Author Topic: SANTILLO Family  (Read 5465 times)

Offline robking41

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SANTILLO Family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 July 10 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,

Thanks for all this information I will go away and search through what you've given me and see what ties in.

Thanks again

Rob

Offline SueCov

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 October 16 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi robking41, several years from your posting I know but I have just started researching my family history. My maternal grandmother was married to Albert Edward Santillo, they married in 1894 and had 6 children (that I am aware of) of which 1 was my mother. I am going to Scicily next year to track down any other relatives, can you, or anyone who is reading this, give me any pointers as to where I start before I travel to Scicily.  Thank you in anticipation. Sue

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 October 16 14:34 GMT (UK) »
HI sue and welcome to Rootschat...where and when was Albert Edward born...you may want to start your own post on the Devon board..I see an 1894 marriage for a guy of the same name in Stoke Damerel in Devon in 1894 is this your man?

NAME:    Albert Edward Santillo
BIRTH:    Apr 1867  - East Stonehouse, Devon

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 October 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Here is another topic including the Santillo Family Name with lots of info:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=451018.9

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline SueCov

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 October 16 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol thanks for your speedy reply. That's my man and I have info for the UK side, but what is the 'Devon board?' His father was Peter Vincent Santillo 1827 -1899 and Peter's father was Pietro V Santillo 1796 - 1865 and Pietro's father was Francis Santillo 1776 - 1857 (I think).  Pietro came from Palermo or Castellana and that's where I need help before I go to Scicily.

Kind regards

Sue

Offline T.Santillo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 March 17 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have been researching my family line. My Great x4 Grandfather was Pietro Vincenzo Santillo. My family came through his son, Peter Vincent, whose son was Charles Reuben, whose son was Frederick James, whose son Frederick was my Grandfather. I read on the Dartmouth War Memorial site that Pietro Vincenzo was born in Palermo and joined the RN in 1820 in Naples. I'd love to know why and how to find that information. I was interested to see that you have the name of Pietro Vincenzo's father. Do you have any more information on him?

Thanks

Offline SueCov

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 March 17 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi T.Santillo, I'm afraid I do not have any further info on Francis, I found it on Pietro's marriage certificate. The other information that I have regarding Pietro is: Pietro enrolled in the Navy 07 Nov 1820
Location Naples/Napoli, Campania, Italy
Description - Voluntary enrolment (height 5' 4")
When Pietro married Mary Munday in 1825 it stated that Pietro was based on HMS Aurora. When Pietro died his death certificate stated he was a bandsman on HMS Impregnable.
1861 England census states Pietro was a musician and was born in Sicily but was a British subject

The above info came from Ancestry, I am no longer a member.

Offline T.Santillo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 March 17 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue for such a fast response. Very interesting information. I wish I knew why Pietro joined the navy, especially as it was volunteer enrolment. I wonder whether he was running away from something. Interesting about Napoli too. There's a little 'frazione' near Benevento called Case del Santillo. I now know where the family gets its shortness. Haha! That hasn't changed in all the generations. All small and fiery tempered! Haha!

Thanks again

Offline SueCov

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 March 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Haha. You're welcome. I was told, many moons ago, that the Santillo's were linked to the mafia but I'm sure it was a 'story'. But maybe that was why he volunteered for the Navy... Who knows.