Author Topic: * COMPLETED * William Moir Scott (23 May 1866 - 28 May 1938), Braeknowe, Dundee  (Read 9030 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Greetings frae across the Tay ;)

I'm doing a wee bit of 'digging' for a pal and trying to find out something about WILLIAM SCOTT MOIR (23 May 1866 - 28 May 1938) who lived in Braeknowe on the Blackness Road in Dundee.

It's connected to his son William John Moir Scott R.A.F.V.R. who was killed in WW2 on 8 Sep 1940 and is buried in the Western Cemetery with his father William (above) and mother Katherine Ellen Campbell (9 Jul 1886 - 20 Aug 1971).  Katherine (Kathella), daughter of Alexander Campbell M.D., F.R.C.S.Ed., and William were married in St John's Church, Dundee on 24 Apr 1913 and young William was born on 14 Jun 1915.

I've gathered a fair bit of family information already and I know I'll find William Snr's profession/occupation on young William's Birth Register in Edinburgh, but I'm hoping someone already has the information and is willing to pass it on ... save my SP Credits ::)

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Moir Scott (23 May 1866 - 28 May 1938), Braeknowe, Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 July 10 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi CF

Given the date of son's birth and his marriage, you might well find that there will be a military connection for those years:

The undermentioned to be Second Lieutenants

William Moir Scott (late Lieutenant, City
of Dundee (Fortress) Engineers). Dated
19th October, 1914.

www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28957/pages/8772/page.pdf

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 July 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
From here (deleted) looks to be information regarding his later years:

in 1934 was one of the directors of the firm, James Scott & Sons, Ltd., Mid Wynd Works, Dura Works & Hillbank Linen Works.

Monica

PS: I've deleted the link as there looks to be a bit on living descendants. Sent it to you via PM.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 July 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica

I knew someone, somewhere would be able to help!  I think this closes the topic!

Cheers

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline veritas5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: * COMPLETED * William Moir Scott (23 May 1866 - 28 May 1938), Braeknowe, Dundee
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 10 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi - I've recently bought Braeknowe and I'm restoring it back to one house - I'd really appreciate any history or photographs of the property and the people associated with it.

Many thanks

James

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: * COMPLETED * William Moir Scott (23 May 1866 - 28 May 1938), Braeknowe, Dundee
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 October 10 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi James

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I'm sure Chiad Fear will fill in much. In the meantime, not sure what you have found already if you are researching the history of the house. There are these links which might be of interest:

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/192052/digital_images/dundee+blackness+road+braeknowe/

www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=208222

Monica

Offline veritas5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 October 10 15:21 BST (UK) »
Brilliant - thank you Monica!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 October 10 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for bringing this to my attention Monica ... I had little more than you gave the links for but I've sent a PM to 'veritas5' anyway.

Heading for an early night after a long day in the ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh ... up at 5.15, bus at 6.25, doors open 9.00, worked through 'til 4.15 (with just a couple of 'comfort breaks') then bus home 5.45 and back home at 7.00 ... a bit 'cream crackered' but a good day nevertheless.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 October 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
You're back at the SP Centre...they are going to put a plaque on your chair CF  ;D Hope you found everything you needed  :)

Rest, tomorrow's another day....

Monica