, Ireland.

Oral history from older Australian descendants has always said that Joseph worked in the French Court, and on linking up with Canadian descendants of Hugo/Hugh, I found they had been told the same story.

By 1833 when Joseph and Isabella had a daughter, Joseph gave his address in Heston, Middlesex, as Barracks, and occupation as Mess Room. Isabella died soon after her daughter’s birth, and Joseph was left with 4 children to bring up. It seems he sent them all off to schools.  In 1841 the three younger children were at schools in Lidlington, Stoke Poges, and Margate.

I still can’t find out any more about the William Wright School in Lidlington though. I've always wondered why Francois was sent to school in Bedfordshire, and find the mention of the Duke of Bedfordshire possibly being a patron of the school quite interesting in light of other things I know about my family in the 1880s.

If anyone else can add to this thread now, it would be much appreciated.

Dee     :)
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 October 20 11:20 BST (UK) »
This thread came up when I was researching William Wright and William Bell Wright (father and son) who were listed in Lidlington at the school in 1851.  Fascinating coincidence!

My ancestor, William Wright, was the schoolmaster referred to above in 1841 and 1851 and I have wondered about him seeming to become a farmer later in life.  I haven't researched him in any detail yet as am working on his son, William Bell Wright, at the moment but the information in this thread has provided some interesting background information.

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 October 20 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian, how interesting - I'll wait to see if you find any more information.

Since 2010 when I started this thread, I had added a note to this census record to research the Harpur Trust schools, but looking at it again this morning I do not see a connection to Lidlington.
Interesting story though:
https://www.harpurtrust.org.uk/our-history

I have located George and Emily's father's will and his lavish family vault in the City of London Cemetery, so he may have come from humble beginnings, but in 1883 died a wealthy man with a keen interest in investments, and furthering industry and the railways. Young George is a mystery to me, such a common name, but I will have another look for him.

All the best,
Caroline.

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 October 20 09:40 BST (UK) »
I hadn't realised this was such an old thread and marvel at the wonders of the internet!

If I find anything which might be useful/interesting re the school etc. I will let you know.

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 October 20 02:04 BST (UK) »
I'll watch with interest.    :)
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk