Author Topic: John JONES, Cadoxton juxta Neath  (Read 21808 times)

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
John JONES, Cadoxton juxta Neath
« on: Wednesday 21 July 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
I am writing about my very big brick wall. I do hope that someone can help me.

My great grandfather William JONES was born 18 July 1840 at 'Brynmig' Dylais Higher, Cadoxton juxta Neath.  His father John JONES was a farmer at that time and his mother was Gwenllian CURTIS.

I have the census data for this family, and the death certificate of both parents. His father John  died 26 April 1869 at Craig y Forest, Cilybebyll, Cadoxton. aged 64 now a general labourer [ he had been a woodward at his son's marriage and on a census]

His mother Gwenllian JONES [nee Curtis],  died 1st June 1887 at Ynisymudw, Llanguick, Pontardawe aged 78 the widow of John Jones labourer. The informant was her son Jenkin JONES in attendance at Ynisymudw, Llanguick, Pontardawe. 

I cannot find the baptisms or birth certificates of great grandfather William JONES other siblings. These were Morgan, Jenkin, Rees, Mary and John.  It looks from census, as if Morgan remained a bachelor.

The marriage of the parents John JONES=Gwenllian CURTIS possibly took place about 1836 when son Morgan was born.

I have searched for years for this information, had a message in the local newspaper, all to no avail.  Family lore told of Rees working or owning a pub, The Smiths Arms, and that John and another brother worked as a school caretaker and caretaker? of a Pontadawe  Club.

Have looked at Polling District MM Alltygrug Ward [PT] Post Town Ystalyfera, Swansea  and found a Rees Jones 322 R O 25 Canal Tce.,Annie Jones 321

Also at
25 Canal Tce., are Brazell Stan Fleming
25 Canal Tce.Brazell Mary Eunice
 25 Canal Tce.,Found Stanley on 1901 2 months old.[RG13/5064/folio 141 verso/ page20] Standley [sic] Fleming BRAZELL is a few months old and living Nr Pant[l]eg Chapel,Ystlayfera, Alltygrug.  His father John is a Tinplateworker.and his Birth Mar Qtr 1901-Brazell  Stanley Fleming Pontardawe  11a 983

I mention the Brazell family as they with the Jones' attended my great aunt's funeral in 1936 Rhondda.  My great aunt, was John JONES and Gwenllian Curtis, grand-daughter.

I have often wondered if they married in Breconshire, or other county, and so I ask for your kind help over this.
I apologise for the length of this request.

Jill
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John JONES, Cadoxton juxta Neath
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
why have you posted on breconshire board when on census the family are b. Glamorgan and lived Glamorgan???
Or am I following the wrong family????
Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
>I have often wondered if they married in Breconshire, or other county, and so I ask for your kind help over this.

This is why!

Thanks Jill
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 July 10 17:56 BST (UK) »
The 1841 Census has the family at "Brynryg, Cadoxton, Dylais, Higher". Glam FHS transcriptions has the baptism at the Parish Church of St Catwg, Cadoxton juxta Neath of -

Jones, Mary,   father John, occ Mason,     mother Gwenllian, bapt 26 Feb 1846, address Brynrhig

Occupation doesn't fit John (farmer 1841 and woodman 1851) but a possibility?

Of the others no trace - after checking the surrounding Parishes (Llantwit Lower, Blaengarwch, Briton Ferry, Neath, Llansamlet, Llangyfellach, Llangiwg, Baglan and Michaelston super Avon).

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 July 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
I am really indebted to you.  Thank you so much for searching for me.  I am going to go through my research again. It was done years ago when the Glam 1851 CD came out.  I was looking for a woodman named John Jones and this one came up, and I seem to have hung on in there. I am a but ashamed to say that I have bought loads of certificates too for this family, and it was all nice and cosy - except for the link from my William to this particular John Jones. Why our Welsh ancestors didn't see the patronymic naming pattern was storing up problems earlier I don't know. ;-((

I agree that the farmer and woodman don't fit too well. Neither does the age of my William Jones. In August 1873 he married and that fact I have substantiated and it all fits correctly.  His age is 28 years a Stone Mason and his father is John Jones [deceased] Woodward. If he is not telling porkies at his marriage then he wasn't born in 1840 at all, but 1845!!

Oh dear.
Thanks for the help.
Jill

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 July 10 18:28 BST (UK) »
yattonharry,
How have you established that your William's mother's maiden name was Curtis?

regards

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 July 10 19:49 BST (UK) »
Not if I discount the Birth certificate I have for the William Jones on census. Here are details in case it is of interest.

18th July 1840 'Brynmig' Dylais Higher, Cadoxton.
William/Boy/Father John JONES/Mother Gwenllian Jones formerly CURTIS Farmer. The mother registered on 26th Aug 1840 of same address.

Thanks Jill

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 July 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I have been looking through some papers and I have a query over Curtis and apparently the registrar found a marriage between John Jones and Gwenllian WILLIAMS.  I wonder if I have the correct Birth Certificate?

Jill

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 July 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
yattonharry,

There's a marriage of a John Jones of Cadoxton, Neath to a Gwenllian Morgan of Cadoxton, Neath on 15 May 1837 (Banns, Witnesses and Consent) - another possible.

Why not post full details of your William's marriage,1873 (wife's details, addresses, both father's occupations - everything) plus whatever census details you have for the pair post marriage. Can then take it from there?

regards