Author Topic: address look up 1911-1920  (Read 4027 times)

Offline merlinsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
address look up 1911-1920
« on: Monday 26 July 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hello
Do not know if I am on the correct forum or not.

Trying to establish who lived at number 8 Poplar Row Aberystwyth after 1911.
Possibility Henry Davies and family.
Have  a WW1 records for a possible Gt Uncle, but did not know that they lived at that address, if so this will help solve a few empty years.

Thanking you for reading this and hope someone can do a search on electoral rolls?

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: address look up 1911-1920
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, I lived not far from Poplar Row, but way after this time!   If nobody can help directly, you may wish to contact Ceredigion Archives.   In the past the staff have been extremely helpful and if they cannot find the answer may well steer you in the right direction.   Contact.........

Ceredigion Archives
County Offices
Marine Terrace
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion   SY23 2DE

Tel:   01971 633697 or 633698          e-mail:   archives@ceredigion.gov.uk

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline merlinsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
Dave, thank you for that, will give them a ring.

My Great  Great Grandad had a pub  near the Quay late 1890's also.

Would love to visit this area one day.

regards

Susan

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 14:16 BST (UK) »
Do you know the name of the pub?   In 1881 my gggrandmother and family lived at 10 Rheidol Place which overlooked the harbour.   The houses have since been demolished and made way for sheltered housing.   Later that family moved to Thespian Street and my grandfather had a storage yard on the corner of Thespian Street and Poplar Row.   Now also gone to make way for housing.

Have a look on google maps - gives a great view of the street.

Dave

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline merlinsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
Dave, yes the pub was called Bank Vaults, reason is that it was a bank prior to him having the pub.
I also have a photograph of the street, along with a notice in the local shops advertising lunches/sandwiches available.

All I will say is that they stayed there till he died in 1908. :-X

Susan

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan, I saw your queries on the Aberystwyth site.    It looks as if 3 and 5 New Street are private houses.   I  remember the present site of the Taberna Restauant was a Unitarian chapel (founded 1906 and still in use in 200)7.

The shop on the corner of the even side of New Street and Pier Street used to be a draper's shop - Daniel Thomas.   My uncle worked there until his death in the 1950s.

New Street is a long way from the harbour but not too far from the pier and the centre of town.   My memories of Aberystwyth are still clear, but outdated as I left the town in 1964.

Dave

Offline SP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 March 11 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Aw thank you for that Dave

Yes my ancestors lived in 3 and number 5. This is on my gran's side.

Hopefully one day I might get to visit  :)

How strange is this for you?

I know now that my Gt Grandparents were living in Princess Street 1886, about the same time my 3 xGt Grandparents on my gran's side were also living in same town.

I wonder if they ever visited the pub?

The connection then is my grandparents marrying in Carmarthen  about 40 years later!!
Davies Ruthin, Holywell, St Asaph,Abergele, Llanrwst,
Carmarthen, Rhonda Valley, Hertfordshire

Kelman Carmarthenshire, Manchester, Doncaster Russia!!

Offline SP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 March 11 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Dave
I meant to add that I had no luck with archives@ceredigion.gov.uk
 for that year. but they said that it did not mean they were not living there.

I do not know where else to search for any other information?

Susan
Davies Ruthin, Holywell, St Asaph,Abergele, Llanrwst,
Carmarthen, Rhonda Valley, Hertfordshire

Kelman Carmarthenshire, Manchester, Doncaster Russia!!