Author Topic: Shine family of Dungarvan  (Read 12460 times)

Offline trishhh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shine family of Dungarvan
« on: Tuesday 27 July 10 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there..
I am trying to find more information on the Shine family of Dungarvan. They are listed in the census at Strandside St S. What I would like more information on is the sons that were lost in WW I. 3 sons were lost in the Great War and I'm at a loss to find more information about them.

Also, information on colonel James M F Shine, Royal Army Medical Corps. Trying to find if his father was, Matthew Forrest Shine. It seems that Doctors played a part in the family's history. Matthew's daughter Josephine married James A Forrest (Australia) who was a Doctor and was visiting Ireland in 1901 (census). There is another Shine family in Kilcommon More, North; Tipperaray. With children born in Malta... this could be the travelling Dr. family.

Any help would be great
Cheers Trish

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Shine family of Dungarvan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 09:39 BST (UK) »
Have you already found details of them on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC - www.cwgc.org) ? 

I found one possible match ...

Name: Hugh Patrick Shine
 Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Fusiliers  Unit :    1st Bn.
 Date of Death: 25/05/1915
 Additional information: Son of Col. J. M. F. Shine, C.B., of Abbeyside,
  Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, and the late Kathleen Mary Shine.
 Grave/Memorial Reference:    Panel 42.
 Memorial: Ypres (Menin gate) Memorial

see :  link to details

updated : also found details on John Denys Shine and James Owen Williams Shine both of Abbeyside, Dungarvan. There is also at least one Shine from the Clonmel area ( son of John and Kate).

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 10:47 BST (UK) »
You could also write to the County Library at Dungarvan for  information.

Offline trishhh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thank yo all for replying

I finally found the Commonwealth War Site.... and went through the names... what a shame he lost 3 sons.

Could anyone point in the right direction of any records on their father Colonel James M F (Matthew Forrest?) Shine, he was surgeon in the British military.. serving from campaigns from Boer to WW I. 2 of his sisters married doctors.... one was Huxtable (was at Gallipoli) and the 2nd James Forrest, both from Australia. James was a distant cousin.

Cheers Trish

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 August 13 03:08 BST (UK) »
Know it is a while since your post so you may have found all your information BUT while researching my grandfather I found a copy of a telegram(1913) sent to Dr and mrs Forrest in Charters Towers QLD. In short he was from a director in QLD railway in response to help my g/father with a job as he had been in the same regiment as the son of Dr Forrest. My g/father James Anderson was born Stradbally 1888 and was in Royal Irish Regiment before self discharge in 1908. he came to Australia sometime between 1908 and 1913. I saw your post while looking for a connection. I saw this obituary posted http://tablet.archive.netcopy.co.uk/article/31st-october-1931/20/obituary for Col J Shine died Waterside, Dungarvan.
"COLONEL J. SHINE, C.B., R.A.M.C. Colonel James Shine, C.B., M.D., died last week, we regret to state, at his Waterford residence, Abbeyside, Dungarvan, aged seventy. He was the eldest son of Mathew Forrest Shine, and was educated at Queen's College, Cork. As a military doctor he served in the South African War • and he had also been with the troops in Burma and the dorth-West Frontier of India. During the Great War he was a Deputy Director of Medical Services. He was three times mentioned in despatches, and in 1918 received the honour of the C.B.; three years earlier he had been given the rank of Colonel. His three sons all fell in action during the campaign. Colonel Shine married Kathleen, daughter of Mr. JohnWilliams, of Dungarvan, and was left a widower in 1924.—R.I.P."

I am still trying to find the connection between John Anderson (my grandfather) and the Forrest son of Dr Forrest in Charters Towers.

Erin
Cowell, Hoener, Frazier, Christopher, Dyer, Cheshire

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 August 13 07:33 BST (UK) »
Talk about timing!! Findmypast have a new database starting today, Ireland; National Roll of Honour. Put Shine in the Name box and Dungarvan in the Keyword and you are off.
 Cheers.
 Tom.

Offline trishhh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 August 13 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin..

First of all, let me sort out the family dynamics for you.
Mathew Forrest Shine > father of Col. James Mathew Forrest Shine (Dr.).
                                > Cousin to Dr. James A Forrest, Charters Towers.
Dr James MF Shine Col. > brother-in-law/ 2nd cousin to Dr James A Forrest & Dr Robert B Huxtable, also of Charters Towers - Brother-in-law to Col. James MF Shine.. (keep an eye out for that name).

Col. James MF Shine, had 3 sons that served in the Great War, they all fell within months of each other. James Owen Williams Shine was a Capt. of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion. Perhaps this is the 'Forrest son' that your looking for. Forrest is the middle name, not hyphened.. which has confused a few researchers; so it would be the son of Dr James MF Shine... Who then contacted his cousin/in-law, for some assistance.

Dr James A Forrest's son, Capt HS Forrest served in the Medical Corp in Aust... but I think your best bet is the sons of Col. James MF Shine...

Let me know if you need anymore info .. and love to hear how you go.. as I'm still surprised as to how much contact the Irish & Australian families had.... Cheers.

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 August 13 10:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I will go away and see if I can work out which one is meant. I will dig out the original papers. I don't have much to go on. John was born in Stradbally Waterford and had Aunts in Dungarvan and Cappoquin. His g/f was RIC in Stradbally and his aunts mostly married policemen also. So they would likely to have been known to and have known the Forrest and Shine families , although not travelling in the same social strata ( I would think).

By the by did you allready have the information on Col James Matthew: a very impressive profile. what a tragedy to lose 3 sons . I also saw that Dr James Alexander Forrest died in a Tram accident in Melbourne! 

My parents and grandparents did not tell us anything about the family but they did seem to keep in contact more than I imagined. One of Johns Aunts went to Halifax, Canada. when I kept losing track of them I discovered that they would get the boat back to Ireland for all sorts of family occasions! Then return to Canada!!! Then they decided ( in the one letter that we had) that it was too cold and they were going back to Ireland for good. They did just that after I tracked their lives everywhere and found them hiding back home!!

If only our families had better records for us!!
Cowell, Hoener, Frazier, Christopher, Dyer, Cheshire

Offline NicD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 November 13 18:29 GMT (UK) »
You may be able to pick up an recently broadcast programme on RTE Player (Nationwide Mon 11 Nov) featuring a new war memorial in Waterford which lists the Shine brothers. Their father remarried later in life and had more children. See Irish Times article below.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/memory-of-waterford-s-first-world-war-dead-set-in-stone-as-memorial-unveiled-1.1552258
Logie, Lawrie, Davidson, Noble, Ross, Simpson, Fyffe, Moon, Setton/Seaton, Brough