Author Topic: Barrhead - old and odd notes  (Read 14482 times)

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barrhead - old and odd notes
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 July 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
From Barrhead News 18th January 1918

"Mr & Mrs William Craig, late of Cowdenmoor Farm, Neilston, celebrated their fiftieth anniversary of their wedding on Monday night. They were married at Commore, Neilston on 14th January 1868, by the late Rev William Hunter, Haggs, Stirlingshire. The ancestors of Mr Craig farmed Cowdenmoor for generations. Mrs Craig is a daughter of the late Mr John Gemmell, Commore, the representative of another family long associated with agriculture in the parish.
Mr & Mrs Craig retired 14 years ago, and went to reside in Shilford, from which they moved last May to No 9 Woodstock Drive, Merrylea Park, Newlands, Glasgow. The gathering on Monday evening was attended by the nearest relatives and friends, who conveyed their congratulations to the aged couple, and also presented them with valuable gifts. Mr & Mrs Craig's family consisted of three sons and one daughter, and there are four grandchildren. One of their sons was Mr William Craig, under manager of the Brazil Electric Light and Power Coy., Rio de Janeiro, who joined the navy after the outbreak of war, and was lost at sea."

Though the Barrhead News as Cowdenmoor - another spelling is Cowdenmuir.

William Craig (the son referred to in the newspaper) is listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website. Died 23 October 1916, Royal Navy Reserve, on HMS "Genista". On Portsmouth Naval Memorial. Parents listed as William and Mary Gemmell Craig, of Laurier, Manitoba, Canada.

Offline LindaLily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barrhead - old and odd notes
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 December 17 06:42 GMT (UK) »
I thought I had sent a thank you for this transcription but it appears I did not. So thank you very much as I greatly appreciate you taking the time to do this.
Linda Murray
Murray, Steele, Kennedy, Elliot, Marrs & Whitesmith in Cumberland