Author Topic: Ada Kenyon missing relative  (Read 11445 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Kenyon missing relative
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry we are not allowed to do 1911 look ups but this link may help you

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355239.0.html

I do wonder if Ada that was with the Sassoon family in 1901 went abroad.  Strangely I knew a 'Sassoon' many years ago and having just gone back on their history they appear to link in with this family. 

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 July 10 13:57 BST (UK) »
Well this has got me most intrigued.

I can find no sign of the Sassoons in 1911 but believe Leontine the mother lived until she was 99!

Portrait of Lady Almeria Carpenter has a distinguished provenance, being once owned by Lady Leontine Sassoon (1864-1955), the widow of the Sir Edward Elias Sassoon, 2nd Baronet of Bombay (1853-1924). After her husband’s death Lady Leontine lived in 17 Belgrave Square and kept open house for the troops in the Second World War and also allowed the property to be used as a supply depot for the Red Cross. Lady Leontine left in 1942 but retained the tenancy of the house until she died aged over ninety in 1955.

I wish I could find out if it was my Ada! Is it common for servants ages etc. to be somewhat vague? I mean surely she knew where she was born? Just wondering if whoever filled in the form just guessed her age.
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 August 10 15:46 BST (UK) »
Well I managed to look her up on the 1911 census and their is an Ada Davies born in Anston with three sons all with the middle name Kenyon, second son born in Preston Park Brighton which would fit in with the Hove connection and husband a butler which would fit in with the lady's maid. However by this stage if it is her (which seems likely) she has knocked 7 years off her age!
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 August 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Well that certainly looks very good, especially as she has given her place of birth as Anston.

There is an Edward Davies in 1901 RG13 Piece780 F78 P2   at  Surrenden, Pluckley, Kent  working for Walter Winans - in 1891 Walter Winans is in Brighton.

I can't see a marriage though  ::)  Still if she told porkies about her age ... 

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 01 August 10 17:52 BST (UK) »
Well it seems the right sort of circles, but he only ages six years not ten if it is him! We can't find a marriage either...

Offline doubleRR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 01 August 10 17:52 BST (UK) »
whoever gave the enumerator her age might have been guessing? indeed she may not necessarily have been sure of her own age
Parrish/Parish: Birmingham, Staffordshire, Shropshire.
Connections: Salt,  Gould,  Neath, Malpas(s), Cox, Jones, Pargeter,  Grainger, Greenaway, Bannister, Car(e)less, Broome, Dawes, Meese, Aga, Howard

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 August 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
I agree that they probably didn't bother to ask servants, but I think she would have known her own age closer than seven years out!

Offline robbied1121

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
I live in Buffalo, NY in the USA. I bought some old books at a garage sale and this was hand written inside....

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
How lovely!

I don’t think it is my Ada but I can’t rule it out. I have just found her on the 1939 census, still with her “husband” who is now a waiter.