Author Topic: Barrhead - old and odd notes  (Read 14491 times)

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barrhead - old and odd notes
« on: Tuesday 27 July 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
hello

I hope no one minds but I have collected some odd bits and pieces of information over the years on Barrhead whilst rummaging through old newspapers; I am tidying up and rather than just bin everything, if I think it may be of interest to some one at some point, I will jot it down here. If they are too dull just let me know!

MR ALEX YOUNG

Source: Glasgow Post May 1850

“Barrhead – Soiree & Presentation – The block printers in the employ of Messrs Glen & McIndoe’s printwork, Gateside, held a soiree in honour of Mr Alex Young, in Mr Gillis’s  hall, Barrhead on the 26th April.

Mr Andrew King, who acted as chairman, in a few appropriate remarks, introduced Mr Robert Muir, who in a neat and eloquent address presented Mr Young with a pair of silver spectacles and a silver mounted walking stick, which bore the following inscription; “Presented by the printers of Gateside to Mr Alex Young, on entering his 63rd year as a block printer, and also as a mark of their esteem for him as a man and a member of their trade”. Mr Young in his reply, stated, in speaking of his age, that he had now completed eleven years of Sabbaths, which is a long age to be still working. Time seems, however, to have had no effect in cooling the better qualities of his nature, for his warm and generous disposition make him admired by all who know him. Suitable addresses were delivered by Mr Lindsay, Mr Farguhar & c., and Mr P McFarlane and Mr J Wilson sang several excellent songs. The party broke up about midnight, all highly entertained with the evening’s proceedings.”

Mulholland

Source: Glasgow Post May 1851
“Notice

I will not be responsible for any debts my wife, Mrs Mulholland, or Catherine Kelly, may contract after this date.

Peter Mulholland
Cross Arthurlie, Barrhead, 31st May 1851.”

Barrhead News - Edition of 30th May 1919

Divorce Case – paragraph in newspaper regarding the granting of a divorce between Alexander McArthur, coalminer, sometime resided in Nitshill and now in New Zealand and Margaret McIlroy or McArthur, Main Street, Barrhead.

BHN – Edition of 21 June 1918

Description of an injury to James Chapman (aged 12), son of Joseph Chapman caused by an explosion from detonator.

BHN – Edition of 18 January 1918

Paragraph on Mr & Mrs William Craig, late of Cowden Moor Farm, Neilston – celebrating their Golden Wedding.

BHN – Edition of 15th February 1918

Paragraph regarding the death of Malcolm McAulay, 20 Craighead Street.

Barrhead News, Friday 7th July 1911

In the news section, the following:-

“By the death of Mr James Craig, blacksmith, which occurred at the residence of his son, Mr Thomas Craig, Main Street, Barrhead, last Friday, the burgh has lost its oldest resident. Mr Craig, whose age cannot be definitely stated, was long past his 90th birthday, and had for over sixty years actually followed his trade as a blacksmith. He was not a native of Barrhead but came to the town at a comparatively early age, and has been resident here for between sixty and seventy years. He was born in Bishopbriggs, where his father, who was a blacksmith, Cartwright and owner of the village inn, and also held the office of “bishop”, an office analogous to that of a constable elsewhere in those remote days. The deceased took a keen and intelligent interest in most things, but being of a retiring disposition, took no active part in public affairs. He had been retired from work for a good many years, but although confined to the house, his general health remained good, and he retained possession of his facilities until the last. He is survived by five sons and three daughters, but his partner in life, who was well known for her work in the temperance movement, predeceased him about seven years ago.”

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Barrhead - old and odd notes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 20:56 BST (UK) »
Some more odd pieces I have amassed:-

Barrhead News 5th September 1919

“Death of a Native in New Zealand – it is intimated from New Zealand that Mr Robert Craig, a pioneer of Inangahus, has died at Beefton after a short illness, aged 76. Deceased was a native of Barrhead and a cousin of Mr John Craig, 182 Newlands Road, Cathcart, late of Pollockshaws. He served his apprenticeship as a joiner in Barrhead. Mr Craig arrived in the colony about the early sixties. He was a contractor by trade, and erected at Wanganui the first military barracks in New Zealand. He also had the first contract for cutting the track through Broadway, now the main road of Reefton.”

Comment – I think Inangahus – relates to Inangahua (Wikipedia search)

Barrhead News 7th November 1919

“Drowning Accident – A child of one year and nine months, named Agnes Paton, daughter of Robert Paton, while crossing the lade on Saturday last at Wraes Mill, Neilston Road, Barrhead fell into the water and was drowned The sad occurrence was made known by two other young children who had been playing with the deceased on the banks of the Lade. The body was recovered.”

Barrhead News 5 January 1934

“Diamond Wedding – Royal Congratulations

A congratulatory message from Their Majesties the King and Queen, was received by Mr & Mrs John Robertson, a couple formerly well known in Barrhead, who celebrated their diamond wedding on New Year’s Day, at 48 Morningside Street, Riddrie, Glasgow, where they now reside. The old folks belong to Barrhead where they were married on December 31, 1873 by the Rev. Wm Young of the Free Church (now South Church).
Mr Robertson was in the service of Glasgow Corporation for almost 50 years, retiring 12 years ago.
At a gathering of members of his family and relatives the Royal message was read. It ran thus:- “The King and Queen send you hearty congratulations on your diamond wedding day and wish you a very happy New Year.” “

There was a photograph of both of them in the paper.

Offline scottishmist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 October 10 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Murphyz

thanks for posting the newspaper reports
I was interested in Alexander Young sadly he not mine Alexander he too old
cheers Jan
Paisley:Cowan,McFarlane,
Neilston:Thorpe,Young,Edgar,McGraw,McDonald
Strath:Grant,McClean,Chrisholm
Houston:Whyte
Ayrshire:McIlwraith,McCulloch
Kirkcubright:Halliday,Blackloch

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 October 10 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I really must sort out the rest of the odd collection of notes I have taken - I tend to write down info if I see something which may mean something to some one looking at Barrhead relatives.

The Paisley Herald and Renfrewshire Advertiser, 3rd September 1881
Under the Barrhead section

“Child Poisoned – The infant daughter of Mr John Pollock, farmer, Newton Mearns, has just been poisoned through having had a dose of morphia administered by mistake. It appears on Sunday night the child had an attack of colic, and the nurse gave her some medicine, after which the child became very ill. Restoratives were applied but without avail, as the child died the following day after much suffering. It was discovered that there were two phials on the mantelpiece, one containing medicine and the other morphia, and that the nurse had accidently taken the latter and given it to the child.”

The Paisley Herald and Renfrewshire Advertiser,17th September 1881

Under Neilston section

“Neilston – Accident at Crofthead Mills – An accident of a rather serious nature occurred at an early hour on Monday morning at Crofthead Mills. A workman named William Swan, residing at Holehouse, Neilston, who is employed in the turning-shop, having occasion to make use of the hoist, was in the act of stepping upon it when it was in motion, but in doing so he overbalanced, and, falling back, was precipitated to the bottom of the hoist, a distance of about 20 feet. He was very seriously injured upon the head, his nose being split open and his left arm injured. Medical aid was at once despatched for, and, Dr Pride, of Neilston, was speedily in attendance and dressed the wounds. The injured man was removed to his home in a cart, where he still lies in a precarious condition. Swan is a man of about 65 years of age, was diligent and attentive to his duties and of sober habits.”

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 10 22:58 GMT (UK) »
There is or was a local studies centre in Barrhead, but it might be worth contacting East Renfrewshire District Library Headquarters at Eastwood Park, Giffnock, Glasgow as they might be interested. The archaeologists have just published a history of Barrhead in Historic Scotland's Burgh's Survey (oh sorry - you wonder why archaeologists are writing local history books?  - don't worry I think its a reprint of a 19th century account with some archaeology thrown in)
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 March 11 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I know this was a while ago, but do you recall any names in your old papers as Cathcart or Caldwell?  Thanks.

Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 October 12 18:32 BST (UK) »
Some more random notes which may help some one at some point:-

Barrhead News 1907 - small snippets on people leaving for foreign lands. If anyone needs the actual detail, I can go back to the library:-

Edition 15/02/1907 - J.Gilmour leaves Barrhead for New South Wales.
Edition 08/03/1907 - Mr James Harrison leaves Barrhead for South Africa.
Edition 05/04/1907 - Presentation to Robert Hutchison of Glanderston Farm as leaving for Canada.
Edition 03/05/1907 - Mr S Young (no mention of first name) leaves for Canada.
Edition 14/05/1907 - Mr John Scullion going to Canada.
June 1907 - John Stirling going to the USA.
06/09/1907 - Mr R Porter going to Canada.

Small story in edition of 24 July 1908

"Barrhead Man in Canada - The friends of Mr William Sooter (sp?), who left Barrhead for Canada about two years ago will be glad to learn of his success, after settling in Canada. Mr Sooter has been employed as the assistant manager in a hotel in a market town, but has been appointed manager in charge of the Hotel Victoria Carmen, Manitoba."

I realise it is an old message but Re Caldwell etc - I don't think the Caldwell notes I have are your family. In Neilston cemetery there is a stone for William Caldwell, died 1928 aged 73 years; on same stone his wife Elizabeth Young died 1928 aged 73 years and their son William Caldwell killed in action.
I have a poor quality photo of a stone for David Caldwell died 1880, his brother Robert died 1900 and an Agnes H Caldwell died 1912.
There is a stone for Henry Mills in memory of his wife Isabella Caldwell aged 1923 aged 71 years.
I also have a note of a stone for a William Stirling died 2nd April 1930, erected by the office staff at Shanks; but don't know if there was another Stirling stone.
I remember seeing at least one Mowat stone, but it was for Joseph Mowat and Mary Loudon.

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 April 13 09:47 BST (UK) »
I hope no one minds another rather long extract from an old newspaper - came across it whilst looking for something else. Hope it helps some one in the future.

Barrhead News – Friday 27th March 1914

"Death of a Crimean Veteran

The funeral took place at Neilston on Wednesday of JAMES GRIFFIN, a Crimean and Indian Mutiny veteran, who has been long resident in Neilston. He was a native of Kilmarnock and enlisted in the 93rd Highlanders in his 18th year.
In 1854 he was sent out to the Crimea with the first batch of troops, and on the troop-ship he made the acquaintance of Mr JAMES PETERS, Barrhead, who was afterwards compulsory officer under Neilston School Board. Mr Griffin went through the whole of the Crimea War, for which he received the medal with bars for Sebastopol (where he was in the final charge) and for Balsklvana, where the 93rd, under Sir Colin Campbell – “the thin red line” – rolled back the charge of the Russian cavalry and held the position which the Turks had been unable to retain. At the close of the Crimean trouble, his regiment went to India with Sir Colin Campbell in supreme command and for his services there he received the Mutiny medal with bars for the Relief of Lucknow and the battle of Lucknow. At the close of his active services with the 93rd in India, he volunteered into the Royal Artillery, in which he concluded his service of 21 years. He was in receipt of a pension.
Mr Griffin was of a quiet disposition, and must have been a physically powerful man in his prime. He wrought at Springhill for a good many years and was held in high respect. He always retained a keen interest in the army and loved a chat with other old soldiers on military events of the past. His old regiment, the 93rd, was represented at the funeral."

Offline LindaLily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 April 17 08:23 BST (UK) »
Wonderful!
The couple mentioned in 1918 was my ggGrandparents and the following year they moved to Canada to live with their daughter and her family. How might I find the complete paragraph about their Golden Anniversary?
Thanks!
Linda Murray
Calgary, AB, Canada
BHN – Edition of 18 January 1918
Paragraph on Mr & Mrs William Craig, late of Cowden Moor Farm, Neilston – celebrating their Golden Wedding.
Murray, Steele, Kennedy, Elliot, Marrs & Whitesmith in Cumberland