Author Topic: Halliday's of Moffat  (Read 5068 times)

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Halliday's of Moffat
« on: Tuesday 27 July 10 13:17 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any info on the Halliday family from parish of Moffat. I have quite a comprehensive research back to Ninian Halliday of Newfield Bank born about 1779 but i can't get any further back than this. Can anyone help?

Would be good to hear of anyone with any info on the Halliday family or anyone with info on Newfield Bank whhich i assume was a farm.
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline AHF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Halliday's of Moffat
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 November 14 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Newfieldbank was more like a small holding than a farm. It sits on the left hand side of the Old Edinburgh road as you leave Moffat. It is next door to Sprucebank where William Halliday's first wife Martha Borthwick was from.

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 November 14 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi AHF

Are you stalking me  ;)

Since this post I been to Moffat and seen Newfieldbank. I have also been able to get more information including pictures and plans of the house supplied by the current owner whose family have been there since 1956.

In valuation roles it was described as farm and house and the current owner described it as a croft. It has 10.5 arces of land which is currently leased out to a local farmer.
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 February 15 19:49 GMT (UK) »
      This might be a red herring but I hope not.

I have a little booklet entitled "Dumfries-shire People in Carlisle Newspapers."      It gives very brief descriptions of marriages and deaths between 1775 and 1858.      Entry 623 has someone named Holliday but apart from that it fits the ancestor you are looking for.    It is just one sentence:

"1824 - Edgemuir, Johnstone, Ninian Holliday aged 45.   Farmer."

Now, subtract 45 from 1824, and he was born and you get 1779.     Isn't that the date your Ninian Halliday was born?       Is this any good to you, or do you already have the date of his death?

By the way, when I searched for it with these details on Scotlands People, it didn't come up.

I think the parish of Johnstone takes in  the Annandale area, just south of Moffat.

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 June 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi doddsie

Many thanks for your post. Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you, I got a little sidetracked..... by 4 months  :-\

Since my original post I have greatly expanded my Halliday tree to well over 200 Hallidays! There are several Ninian Halliday's and the one you have found is not the one I originally posted about but he is in my extended tree although the details contradict what I have which is:

Ninian Halliday late tenant in Edgemuir died January 14th 1824 aged 57 years. This is from his grave headstone at the Wamphray parish church which borders the parish of Johnstone. The headstone goes on to mention his wife and son.

As you have found there is no paper death record for him but the age and year of death on the grave corresponds with a baptism record I have for him so i'm certain he is the same person. Your information is curious though.

I have a full history of the Ninian born 1779 and the information you have is not his. I might see if there are any Carlisle newspapers online to look at. Do you know any more information of the entry? Which newspaper and date of entry by any chance?

Thanks again

Karl

Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 June 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
     Entry 623 about Ninian Holliday, aged 45, was from the Carlisle Patriot.     The booklet also has marriages & deaths from the Carlisle Journal & The Cumberland Pacquet.       It is restricted to the time period 1775 - 1858 though.     There are nine Halliday names in it.   Agnes... James (three)... Margaret (two)... Mary... Susan... and William.      And there is a Francis Holliday.

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 June 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Doddsie
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles