Author Topic: Beattie & Fitchett  (Read 14781 times)

Offline Angus9999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beattie & Fitchett
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 October 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Sorry I'm afraid at this stage don't know who Mary Ann Wyllie's parents are, but if I find out will put it up here.

Angus

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 October 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
I'll look forward to that, thanks.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Angus9999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 05:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Just wanted to let you know, was looking at the death records on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and found the info. you were looking for the reference is as follows:-

1867   SRI Death   FITCHET, MARY ANN (Statutory Deaths 267/00 0020)   04:29:18

Basically, it just says that Mary Ann Fitchet (nee Wyllie), widow of James Fitchet (Farmer) died at the age of 87 on 4th November 1867, it also has in brackets on the entry (illegitimate) this is under James Fitchet's name but on her entry so don't know if it relates to her or him.  She died of general paralysis at Mains of Bridgeton St Cyrus, Scotland (this was the family farm) and her son, David Fitchet was present.  It lists her father as being Thomas Willie (deceased) - the word father or farmer is listed under his name - can't tell which and her mother is listed as being Mary-Ann Falconer. 

Also, you can access the wills/testaments of James Fitchet (Mary Ann Wyllie's husband), her son David Fitchet and daughters Jane and Ann Fitchet (both remained unmarried) all on the Scotlands people website mentioned above.

Hope this helps

Angus

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Don't think she is one of mine, or if she is, I don't know where she fits in.

The illegitimate will refer to her, and it will be farmer not father I think.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 November 10 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi my Gt x 5 G/parents were Isobel FITCHET & Thomas MURISON married 1742 at Montrose. I also have a Jane Beattie KINNEAR born 1834 who was my Gt x 3 G/mother Amelia KINNEAR's sister. All from Montrose.

Regards
Shirley

Researching MURISON/KINNEAR/RITCHIE/JACK/LEDINGHAM
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline Angus9999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirley,

Don't believe these are my relatives, but if you're interested Amelia Kinnear's Will/Testament is available on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk the reference is as follows:-

MURISON   AMELIA   15/09/1893   OR KINNEAR, 100 MURRAY STREET, MONTROSE, D. 04/07/1893 AT MONTROSE, TESTATE       FORFAR SHERIFF COURT   SC47/40/62

Also the original records listing the marriage contract between Isobel Fitchet and Thomas Murison are available at that site too.  The reference for that is:-

18/06/1742 FITCHET, ISOBEL [O.P.R. MARRIAGES 308/00 0010 0026 MARYTON]

Lastly on the IGI (International Geneological Index) search available at www.familysearch.org it lists 5 children born to Thomas and Isobel they were:-

James Murison - christened 3 Apr 1743
William Murison - christened 22 Feb 1744
James Murison - christened 23 Mar 1746
Thomas Murison - christened 23 Mar 1746
John Murison - christened 17 Apr 1748

Hope this is of some assistance.

Angus

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Angus  for your reply

I have Amelia's will thanks and Thomas & Isobel's marriage from the IGI but will take a look at the other info you mention.

Amelia had emigrated from Montrose to USA with husband David MURISON and 3 sons, a daughter was born in Boston in 1853. David was killed in 1856 in the Californian goldrush so Amelia returned to Montrose with the children where she lived for the rest of her life.

Thanks
Shirley
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline sanz1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Beattie & Anderson
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 November 10 05:19 GMT (UK) »
I have stumbled on some information that may be of value to piece together the Beattie/Fitchet family history. 
I have found that James R Beattie, 2nd son of James and Margaret Beattie [Montrose], who worked for the Hudson Bay Company, married Eliza Charlotte Anderson 21/05/1860 by Reverend Edward Cridge [I think in Vancouver].  After extensive travelling, it seems they settled in Fielding, New Zealand. 

James R Beattie died [26/09/1890 aged 54 years] is buried with his wife Eliza Charlotte who died [13/7/1918 aged 79 years] in Fielding NZ [photo of the headstone can be seen http://www.mdc.govt.nz
search on cemetery link - type in Beattie.

Apparently they have many descendents in NZ, so looking forward to exchanging any information that can piece together our family history.

Can anyone add to this thread?

Offline Angus9999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 November 10 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sanz1 and anyone else that's interested,

If you go to www.ancestry.com.au and go to search on the tool bar and click on public member trees, then on right hand side of the page half way down, click on public member photos and scanned documents, this will take you to a search page if you type in the name James Beattie, the date as 1881 and the location as New Zealand and click on search, this will bring up a picture taken in 1881 of James Beattie in New Zealand, also underneath that are photo of the street sign, "Beattie Street" named after them in Feilding,  New Zealand there is also a photo of a 3 day reunion that was held at Manakau, New Zealand for descendents of James Beattie and Eliza Charlotte Anderson.  Under that is a family photo of James and Eliza and their children taken in about 1882 at the "Willows" in Beattie Street, Feilding.  There is also a picture of the headstone of James and Eliza and a list of their descendants.  For a photo of Eliza Charlotte, go through the steps above but in the search criteria, put Eliza Beattie with the date as 1865 and the location, London England and you will get a picture of a younger Eliza.

Angus