Author Topic: Duncan Frederick Basil Rhodes b 1907 stoke  (Read 8721 times)

Offline Warwickshire Bear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan Frederick Basil Rhodes b 1907 stoke
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 January 10 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply had problems with my computer, these were my mother's relations, like so many her family lost contact with this family

Offline Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 14:32 BST (UK) »
To Warwickshire Bear
I put Dr. Thomas Basil Rhodes (my maternal grandfather) into Google and it gave me a print of your search starting 15/01/10. My mother and father were Irene May Stacey (died '52) and Bernard Stacey (died '66). T Basil Rhodes had died before my birth in '38 but his wife lived with us, 'Nanny' to me (I know neither her first name nor her maiden name, but it might have been Crowther) and she died in about '43. 'Uncle Duncan' was an occasional visitor and I last saw him in about '44, married with a little girl (Maureen?) in a little terrace house in London. I would like to restore links with my maternal family and learn more about them. There was an Auntie Louis (great aunt to me) who lived in Carlisle, not far from us now, but I don't know her surname. Lack of funds have prevented me using Ancestry but I hope you can reply with some  news.   From 'Jacket'.

Offline nelville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 December 11 13:51 GMT (UK) »
My maiden name was Anne Christine Rhodes, My father was Duncan Frederick Basil Rhodes. We have lived in Rhodesia since the 50s. My father was married to Shelagh and had six children.I know his sister was Irene, married to Bernard Stacey.They had two children, I think the son was named Christopher,I dont know the daughters name.I think my grandmother was Mary and Grandfather Thomas. He was a Doctor. I think she was a Sanderson.My father was seconded to the Canadian Army in the Engineers. He died in 1979 in Rhodesia.

Offline Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 July 12 12:20 BST (UK) »
I lost track of this: sorry for delay. I'm grandson Christopher, born '38 when living at 12 Burnell Road, Sutton with Basil Rhodes's wife May (or Mary) who died in '42, together with my mother Irene, Duncan's sister (Died '52) and father Bernard Stacey (Died '66) also my sister Gillian (born '43). We moved to the Rhodes's bungalow, Rustington in '45. Duncan was an infrequent visitor to Sutton (I remember he took me to the Circus) and we visited Duncan, Shelagh and little Anne in Wembley
but he later returned to Canada and I think we had no address and so lost touch. Attached photo is the Rhodes grave by Rustington Church with a plaque we had made up about 10 years ago in memory of Irene, whose ashes were scattered in Brighton Cemetary with no grave: why there is no memorial remains a mystery, she died of heart failure after some serious surgery. I'm married in Cumbria and Gillian likewise in north Essex, so scattered. I would like to trace Great Aunt Louis (mentioned in my previous Post) because she lived in Cumbria: if Mary's maiden name was Sanderson then Louis probably was too. Hope this post continues and is of interest to your big family!

Offline nelville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 July 12 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher, we seem to be first cousins. Mum is still alive, 91 years old, and living in Knysna, South Africa with my Sister. She is incredibly fit. I will ask her about Great Aunt from Cumbria, although she has never mentioned her to me.I would love to hear more from you about your life and your sister Gillian. My email address is (*) I am still living in Zimbabwe with some of my family. Unfortunatly due to the situation here a lot of people have left for more stable conditions.My husband and I live on a farm with our son who has recently married and our daughter, her husband and their three children. We grow tobacco and peas, and various other things.
Kind Regards Anne

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline naartjie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 August 12 17:48 BST (UK) »
My name is Shelagh previously married to D.F.B.Rhodes, we were married in Westminster on the 29.03.47.
Duncan seconded from the Canadian Engineers in 1950 transferred to the Royal Engineers.
We visited Irene and Bernard Stacey a total of three visits in Rustington, Christopher was I think 7 and Gillian 4.
The last visit was with Maureen 6 Anne 3 and Mary 3 months. We then spent 2 years in Germany with the Royal Engineers where we were told of Irene's death.
In 1954 we moved to Rhodesia where David, Patricia and Tracey were borne.
I hope this is helpful to you   

Offline Patsy Hoffman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 December 14 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have just joined this site and see you are looking for details of my father Duncan Frederick Basil Rhodes born 1907! What is the nature of your search for information? if you get back to me I will let you know details
Regards Patsy Hoffman (Rhodes)

Offline BelindaR

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
Duncan F B Rhodes was married to Shelagh C.  They moved to Rhodesia.  Shelagh is still alive. 

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 April 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Belinda

A belated welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Warwickshire Bear who started this topic was online here a few days ago but did not reply to your post.

As this topic was started in 2010 maybe a reconnection with the family has already been made.

If not, maybe he will reply here soon.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea